What's new

Vermouth for negronis

If you are making a negroni, which vermouth do you pick?

• Carpano Antica

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Torino Cocchi

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Punt e Mes

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Martini and Rossi

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Dolin Rouge

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Vya

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (specify in a comment)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
So you are making a negroni and have Campari and your preferred gin...which vermouth?

I’ve been a Negroni drinker for 30+ years. I enjoy the more expensive vermouths on occasion, especially Torino Cocchi, but at the end of the day there’s nothing wrong with good old Martini Rosso and it’s what I use 99% of the time. Carpano Antica is a waste of money IMHO. I like my Negroni to have some ‘bite’ and Carpano kills it for me.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I’ve been a Negroni drinker for 30+ years. I enjoy the more expensive vermouths on occasion, especially Torino Cocchi, but at the end of the day there’s nothing wrong with good old Martini Rosso and it’s what I use 99% of the time. Carpano Antica is a waste of money IMHO. I like my Negroni to have some ‘bite’ and Carpano kills it for me.
I personally prefer Carpano Antica but also use Martini Rossi frequently.

I like Negronis a lot, but variety is the spice so I like to mix things up frequently -- I keep at least 3 or 4 red vermii in the fridge at all times (along with 2 white and a blanc) sometimes mix a couple (Punt E Mes and Dolin) and recently I've been using Bonal in the role.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Last night I had a Negroni of Campari, Tanq, and Punt e Mes. I think it is a hard combination to beat and quite a treat. As you said, a bit of "bite."

Noilly Prat or Dolin. I find Martini and Rossi too herbal. A local place is happy to use Carpano Antica, but I don’t think it adds that much, given its price.

I like Martini & Rossi because it's available everywhere and I know the flavor. I prefer my Negroni to be gin-forward, so I go 2 parts gin (Usually Bombay, Boodles, or now Aviation) to one part each of Campari and sweet vermouth.
20230623_163735.jpg

Top Bottom