What's new

Voskhod's: The smooth-ness of Teflon.

Just a quick post about my success tonight with my first voskhod. I got a blade sampler with my first razor, but didn't love any of the blades really, astras and personna reds seeming to be the only 2 makes out of 5 blades in the sampler that worked for my face. A week or two ago I decided to test the waters of the great blade exchange. I've been fooling around with SE's for the past week, so I didn't get a chance to try any blades until today.

I threw a voskhod into my merkur 1904 Bar and got a DFS. I'm still working up to ATG on my neck, every time I've tried it so far results in major irritation. I've been working more and more on no pressure, good lather and proper angle, and I think it's finally paying off. Also the voskhods were nice and smooth. I'd imagine that has something to do with the coating. Strangely enough, even though they are not super sharp ( Last blades in my DE's were feathers and crystals) and I did get a little tug ATG on my cheeks, I still found that I had 0 irritation. Awesome shave, and I have another voskhod to try in my Red Tip SS! I love that they are so cheap, and If my next few voskhod shaves are as awesome as this one I may have to go for the 100!

AND I've still got to work my way through some PolSilver SI's, Gillette Blacks, Bluebirds and a recetly bought pack of Gillette Yellows.:thumbup:

Voskhods are one of my favorites. If you like them, I suspect you'll like the Super Iridiums as well.

Mike

I've shaved twice with a Voshkod in my Merkur 42c and have to say, it's a great shave. I only have two of these blades to sample, so I am being a bit judicious with their use. I will probably move the two-shave Voskhod over the the Tech and see how that performs.

I also LOVE the Voshkod. My other favorite blade is the GSB. While I have had a poor shave with a GSB in an Aristocrat I have never had a poor shave that I can recall with the Voshkod....although I haven't gone back to the Aristocrat again....yet.

I suspect the smoothness has to do with the Teflon coating as well. It's a bit harder for me to judge the sharpness. If I had to guess, the GSB is just a little sharper and the Voshkod just a hair smoother, while just slightly less sharp. I have really wanted to try the Super Iridums as well, but given the cost of the GSB's and the Voshkods it's just hard to justify the cost of the SI's....even though compared to the cost of carts they are still stupidly cheap.

I stocked up on both Voshkods and GSB's.....although not enough for my comfort level. I bought 200 of each. In my quest to try different blades I have traded some of both away. In fact, I traded some of my GSB's for my first 30 Voshkods. I have about 175 of each blade left with plans to buy 100 each month for the next several months...just to stock up in case production ends, as often happens from the St. Pete plant, or supply gets low and prices shoot up.

Regardless...the Voshkod is a great blade and one of my favorites.

Love how my 2011 R41 behaves so much smoother and nicer with a Voskhod in it. Currently in my top 2 along with Gillette Blacks. I am in the process of building up a big stash of these blades.

Last edited:
I just had no idea that such a cheap blade could be so great, I'm thrilled that they work for my face, easier on the wallet in the long run anyway.

I've only been wetshaving for about 3 months now, but I've been doing a lot of blade experimentation (trying to keep everything else somewhat static) I'm happy that I finally have been able to come across something that really truely works for me, without the dreaded neckline irritation.

Just like WWII, the Russian put American ingenuity into economical practice with this one. Reference is to how the Russians used American steel process to make the T-34. This time it is with Teflon. A very good blade to me. It is up with the Israel Personnas for me. One of my top 5s but I am still testing. So far I have liked the Rapira blades better than St. Petersburg and have also seen similar variety with brands. Although I think Rapira and Sputnik are sharper than the St. Petes, they seem to give me less irritation. Maybe it is technique. I will see when I use GSB or Astra again.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Joe:
Awesome dude...glad you like the blade! :thumbsup:

A long, long time ago, I received a Russian Sampler
attachment.php
to test, but in the end...I fell in :001_tt1: with the Voskhod (now my one & only 'go-to' blade).
proxy.php

Read More: http://badgerandblade.com/reviews/s...ion-voskhod-teflon-coated-razor-blades&cat=50

Read More: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/327703-Voskhod-Comrades-Club?highlight=

proxy.php
"Да...бритва [лезвие] не может быть обострена на части бархата". Автор неизвестен (translation...“Yes...A razor [blade] can’t be sharpened on a piece of velvet”.
Author Unknown)

PS Did you know that Voskhod means 'sunrise'
proxy.php
in Russian?

Last edited:
I may try a pack of rapiras one day, but I still have plenty of blades for now, but if the next few shaves out of this blade, and the shaves I get out of the other one I have are as awesome as this one, next payday I'm getting a 100 count. Besiseds, it's only 10-15$!!!

I didn't know Voskhod means sunrise, but IMO that just makes them even more awesome.

I got in on a group buy elsewhere a couple years ago and picked up 1000 of them. They were my only blade for a while, but don't work terribly well in my R41. In that I prefer either the Permasharp Supers or Rapira Swedish SS. I still have about 800 of them to use. They are my favorite blade in my Old Type. I get a nice comfortable shave with little to no irritation.

I got a Russian sampler recently and have really found the V's to be a fantastic blade. I'll be getting a couple hundred in the very near future.

Last edited:
I'm a sucker for good blades.:thumbup1: Got some on the way.

Me too, Pierce. I tried a couple from the Blade Exchange and I just placed an order for 100 (my first ever 100 blade purchase). I was going to get only 50, but I figure this give me plenty to PIF and exchange for other interesting blades.

Top Bottom