What's new

Vibrating Handles

Hi all, I've been mucking about in the old shed and cobbled together a power handle for my Feather double edge razor head. Now this is a pretty good DE razor anyway, but I couldn't believe how much it was improved when i attached a vibrating handle. Not the slightest nick or trace of razor burn and an incredibly close shave, however quickly I attack my face. Has anyone else tried doing this? The only vibrating DE safety razor I have found was the Stahly Live Blade which was wind-up and is no longer produced. I just don't understand why they're not commercially available!

They actually do make battery operated, "vibrating" handles for cart razors. IIRC the Mach 3 was the first, taking a single AAA battery in its handle compartment.

I admit back when they were first released I did buy one. I could detect absolutely no difference between it and a non-vibrating handle, though it did create the effect of lightening my wallet to the extent they additionally charged for such a contrivance :)

Welcome to the forum! :thumbup1:

I have to admit I'm intrigued. The vibration quitting on my Mach 3 was one of the main things that lead me down this road. I I also love DIY projects. Do you have any pics? Nice uke BTW.

They actually do make battery operated, "vibrating" handles for cart razors. IIRC the Mach 3 was the first, taking a single AAA battery in its handle compartment.

I admit back when they were first released I did buy one. I could detect absolutely no difference between it and a non-vibrating handle, though it did create the effect of lightening my wallet to the extent they additionally charged for such a contrivance :)

My experience exactly

I've hacked a Gillette handle to attach a double edge razor head. I found it to be far better.

Attachments

• IMG_1585.JPG
    IMG_1585.JPG
    588.6 KB · Views: 493
Welcome to the forum! :thumbup1:

I have to admit I'm intrigued. The vibration quitting on my Mach 3 was one of the main things that lead me down this road. I I also love DIY projects. Do you have any pics? Nice uke BTW.
Used Sugru to hack a Gillette power handle. I'd love to make a stainless steel one now having found the fixed head one to be so good.

Attachments

• IMG_1585.JPG
    IMG_1585.JPG
    588.6 KB · Views: 33
I have a Gillette Fushion handle from my cart days that vibrates. I still use it sometimes when I travel (carry on only) and don't want to bother with sourcing de blades or planning ahead and sending some. I'm convinced that the vibration is just a novelty thing and does nothing to improve the shave. The only positive of this feature is that the AA battery in the handle gives it a little more weight which I like.

I have a Gillette Fushion handle from my cart days that vibrates. I still use it sometimes when I travel (carry on only) and don't want to bother with sourcing de blades or planning ahead and sending some. I'm convinced that the vibration is just a novelty thing and does nothing to improve the shave. The only positive of this feature is that the AA battery in the handle gives it a little more weight which I like.
We'll have to agree to disagree on whether a vibrating handle makes a difference. Personally I've found it to completely stop any razor burn or nicks that I get with the same double edge head on a none vibrating handle.

We'll have to agree to disagree on whether a vibrating handle makes a difference. Personally I've found it to completely stop any razor burn or nicks that I get with the same double edge head on a none vibrating handle.

Not an arguement here but I did want to bring up a couple things in a gentlemanly manner for you to think about.

From what I've read it's supposed to cut down the friction between the blade and your skin which is exactly what a quality shaving soap does. I suspect with good technique and a quality soap, that razor burn and nicks would be a thing of the past even without the vibrating handle. It could be that you're just more gentle with the razor when it's vibrating since you're being more careful not to drop it. It's really hard to tell.

Gillette's claim wasn't anything to do with nicks or cuts but that it actually lifted the hair away from your skin, allowing for a closer shave. Nobody seems to agree with these claims and a federal judge in Connecticut said there wasn't enough scientific evidence to prove the claim so the razor manufacturer had to change it's story. I'm not sure what they say the benefit is now but I'm sure they have some new angle to sell more razors.

I personally don't take Gillette's word and believe their marketing hype and neither do a lot of people here. After all, we prefer to use straight, de and se razors knowing how much better they are, all the while Gillette marketing is telling us that carts are so much better and charging astronomical prices for them.

My point is not to argue what works best for you, but that maybe you're changing something during your shave and it's not the razor being on or off that's making the difference. I wanted to get a better shave from the razor myself, I tried several times to find a difference between the vibration on and off and I just couldn't do it, before I started wet shaving and again after. Gillette can't prove that these vibrating razors are of any benefit either and they have a team of scientists and a ton of money to throw at it.

Maybe it's me but I just don't trust what Gillette tells me.

If you've gotten this far thank you for reading my response. Feel free to ignore it or let it inspire you to take a more critical look. That being said I do respect your opinion, I wish you the very best and I would urge you to find and enjoy the things that work best for you.

Not an arguement here but I did want to bring up a couple things in a gentlemanly manner for you to think about.

From what I've read it's supposed to cut down the friction between the blade and your skin which is exactly what a quality shaving soap does. I suspect with good technique and a quality soap, that razor burn and nicks would be a thing of the past even without the vibrating handle. It could be that you're just more gentle with the razor when it's vibrating since you're being more careful not to drop it. It's really hard to tell.

Gillette's claim wasn't anything to do with nicks or cuts but that it actually lifted the hair away from your skin, allowing for a closer shave. Nobody seems to agree with these claims and a federal judge in Connecticut said there wasn't enough scientific evidence to prove the claim so the razor manufacturer had to change it's story. I'm not sure what they say the benefit is now but I'm sure they have some new angle to sell more razors.

I personally don't take Gillette's word and believe their marketing hype and neither do a lot of people here. After all, we prefer to use straight, de and se razors knowing how much better they are, all the while Gillette marketing is telling us that carts are so much better and charging astronomical prices for them.

My point is not to argue what works best for you, but that maybe you're changing something during your shave and it's not the razor being on or off that's making the difference. I wanted to get a better shave from the razor myself, I tried several times to find a difference between the vibration on and off and I just couldn't do it, before I started wet shaving and again after. Gillette can't prove that these vibrating razors are of any benefit either and they have a team of scientists and a ton of money to throw at it.

Maybe it's me but I just don't trust what Gillette tells me.

If you've gotten this far thank you for reading my response. Feel free to ignore it or let it inspire you to take a more critical look. That being said I do respect your opinion, I wish you the very best and I would urge you to find and enjoy the things that work best for you.
No, absolutely no argument here. That's what I was trying to convey. I agree with you that one should do what works for you personally. And for me, it is a huge difference. All my best, R

No, absolutely no argument here. That's what I was trying to convey. I agree with you that one should do what works for you personally. And for me, it is a huge difference. All my best, R

Sounds good, I didn't want that to come off the wrong way.
Have fun with the experiment and I hope you have a great day.

I had a Stahly which I received in a pif. I repaired it and used it for a week and then promptly repifed it. The only thing it did for me was drown out the feed back from the blade which I didn't like. My shaves were no better but if it works for you that's all that counts.

I've had several Stahly's and they all froze up and stopped working after a short while. My impression is the Stahly head works very well, but it works just as well when not vibrating. The Stahly is heavy, cumbersome, and tiring to hold. The Stahly also can be difficult to wind for an elderly man or a person with arthritic hands.

All of my razors vibrated when I was learning how to shave. They're steady now, but I suspect they'll start shaking again in a couple of years.

Top Bottom