What's new

Water temp, shimming, and RAD

I just started DE shaving last October but I had been using a brush and tub soap for about 35 years. During that time I started heating water in the microwave. It seemed like the hotter the water the longer the cartridges would last. I could get about 30 shaves from a Mach III.

For some reason when I started DE shaving I stopped doing that, maybe having read about razor burn with hot water rinsing. Anyway, watching GeoFatboy videos I saw that he said his tap water came out at 120 degrees F. I used my microwave to replicate that temperature and now I'm getting a much better shave. My tap water isn't nearly that hot. I soak my brush in the 120 water for a minute or so while rubbing my face with the hot tap water. While shaving I rinse my razor in the running tap but then I dip it into the 120 water to warm it up after the rinse. It's been working really well.

When I first got into this I developed the Razor Acquisition Disorder and I bought a nice collection of vintage Gillettes. I'm very happy with them, but after six months the fever seems to have passed. So if you find yourself with RAD, it might be a temporary condition. My wife was a little concerned at first that I was becoming a hoarder of antique razors.

On the shimming, I actually went back to the first DE razor I purchased, a plastic Wilkinson Sword I got in Germany. Initially I thought it was a little too mild so I was using my adjustable slims, triangle pre-war Tech, or old style open combs because they were more aggressive. I heard about the shimming thing and tried it on the WS and it worked great. I was thinking about using it as a travel razor as it's pretty light and easily and cheaply replaceable if lost during a trip. I'm a bicycle tourer sometimes so weight, even a little, makes a difference. With the right temp water and a shim I can get a good shave with Cremo, which means I don't need to carry a brush. That makes for a very small, light shaving kit. I put the Cremo into a small refillable travel tube.

To get the water hot enough when traveling I use a portable immersion heater. They work great if you're somewhere with 220 volts. I bring a metal cup to heat the water and a smaller plastic cup for the shaving water. It's double purpose because I can heat up a tin cup full of water, use a little bit to make a small instant coffee and then let the rest cool off a bit and put it into the plastic cup for shaving water.

Sorry for the long post but I thought some of these thoughts might help others.

I started out shaving with full-hot tap water. Then I went to full cold, including bowl-lathering with cold water. I stuck with that for a while because it seemed to reduce razor burn. After some time, I switched to warm water, and I've stayed with that ever since. I keep the water heater in my house set pretty high, so maybe my 'warm' is closer to some people's 'hot'. But, at any rate, I don't really care what temp the water is nowadays.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I started shaving with warm water, but then saw someone saying that using cold water had helped reduce their irritation. So I gave it a go and it also helped me. Its been a couple of years now and I'm still using cold water.

I just started DE shaving last October but I had been using a brush and tub soap for about 35 years. During that time I started heating water in the microwave. It seemed like the hotter the water the longer the cartridges would last. I could get about 30 shaves from a Mach III.

For some reason when I started DE shaving I stopped doing that, maybe having read about razor burn with hot water rinsing. Anyway, watching GeoFatboy videos I saw that he said his tap water came out at 120 degrees F.

After Goe Fatboy posted a video in which he tried to prove in a single pass shave, and because a Dovo sales rep told him so, that Dovo straights leave the factory shave-ready, I decided that a) his standards were considerably lower than mine and b) I should stop taking whatever he preaches seriously.

120F hot water is clearly excessive and will damage shaving brushes.
According to Mühle, the maximum water temperature should be the maximum that your skin feels comfortable with.
And I doubt that is 120F.
Thäter even advocated a much lower temparature.

Instead of cranking water temperature to insane levels, invest in a proper 3 minute pre-shave technique with a sponge or washcloth, maybe some soap, and you will find that it makes a difference.

But the choice is of course yours…

B.

For some reason when I started DE shaving I stopped doing that, maybe having read about razor burn with hot water rinsing.

Oh, one more thing:

I think you misunderstand the notion of “razor burn” and take it too literally.

The Cleveland Clinic has the following definition:

Razor Burn

Razor burn is a common skin condition that can develop after you shave. Causes include dry shaving, shaving too fast, shaving with an old razor or shaving against the direction of your hair growth. Treatment for razor burn includes cold compresses, emollients, aloe vera and home remedies such as apple cider vinegar or oatmeal baths.

Not a word about razor burn being caused by hot water. 💦

B.

Oh, one more thing:

Razor Burn

Razor burn is a common skin condition that can develop after you shave. Causes include dry shaving, shaving too fast, shaving with an old razor or shaving against the direction of your hair growth. Treatment for razor burn includes cold compresses, emollients, aloe vera and home remedies such as apple cider vinegar or oatmeal baths.

B.
No, I understand razor burn and the theory of cold water rinsing to avoid it. Actually if you watch "Good Morning Vietnam" you'll hear the cold water rinse for razors suggested by Armed Forces Network. I tried it, but the razor burn I was getting was probably due to having my adjustable slim on too aggressive a setting not the water temp.

Oh, one more thing:

Razor Burn

And yet it recommends a cold washcloth as a remedy—as does pretty much every site out there, along with a cold water splash. Seems to me that, if you shave with cold water, then the remedy is built into the process.

I like to heat water using an electric kettle with ten temperature settings (works well for tea and coffee in the morning, too). Getting the water a little hotter than tap water helps heat up the equipment. Let the water cool slightly and it is good to go for shaving. I prefer it very warm.

And yet it recommends a cold washcloth as a remedy—as does pretty much every site out there, along with a cold water splash. Seems to me that, if you shave with cold water, then the remedy is built into the process.

Using the remedy for the excess instead of the actual action that could potentially lead to excess, sounds to me like taking Alka-Seltzer instead of having a glass of Scotch. 🥃

Cold shaving is not for everyone…

B.

I use warm water, (I emphasize warm, not hot) only to beat the lather in the bowl. For all other steps in the wiping process, I use completely cold water.
After multiple attempts, I realized that cold water works better for me. Thus, the skin remains calm, without traces of irritation.
Also, hot water is bad for synthetic brushes. Platforms like this or social networks are full of photos of damaged brushes.
The main reasons why a synthetic knot changes its appearance are: letting it dry on the knot, not washing soap well, aggressively rotating in only one direction when lathering, the most common cause is hot water. Still, as expensive as they are, it's just nylon.

I occasionally use a thermos full of boiled water from the kettle, and adjust the basin temp by adding small amounts of thermos water to the hot basin water. It definitely makes a big difference to my shave when I take the time to do it!

Top Bottom