What's new

Wade&Butcher "Medium Size Hollow Ground" Restoration

Recived from customer for restauration.

-new set of scales made from African Blackwood (the same shape as original ones which was broken)
-light blade polishing with Dico compounds
-pin hole reduction from almost 3,5 mm to 1,6 mm
-honing (Naniwa 1k, Belgian Coticule and finished on Ozuku Kiita)

Before:

proxy.php

Polished blade with pin hole reduction:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Scales:

proxy.php

proxy.php

....and final result:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

That looks really good and the step by step photos are very instructive! If you don't mind my asking, what's the blackwood like to work with? The appearance is a lot like mahogany and it's really pleasing to the eye. I can imagine it with a hand rubbed linseed finish.

Nice job - I like how you set the wedge up - I'm going to give that a spine next time.
Blade and scales look excellent!

If you don't mind my asking, what's the blackwood like to work with? The appearance is a lot like mahogany and it's really pleasing to the eye. I can imagine it with a hand rubbed linseed finish.

African Blackwood is very hard and dense wood and it takes polish excellent. This one is polished up to 1000 grit dry paper. After that I apply Encerite (few coats) and hand buff it. I will leave it as it is (no high gloss finish) because customer wants natural look.
It is much more darker than mahogany and in nature it is much more beautiful than photos represent.

Really like the way this razor turned out. I made a brush from Blackwood - really liked the way it turned out. I used a couple of coats of Tung Oil, and finished with Renwax. I have another piece that I will use for scales.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Nice work...but wow, nice anvil too! I have a rusted old 3/8 block to peen on....

Nice work...but wow, nice anvil too! I have a rusted old 3/8 block to peen on....
I was thinking the same thing! I've got an old hammer with a divot drilled into it.

Very nice looking job on the razor. Love those scales.

Top Bottom