What's new

Vintage Simpson S10, restoration tips?

Awesome. What knot are you going to get, super or something else?

I love seeing all the old dept store names. Imagine walking into F.R Tripler & Co during the mid/late 20th century and buying that S10!

Awesome. What knot are you going to get, super or something else?

I love seeing all the old dept store names. Imagine walking into F.R Tripler & Co during the mid/late 20th century and buying that S10!
F.R. Tripler seems like it was a classy establishment for many years!

I'm having an internal debate on whether to stick with Super, which is okay,, or request SiLVERTiP, which I know I like.

It's here! What a beauty! I went with the Super Badger, so branding is still on point too. Overall a very pleasant experience, shoutout to Anna the rep who helped me out the whole way. And very reasonable price for knot removal, handle revamp, and a new knot. Very excited to add this big brush to my rotation! I also got a little X1, quite the size difference! I measure the S10 knot as roughly 26x55mm. Link to a short video of the brush

Attachments

• brush.jpg
    brush.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 34
  • brush2.jpg
    brush2.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 34

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Agreed, my only vintage Simpson brush, from around 1930, has a knot which is very different to any modern Simpson knot I have tried. I would not replace the knot unless absolutely necessary.
My dear friend, would you kindly share a couple of pics of your 1930's Simpson? It would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

The OP's Vintage Simpson S10 in this thread is just STUNNING.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
It's here! What a beauty! I went with the Super Badger, so branding is still on point too. Overall a very pleasant experience, shoutout to Anna the rep who helped me out the whole way. And very reasonable price for knot removal, handle revamp, and a new knot. Very excited to add this big brush to my rotation! I also got a little X1, quite the size difference! I measure the S10 knot as roughly 26x55mm. Link to a short video of the brush
What a FANTASTIC restoration! Is the Simpson sticker your original one just reapplied or a new one vintage-style?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
My dear friend, would you kindly share a couple of pics of your 1930's Simpson? It would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

The OP's Vintage Simpson S10 in this thread is just STUNNING.
Hi Marco,

Certainly, my oldest Simpson is a Major marked 'London Made' which I think means it was made prior to 1941 when the Simpson factory in London was destroyed. So I assume the date is 1930s or thereabouts but I am not certain. I sent images of the brush to Simpson and Mark kindly confirmed it was a vintage Simpson Major.

1715755795839.png

1715755608552.png

1715755655608.png

Top Bottom