What's new

Using Hubble as your camera

I've been having a blast lately processing FITS images from Hubble. What is that you ask? Well, in short, you can download data from the Hubble Space Telescope via the Hubble Legacy Archive, and many other telescopes from around the world on different sites. The images come in a format called FITS, or Flexible Image Transport System. It is the universal language for astronomy data.

I won't go into a super detailed tutorial, unless you guys want me to. There are pretty good instructions on the Hubble site to get you started, as well as some test files. One of the hardest things on my first real image was trying to figure out exaclty what to download. These images don't come as one single image. You must find images from exposures using differnt filters in the red, green and blue ranges. Next, you have to process the FITS images into TIFFS using a program ESA put out called FITS Liberator. Once you have 3 TIFFS, you can merge them in Photoshop to create your RGB image. Then you can tweak the image as much as you need to using levels, curves etc to get the colors to look correct.

This one is my first image from the tutorial data on the Hubble site. It is from an area of the Eagle Nebula named "Pillars of Creation"
$pillars of creatoin.jpg

This next one is of a galaxy so romantically named "NCG 1300". Despite its name, its pretty awesome. It is considered the prototypical barred spiral galaxy. NCG 1300 is about 63 million light years away from earth. This image was my first "real" image I did. So far, it is only half of the galaxy. Hubble took 2 sets of pictures called "pos1" and "pos2". This image is from "pos2". I plan on downloading the next set, processing and merging both images to get a nice picture of the whole galaxy. Downloading the images takes a long time. Each image from a wavelength is about 500MB. That means the raw data to create this image was 1.5 GB.

$ncg1300merged.jpg

If you like Photoshop, this is really a blast. The only thing you need to get started if you have Photoshop or Photoshop Elements is the free FITS Liberator. If you want to do this and have a Mac that is upgraded to El Capitan or above, let me know. You will need a workaround that I figured out. The workaround on their site is not correct for newer installations of OS X.

NCG 194

This is one of my favorite so far.There are multiple galaxies at play here. The "cosmic fountain" that connects the two groups spans over 100,000 light years. All of the blue in these images represent "hot" or young star forming regions. The interaction of these merging systems sets off massive star formation. I processed this image using FITS images from Hubble Legacy Archive taken in 2009.
$arp194_merged_cropped_lores.jpg

if anyone wants higher res images please let me know. I'm down resing and saving as jpeg to upload here. I process as lossless TIFF. Depending on the image, and how much I have to crop/rotate, the original image can be pretty large. I'm also fully willing to share my layered TIFFS if you want to see or play with the color effects yourself without having to process the raw FITS files.

I wish I had the time and understanding! I also wish someone would find some kind of life out there! Seriously, it certainly can't be this solar system or time that someone decided bow ties were cool!
:lol:

I wish I had the time and understanding! I also wish someone would find some kind of life out there! Seriously, it certainly can't be this solar system or time that someone decided bow ties were cool!

The whole "life" thing is a pretty complicated question. Is/was/will there be someone else out there? Undoubtedly. There are an estimated 2 trillion galaxies in the observable universe. We can see a lot of the galaxies. We can see a lot of the individual stars too. Planets, not so much. They are dark. The most popular way scientists observe and count exoplanets is through a method called “transits”. They point a telescope at a star, then observe it for a while. If at any point the star’s luminosity dips, they can tell there is a planet orbiting that star. Then they can infer a size and how close it is to the star by how long the dip in luminosity lasts, and by what percentage the star dims. So we cannot directly observe a planet at this point. The closest star system to our solar system is Alpha Centauri at 4.37 light years. IF we could get a ship to travel at 4.5% the speed of light, it would take 100 years to get there. And that’s actually with technology that doesn’t even exist right now.

Just for your information Sir; Bow ties are cool​
proxy.php
- as long as it is self-tie, not clip-on :001_cool:

Here is my latest.

This image is actually 2 galaxies and is called the Antennae Galaxies. It is a collision of the NGC4038 and NGC4039 galaxies. This phase of the collision causes massive star formation due to all of the dust being flung around. Eventually, the gases will be used up, and This violent collision will eventually settle down when the nuclei will merge. It is suspected that this is likely what will happen when our Milky Way Galaxy merges with Andromeda.

I processed 4 wavelengths (3 that approximate R, G and B, and the 4th was in the 800nm or Infrared range) from the Hubble Legacy Archive for this combined photograph. I decided to color the Infrared channel a yellowish orange. You an see that in the center of the two galaxies. I'm not an astronomer, but that probably means there is some really cool stuff happening there!

NGC4038_edstruble.jpg

I love looking at the APOD, however these are all of my own creation. I pull the raw data from:

Hubble Legacy Archive or the MAST Archive

The data usually comes in different wavelengths that are approximately in the red, green and blue specturm. I use a program to pull a TIFF image from the raw FITS data file, then stack and colorize them in Photoshop.

Since I am a beginner, I do rely on the images that have already been processed by pros to see if I'm going in the right direction.

The hardest part is finding a target. I kind of want to do objects that are not extremely popular, like M80, but its hard to find things that nobody has ever processed. In order to get something from the HLA, you actually have to know the name of the object you are looking for.

Say hello to the Tadpole Galaxy. Also know as UGC 10214 or ARP 188. This is a disrupted barred spiral galaxy. It resides about 420 million light years from earth, and can be seen in the Draco constellation. The trail of blue stars is from an interaction with another galaxy 100 million years ago. The culprit galaxy is probably one of the ones seen in the background of this image. The tail of the Tadpole Galaxy spans over 280,000 light years. I made this image from Hubble data taken in 2002 by the ACS and WFC instruments. This is a compilation of the 475, 606 and 814 nanometer observations.

arp_188_edstruble.jpg

This is a picture of some amazing pillars inside NGC 2174, aka the Monkey Head Nebula. The image is a false color image because the combined images are all from the infrared part of the electromagnetic spectrum. The brighter areas of the pillar fingers represent high levels of stellar radiation where stars are forming. It is located in the constellation Orion and is 6400 light years from earth. I processed this image from data taken in 2014 for a celebration of Hubble's 24th anniversary. Credit NASA/ESA. Processing my me.

proxy.php

I have recently started processing images from Spitzer. Here is my latest one.

m81_edstruble.jpg

We look into the infrared portion of the electromagnetic spectrum with this image of M81 processed from data taken by the Spitzer Space Telescope. ⠀

What we see in the IR portion of the spectrum is the interstellar dust that is heated up by newly forming stars. We do see these arms in normal visible light images from Hubble, but they are enhanced in images like this from viewing multiple spectrum through the IR band. ⠀

M81 is a mere 12 million light years from Earth, and can be seen by a decent telescope or even by good pair of binoculars. Is considered to be about the size of the Milky Way Galaxy, and can be seen near the Ursa Major constellation. ⠀

Blue represents stellar emission at 3.6um. Greenish/blue at 4.6 and 5.8um. Red at 8um. ⠀

Top Bottom