What's new

Wellness Center

As continuing with a part of the B&B's goal to keep information flowing to members with not just information on shaving goodies but as the Clubhouses goal, an active network of sharing healthy choice information. There are many members who can contribute and we can all sure use some help in some area of a healthy lifestyles.

This doesn't mean eating like rabbits because I'm sure not going to stop grilling-up a porterhouse by any means:001_smile. But it is good to know what we can do to help those who want to be able to get back into their fighting weight.

Here is a Body Mass Index formula to know where you stand and where to begin to set your goals to. I'm very fortunate to work for a corporation where a healthy lifestyle is high on the company's motto. So as I help create information at work I'll pass it along to you as well.

Healthy Body Weight
BMI is a number based on a person's weight and height that provides a way to estimate the effect of weight on health. The higher the BMI, the greater the risk of some diseases, including high blood pressure, coronary artery disease, stroke, osteoarthritis, some cancers and type 2 diabetes.

1. Write down your weight in pounds (example:190)=
2. Multiply that number by 703 (190x703=133,570)=
3. Multiply your height in inches by itself (70x70=4,900)=
4. Divide the answer to #2 by the answer to #3 (133,570 divided by 4,900=27.26) = Your BMI

BMI Categories

Under 18.5-Underweight
18.5-24.9-Normal Weight
25-29.9-Overweight
30 and above-Obese

Now don't get discouraged if you're not happy with your results. Weight is only one part of your health. Even if you carry some extra weight, eating a healthy foods and being a little more active can help you feel better, have more energy and lower your risk of disease.

I hope this helps.

Take that with a grain of salt, though. I'm 6'1" 185 lbs and considered borderline overweight by BMI standards, which if you ever saw me would make you laugh pretty hard. My body fat is around 14-15% so my muscle mass skews the measurements.

Take that with a grain of salt, though. I'm 6'1" 185 lbs and considered borderline overweight by BMI standards, which if you ever saw me would make you laugh pretty hard. My body fat is around 14-15% so my muscle mass skews the measurements.

Oh most definitely. I'm 5-10...er uh I mean 5-9ish:001_rolle but I land in the overweight category.

I think there are a few who know can benefit from this though and know it's not muscle mass that skews the measurement.

BMI is a tool and used a lot because of its ease of calculating for anyone. It does not however measure body fat. BMI's purpose was never to be used as a diagnosis, it is the most widely used guideline and used for convenience.

As Chris pointed out it doesn't suit him nor would it for me but the measurement of body fat does.

The BMI is a guideline and it takes 20 seconds to figure out but it's a start and gets people thinking if they have a problem. There are a lot of factors to it because of aging and loss of height and so on but as I've said and say again it is the simplicity of the BMI.

Top Bottom