What's new

Treadmills

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
It is why they invented clubs. :biggrin:

BADA BING!

My daughter is going as a cavewoman for Halloween this year, accompanied by mom. Got her a really cool club to match her outfit.

She gets quite a haul when she goes trick or treating with her mom. Last year, she got a Rolex and a piano.

Jay,
Just a thought; would your wife consider running outside? I am a runner and do occasionally use my gym's treadmills on the really windy days but the find the outdoor running to be so much better; breathing, freedom, etc... Get those lungs a-pumping! :biggrin:

Jay,
Just a thought; would your wife consider running outside? I am a runner and do occasionally use my gym's treadmills on the really windy days but the find the outdoor running to be so much better; breathing, freedom, etc... Get those lungs a-pumping! :biggrin:

I can't run on a treadmill either, but some of the high end ones are very cool.

M

modern man

I can't run outside, allergies. :frown:

If someone is mowing the grass or raking leaves I am a dead man.

S

sullivanpm

I can't run on one either.
When I started to get back in shape for the Police Academy I started running on a treadmill.
I could only do about 3/4 of a mile till the pain in my lower back and knees was so bad that I could not continue.
My doc advised me to try and run outside and see if the pain persisted.
I ran 2 miles in 20 min the next day with the only thing stopping me at the end was sheer exhaustion. I almost had to crawl home.

ouch

I applaud the wisdom of your interpretive skills.

My parents go to the gym. They drive about two miles (each way) to do about 4 miles on the treadmill. They seem oblivious to my observation that the sidewalk is free. I suspect that you may enjoy my flippant remark more than Mrs. Ouch. :whistling:

Jay,
Just a thought; would your wife consider running outside? :biggrin:

Ian, Paul.
Paul, Ian.

ouch

Well, I have the beast for three weeks now. When we bought it, the salesman looked at me and said, "You'll be using it, too." I told him, "Look. I can't tell you which state I'll move to when I retire, I don't know which college my daughter will go to, hell, I never know the next word that will come out of my mouth. But I'll tell you this: you're never going to catch me on that thing. Ever."

So I'm up to three miles a day, and haven't missed a day yet. Lost 10 lbs, to boot.

Made the mistake of offering my daughter $1 for every mile she runs, as an incentive to get her into shape. I told her, work hard, and someday you'll be big and strong, like mom.
It's costing me a fortune.

Treadmills take a lot of abuse and skimping on one is a big mistake. Stay away from anything you would buy at Sears, or most chain stores.
My wife is a diabetic so we have a full equipped exercise room with a dozen different machines. In 1994, I bought Sears' best model treadmill. It's been used daily ever since. The only problem we've had is that the computer display occasionally goes blank but neither one of us looks at it anyway. I don't lubricate and maintain it like I should but it keeps right on going. Quality has likely gone down in 13 years.

Richard

My wife and I got a Life Fitness treadmill over two years ago and I use it 7 days a week. We spent extra $ for a treadmill that had a good deck. Some treadmills feel like you are walking/running on concrete. In the time that I have used our machine, I have had no problems.

For me the trick is having a TV with headphones right next to the machine. I can get up early pop a movie on and hope on the treadmill. If I can disconnect my mind I can go longer and faster.

Just don't get the cheapest ones! I made that mistake and after a year of light use, it had problems. The stupid thing would speed up/slow down at random. I did a little research after the fact and this turned out to be a common problem with the model I got. If I ever buy another, it will be a good one!!!

ouch

See how great this site is? The tips keep pouring in even after I made my purchase. :lol:

I find my knees (and ankles, hips, and shin splints) doing much better with the elliptical. :thumbup1:

I find my knees (and ankles, hips, and shin splints) doing much better with the elliptical. :thumbup1:

Ellipticals are great if you have any kind of leg injury. I literally shattered my left kneecap some years back, which limits the options for cardio. It was a very invigorating experience to be able to do something low-impact and still work up a sweat.

Indeed. And they fit in the den better than a swimming pool....

-Mo

Depends what kind of pool you're after, I guess. :tongue:

Actually, you've given me a great home renovation idea. The only downside is "Hon, explain to me again why you took a wrench to the water pipes...".

Top Bottom