What's new

Vintage April, 2024

Friday morning vintage April shave rated 9.5/10 using:
  • Razor: 1941 Gillette Aristocrat
  • Blade: 1970s Personna 74 (2)
  • Brush: Omega 10098 Barber’s Boar
  • Pre-shave: Noxzema
  • Soap: Stirling Electric Sheep
  • Post shave: Thayer’s unscented Witch Hazel followed by Old Spice splash and Stirling Christmas Eve balm
PXL_20240426_132321978.jpg
I stayed on the Aristocrat theme and selected the next oldest one from my collection, a minty 1941 example on which Gillette used a solid bar guard for the first time. The shave felt considerably harsher today than the prior shave with the OC 1934 Aristocrat and I had a couple weepers. Nevertheless, the result was still quite good in two passes and modest touch ups.

I really love Aristocrats and have 11 in my collection including examples from: 1918, 1934, 1941, 1945, 1946, 1948, 1951, 1953, 1956, 1961, and 1967. This 1941 example in its gold plated case is a standout. The British 1956 Aristocrat De Luxe, which competes for the top spot in my aristocratic collection, is likely up next on Sunday.

My shave scoring log is found HERE.

Happy shaves everyone :badger:

Friday the 26th of Vintage April….
IMG_7034.jpeg
Gillette heavy handle, post war , made in England Tech.
Omega 10108 boar ….first use after a 48 hr soak and towel scrub
Gillette 7 OC sharp edge blade
Body Shop macca root cream
Great Tech this one…clamps that blade tight and feels purposeful in the hand.
2 passes and some fine tuning on the neck got me smooth without dramas or irritation. A great shave but not quite as close as yesterday’s red tip session.

Razor: Valet AutoStrop VC4 Gold Single Edge Razor
Blade: Feather FHS10 single edge
Brush: Simpson Commodore X2 Best Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White Pre-Shave Cream
Lather: Shannon's Soaps Forest City Fern
Aftershave: Seaforth! Heather Aftershave Toner
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Nivea Post Shave Balm
20240425_083126.jpg

Razor: Valet AutoStrop VC4 Gold Single Edge Razor
Blade: Feather FHS10 single edge
Wow! I did not know that these Feather blades were compatible with Valet AutoStrop razors. I've only used my AutoStrop razor once, and it was with a vintage AutoStrop blade. Let's just say that was a vintage experience ;). Once my GRUYERE resupply window opens, maybe I'll buy a few of these Feathers.

Preshave shower and soak with St Johns Vetiver Bar Soap
Brush Shavemac 24 mm bulb two band silvertip DO1 in Copper Canyon
Soap Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge made by Valobra
Razor Fatboy settings 9, 7, and 5 W, X, and A the grain respectively
Blade Gillette Super Stainless The Spoiler F4 Unsure of the date 1985 maybe made in the USA (12)
splash Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
Frag Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
DFS 9.8 no blood or drama. Minimal alum feedback and the splash went on great.

Three shaves this week. For once I have met my goal. Might as well cross post here for a day. I may use my Super 84 next week Monday for another Adjustable April. We will see how the weekend pans out. I would like to use my RFB Rotbart Mond Extra and my first gen OC British Aristocrat for Vintage April. Both excellent shavers when dealing with a couple days growth. Today is Fatboy Friday so that is what I used starting high and adjusting down for each pass.
Here it is freshly tuned up and Shined by Back Roads Gold.
IMG_20220106_112313.jpg

Date27.04.2024
366 daily shaves
118/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette NEW LCGillette Rubie Plus (2)Abe’s Brush Works Big Boy G5C
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (💯)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)6/10 (Razor sharp)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
8.75/10
(DFS+++)
9/10 (Butterysmooth)

Notes:

Summary. Splendid Saturday Shave with a mild yet very effective NEW Long Comb. Excellent razor.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

27 April

Gillette Safety Razor 1905 • GSB
Cella Aloe Vera • Semogue 1305 boar
IMG_20240427_074533275_HDR.jpg

Serial no. 261844. When this arrived it was coated with a mysterious brown, sticky, medicinal smelling resin that took days of laborious cleaning to remove. The smell was familiar to me but I couldn't place it at first - until I eventually dredged up a distant memory from my childhood. Apparently at some point someone had decided it was a good idea to soak their razor in Friar's Balsam! Probably around the 1920s as there was also an old Darwin blade still in it! I can still catch the occasional faint lingering odour from the box 😂

I don't necessarily get the most sympathetic shaves out of this, but my word it delivers on closeness! Nothing too much to worry about though - a faint post shave "glow" that dissipates within 20 or 30 minutes. King C. Gillette - still delivering after nearly 120 years.

Top Bottom