What's new

Travel options?

I'm looking to "expand" and add some rotation. I currently have a Super Speed and an EJ that I use at home and work respectively but I want to get something even more compact for my newly purchased Dopp kit.
I've seen a few Parkers that look decent with a 2 piece handle. I'm leaning toward one of them for travel since it has a nice leather case too. Anyone have experience with them?
Also, I generally use Arko (wrapped in a baggie) and a cheap-o brush for work but it always becomes a mess. Is there a better way to travel with my supplies or different supplies that may work better? A mug isn't really an option since stowing it at work can lead to breakage.
TIA.

My own thoughts on travel razors is why bother with those razors with the short handles designed specifically for travel? Razors are small anyway. Lots of people, me included, make a case out of an Altoids or similar tin and it fits most razors such as your EJ. That is what I travel with, my EJ DE89. I can also fit a blade case in there with several blades. I also bring a full kit when traveling because it all fits in my dopp kit and liquids bag. So I bring a regular sized brush, such as a Razorback Plissoft that dries quickly. I also bring an empty TOBS shave cream tub as a lather bowl. I stick some cotton balls and alum in there so it doesn't take up too much room. I'm thinking of getting a stainless steel bowl that is slightly bigger and should be just as lightweight and durable. Found one for $3.50 with shipping. This way I can bring everything that I use at home on the road and treat myself to a nice shave while traveling. Others like to be minimalist on the road. YMMV.

My own thoughts on travel razors is why bother with those razors with the short handles designed specifically for travel? Razors are small anyway. Lots of people, me included, make a case out of an Altoids or similar tin and it fits most razors such as your EJ. That is what I travel with, my EJ DE89. I can also fit a blade case in there with several blades. I also bring a full kit when traveling because it all fits in my dopp kit and liquids bag. So I bring a regular sized brush, such as a Razorback Plissoft that dries quickly. I also bring an empty TOBS shave cream tub as a lather bowl. I stick some cotton balls and alum in there so it doesn't take up too much room. I'm thinking of getting a stainless steel bowl that is slightly bigger and should be just as lightweight and durable. Found one for $3.50 with shipping. This way I can bring everything that I use at home on the road and treat myself to a nice shave while traveling. Others like to be minimalist on the road. YMMV.

I have a DE89, and it's in an Altoids tin lol.
I was looking at full size razors that have a 2 piece handle and a leather case. I do have a small wooden soap dish that would probably suffice for travel as well. Just wondering what other options were out there. As for my brush, it's a full size that I keep in an old multivitamin bottle.

I bring a straight razor and a Slim that I have in a leather sleeve. For the soap I use Arko that I put into an extra lager Glue stick container.
proxy.php

I just twist the bottom and rub it on my face and then face lather. No real mess at all. My brush is a Whipped dog 20 or 22mm synthetic. I put it into a pill bottle that I poked holes in the lid of. It drys almost instantly, once again no mess.

I have a DE89, and it's in an Altoids tin lol.
I was looking at full size razors that have a 2 piece handle and a leather case. I do have a small wooden soap dish that would probably suffice for travel as well. Just wondering what other options were out there. As for my brush, it's a full size that I keep in an old multivitamin bottle.

I lined my tin with felt and added a divider so the head and blade case sit on one side and the razor handle sits on the other side. Pill bottles work well as a brush holder. Some even use toilet paper rolls. I was an idiot and went out and bought a Simpson's brush holder. Too late now. But works great and fits most of my brushes. And it has holes in it so the moisture can escape and the brush doesn't rot on the way home.

I bring a straight razor and a Slim that I have in a leather sleeve. For the soap I use Arko that I put into an extra lager Glue stick container.
proxy.php

I just twist the bottom and rub it on my face and then face lather. No real mess at all. My brush is a Whipped dog 20 or 22mm synthetic. I put it into a pill bottle that I poked holes in the lid of. It drys almost instantly, once again no mess.
Glue stick! Simple genius. I may even have one at home

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I lined my tin with felt and added a divider so the head and blade case sit on one side and the razor handle sits on the other side. Pill bottles work well as a brush holder. Some even use toilet paper rolls. I was an idiot and went out and bought a Simpson's brush holder. Too late now. But works great and fits most of my brushes. And it has holes in it so the moisture can escape and the brush doesn't rot on the way home.
My tin has a custom 3D printed insert.

My tin has a custom 3D printed insert.

I thought about buying one of those inserts but it doesn't fit a blade case in it. You can only slide individual blades in there. If you know of one that accommodates a blade case, my acquisition disorder would thank you immensely.

I'm in the air as we speak. I have a Weishi in my checked bag. Great for travel because it comes with a neat little plastic travel case that also holds two blade tucks. I also bring a Semogue boar which is perfect for face lathering, and some Proraso green. Speick AS too. That's how I roll! :)

Call the folks at West Coast Shaving. Very helpful there. For me, leather razor case (will accommodate any fully assembled razor such as a Merkur Progress, etc.), a small plastic jar (into which a stick of Arko or a good slab of Cella will fit; or even just drop that and use the Cella tub), a plastic tube for your brush and a small case of blades. I like boar better than badger, but badger dries more quickly so I use a Simpsons Berkley when I travel (of course, regular rather than fine badger since it has greater backbone). Your dop bag should also be able to accommodate a stand for the brush and a reasonably sized after shave together with the rest of your preferred toiletries that wouldn't be in a hotel; hair pomade etc.)

Your dop bag should also be able to accommodate a stand for the brush

A stand for my brush is the one thing that I don't bring with me on the road. I just don't see the need. I use a synthetic and don't think hanging it for the one or two days I tend to travel will make a difference. Even if it is while on vacation for a week or more. I bet you could give me a reason to lug a stand with me though. Just like my acquisition disorder, I can be convinced to take everything with me on the road.

Never mind. I just took one of my plastic stands and stuck in my dopp kit. See? Just the suggestion that a stand should be taken, it made it into my kit. I'm such a glutton.

:a14:Oops, sorry sir!! I just get paranoid about cracked handles, probably way more than I need to.

But for what it's worth, the metal Omega brush stands are very compact, and most small bottles or tubes will fit between the prongs. WCS was very helpful on all this. And I live in Manhattan!

A stand is a moot point unfortunately. Not anywhere to stand it up on a submarine. [emoji12]
The rest of the ideas are great tho. Thanks for the feedback.

I'm now looking for one of those stands that look sort of like a bullet with a hole in the top of it and you stand the razor up in it by inserting the end of the handle into the bullet like base. Seems small, probably relatively lightweight and will fit pretty easily in a dopp kit. Maggards has one for about $13 but I'm hoping to find out cheaper that would fit an EJ DE89. God I have acquisition disorder in a big way.

Well, think of this as a purchase to protect you investment. A wet brush in your travel gear is not a recipe for a good outcome, regardless of what the handle is made of.

I thought about buying one of those inserts but it doesn't fit a blade case in it. You can only slide individual blades in there. If you know of one that accommodates a blade case, my acquisition disorder would thank you immensely.
If we're talking about a standard Altoids tin then I think there really isn't enough room horizontally for the razor head and a blade case. That's why the individual blades actually sit on a ramp.

If we're talking about a standard Altoids tin then I think there really isn't enough room horizontally for the razor head and a blade case. That's why the individual blades actually sit on a ramp.

I beg to differ. I made my own out of a tin that I bought on Amazon. It's only slightly, and I mean slightly bigger than an Altoids tin. It allows me to put the cap and bottom plate side by side. I then put a piece of felt over both of them and the blade case sits perfectly between the nobs on the cap and the edge of the tin. I lined it with felt and it works perfectly.

IMG_0231.JPG
IMG_0233.JPG

Install a magnet in the bottom of the handle!

If he gets a large enough bullet/rounded shaped neodymium magnet (like you see on toy trains), and attaches it to the end of the handle, this would be perfect. Hang it from the wall. Or, you can put a magnet on a string, then tie the string to the handle. Presto - instant razor OR brush hanger :)

Top Bottom