What's new

Urban walking gear

For walking shoes, I might suggest a trail running shoe like Montrail's Mountain Masochist without the waterproofing. This way they will breath nicely. And they will provide more support and protection than regular running shoes. I've had several pairs and really like how they perform and they are durable. I think Montrail sold out to Columbia because they are now co-branded. I like Columbia products as well so that is not a bad thing. Good luck.

For walking shoes, I might suggest a trail running shoe like Montrail's Mountain Masochist without the waterproofing. This way they will breath nicely. And they will provide more support and protection than regular running shoes. I've had several pairs and really like how they perform and they are durable. I think Montrail sold out to Columbia because they are now co-branded. I like Columbia products as well so that is not a bad thing. Good luck.

Trail running shoes would be a perfectly good option for urban environments, but I would prefer normal running shoes, for two main reasons. The first is that trail shoes typically have much deeper tread patterns than road runners, to bite into mud and gravel; these can wear down quite quickly on hard surfaces, and don't offer any benefit in grip terms on pavements. Secondly, trail shoes tend to have less underfoot cushioning than standard running shoes, because runners operating off the beaten track usually like to be able to feel the ground, so they can adjust their stride pattern if required. Personally, I like the thick cushioning on hard surfaces.

Trail running shoes would be a perfectly good option for urban environments, but I would prefer normal running shoes, for two main reasons. The first is that trail shoes typically have much deeper tread patterns than road runners, to bite into mud and gravel; these can wear down quite quickly on hard surfaces, and don't offer any benefit in grip terms on pavements. Secondly, trail shoes tend to have less underfoot cushioning than standard running shoes, because runners operating off the beaten track usually like to be able to feel the ground, so they can adjust their stride pattern if required. Personally, I like the thick cushioning on hard surfaces.

In the two decades of owning trail running shoes I have never experienced the tread wearing out before the structure of the shoe itself and I have to admit that mine are worn constantly and in urban environment (NYC) far more than on the trail. And these in particular are intended for harder surfaces. As far as being able to "feel the ground" these shoes are typically designed to protect the foot from sharp rocks, sticks and protrusions so would therefore offer far more protection and underfoot protection than normal running shoes. I also like the thick cushioning trail running shoes offer which is why I've been buying them for over 20 years. Just my experience.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Thanks for the replies so far.
I do indeed know of both backpack brands suggested ... but also for the backpack solution I would like to blend a bit more into the crowd. So more of a backpack that doesn't shout 'TOURIST' :)

Don't focus on this brand or that brand ... go to a second-had store and get a backpack of the appropriate size ... the older and more non-descript, the better. Most tourists are going to go get new brand-name gear for their trip, and look like they spent a bundle on the 'right' brands.

You won't impress the backpack afficionados, you will probably have to buy a new one in a decade or so when this one wears out but ... big deal.

love my Lowa low cut hikers. expensive but best damn put together shoe of its type i have ever owned. even went and bought the higer cut for Oregon winters. Portland promotes wierd in their ads so i am never noticed in my shoes.

love my Lowa low cut hikers. expensive but best damn put together shoe of its type i have ever owned. even went and bought the higer cut for Oregon winters. Portland promotes wierd in their ads so i am never noticed in my shoes.

Lowa makes awesome boots. I had a pair of Montrail heavy backpacking boots that lasted decades and provided me with many miles and years of protection in the Adirondacks and White Mountains. Sadly the sole delaminated. I toyed with the idea of having new soles put on but I also realized that my feet had changed over the years and the boots were now a tad small. So I bought a pair of Lowa Tibet LL. They are so comfortable and the leather lining so super soft. Great boots.

Have been wearing lightweight hikers or trail shoes around here for over 30 years---never thought I looked like a tourist------heck there's not even a mountain within 500 miles of here

Top Bottom