What's new

Tuckaway Dating Question...

I picked up a Tuckaway today at an antique store. I'd been curious about these and while the case especially is not much of a looker, I figured 20 bucks would be a great way to see if I like the shave. Anyways, I have two questions.

1) I can't find a date code anywhere on this. I think this has the New Improved head, which means it is probably from sometime between 1921-1929, if I am reading AsylumGuido's guide correctly on the dates for the New Improved head. Is there any way to determine the date or the date range for this razor without a date code?

2) The handle has the obligatory cracks, but everything is nice and snug. Is there anything I should do or not do to avoid making the cracks worse?

And of course...the photos...

Brian,
It most likely was made at the end of 1927 to mid 1928 when Gillette didn't use serial numbers.

Len

No problem. Just don't over tighten the handle and it should be OK. If the ends become loose clean out the end and the tube and use some epoxy to keep it together.

Len

The Dating Wiki here on B&B shows the C series beginning in 1928 and carrying through to 1929 - which is correct?

I don't understand what you are questioning. There were no serial numbers in the 1st half of 1928 and the C series started in the 2nd half of 1928.

OK. Now I see. The WIKI date chart has omitted the time when Gillette did not use date codes in 1927 and 1928.

Len

Last edited:
For anyone interested in the New Improved serial numbering, here is a list of dates and codes and the period that Gillette did not serialize their razors. This info is taken from the Krumholz "The Complete Gillette Collector's Handbook"

The New Improved razor line from Gillette was produced between 1921 and 1929. Every razor made in the US was serialized with one following exception.

1921 - Started with number 1-A
1927 - Serial number stopped on October 17 with serial number 902,611-B
1928 - Serial numbers started again after August 28 with serial number 1-C
1929 - Production ended at the end of the year with serial number 241,755-C
No New Improved razors were produced in 1930.

Len

Thanks Achim and OldGuy for clearing that up! I did not realize that the numbers were discontinued as I have been referring to the Wiki and as you mention OldGuy, it doesn't seem to have that info (or I didn't pick up on it at any rate).

Glad to have this accurately defined. I think it is time I send some cash to Sir Krumholz!

thnx!

Top Bottom