What's new

Traditional Activities/Tool?

I always carry a nepalese Khukuri when in the woods. These are from Himalayan Imports. Forged the same way for centuries.

proxy.php

I also like traditional firemaking techniques

proxy.php

Flyfishing with homemade flies.

...And, making coffee with a Melitta filter and stovetop kettle...

...And a self-winding watch with hands and things. No more batteries or digital watches.

I do have a 22 year old electric coffee grinder (blade type) for my electric coffee. When that fails, if ever, I have an old iron crank style that I can use.

Why wait? Chuck that electric grinder in the Goodwill pile and start using that hand-grinder. I'm assuming its a burr-grinder ... you'll get better tasting coffee than you get with the blade type.

I’m 51 years old, and I have lived my life each day since 1969 by doing my absolute best to live by the following “old traditional” principles passed down to us by Lord Robert Baden-Powell. I try to imagine what our world would be like if everyone lived by them. Accoutrements really don't matter much to me anymore. But the code of conduct I learned as a boy still guides my life to this day:

Scout Oath
On my honor I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country
and to obey the Scout Law*;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong,
mentally awake, and morally straight.

*Scout Law
A Scout is:

TRUSTWORTHY
A Scout tells the truth. He keeps his promises. Honesty is part of his code of conduct. People can depend on him.

LOYAL
A Scout is true to his family, Scout leaders, friends, school, and nation.

HELPFUL
A Scout is concerned about other people. He does things willingly for others without pay or reward.

FRIENDLY
A Scout is a friend to all. He is a brother to other Scouts. He seeks to understand others. He respects those with ideas and customs other than his own.

COURTEOUS
A Scout is polite to everyone regardless of age or position. He knows good manners make it easier for people to get along together.

KIND
A Scout understands there is strength in being gentle. He treats others as he wants to be treated. He does not hurt or kill harmless things without reason.

OBEDIENT
A Scout follows the rules of his family, school, and troop. He obeys the laws of his community and country. If he thinks these rules and laws are unfair, he tries to have them changed in an orderly manner rather than disobey them.

CHEERFUL
A Scout looks for the bright side of things. He cheerfully does tasks that come his way. He tries to make others happy.

THRIFTY
A Scout works to pay his way and to help others. He saves for unforeseen needs. He protects and conserves natural resources. He carefully uses time and property.

BRAVE
A Scout can face danger even if he is afraid. He has the courage to stand for what he thinks is right even if others laugh at or threaten him.

CLEAN
A Scout keeps his body and mind fit and clean. He goes around with those who believe in living by these same ideals. He helps keep his home and community clean.

REVERENT
A Scout is reverent toward God. He is faithful in his religious duties. He respects the beliefs of others.

Best regards to all from an old Boy Scout.
Rooster

My desktop computer is over five years old. My two laptops are at least two years old. Even my cell phone is coming up on two years -- contract almost expired! My car is nine years old. And the LCD on my home theater setup is only 46 inches.

Does that count?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Scout Oath
On my honor I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country
and to obey the Scout Law*;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong,
mentally awake, and morally straight.

At the risk of rejuvinating this thread ... http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=74009 ... I'll just say that, as a Canadian, our Scout Oath was about doing our Duty to God and The Queen.

Still, not a bad set of principles to live by.

I'm responding to the pen situation lower in the forum. I agree it is really hard to try to find a pen that writes well. The space pen is ok but I don't really want to pay that price.

I went back to the fountain pens but I have to tell you the novelty pens are cool too check out these pens http://www.spacetoys.com/proddetail.php?prod=PEN21

I like the alien pen toppers too.

Got like cooking with cast iron, aluminum cause alzheimers:001_smile

Uh, no it does not.

Besides, Aluminum offers nearly all of the benefits of Cast Iron(other than heat retention) and offers a few advantages.
Aluminum conducts heat second only to Copper, so it heats fast.
Lighter weight, which is a big consideration when you are flipping pans about all day.
Dirt Cheap. I have 4 pans (16 qt stock pot, saucier, sautee, and 6 qt stock) that I picked up for less than 50 total. (all 1/4 inch thick, and with lids.)
And, you don't have to season them, and you can chuck them in the dishwasher if you want.

pocket watch or wind ups, recurve or longbow, unimat metal lathe (the old type), pestle and mortar, quill and inkwell (for fun not everyday) and im restoring/ making a grandfather clock. i also try to add an essence of old design and materials to my newer belongings like my brass memory stick and mp3 player retrofitted into a walkman body, not bad for an 18yr old. i do find steampunk design interesting but a little over the top at times.

I've found that carrying a pen and a small notebook in my pocket outperforms any and every PDA/Smartphone I've ever tried ... I can easily jot down notes, reminders, appointments, etc ... more important, I can find this info in a hurry.
I do the same thing, using reporter's notebooks. They are the perfect size for jotting down notes, and can be had very cheaply. I buy a dozen at a time.

I tried the Hipster PDA back in the day but I wasn't hip enough to make it work.

Other traditional methods for performing tasks:

I mop my floors using a towel and bucket of sudsy water,

I use #2 pencils for most writing activities (tho I do use mech pencils at times),

I don't text, but prefer to call.

Not really. see the link below.

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=99

Almost all commercial cookware found in restaurants is aluminum.

Last edited:
I'm proud to admit that I'm one of probably 12 people on the planet that don't carry a cell phone, palm pilot or other electronic gizmo designed to stroke my ego and make me feel important.

I love old Kaywoodie pipes and traditional American burley pipe tobacco.

I'm seldom seen in public without one of my prized panamas or on rainy days a wool/felt fedora (I'm currently struggling with a bad case of Akubra Campdraft Acquisition Disorder)

I'm a big fan of poetry and classic literature (no this does NOT include Penthouse Forum :biggrin:). My graduate degree will probably not be in IT or an MBA but a liberal arts discipline (English or Humanities), you know, knowledge for knowledge sake.

I put a clean handkerchief in my pocket every morning and my truck has a manual transmission.

I also hold on to some of those charming anachronisms like holding doors open for ladies, greeting people with "Good Morning, Good Afternoon and Good Evening" I also use Ma'am and Sir quite often as well.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
When the children are slow to bring me my slippers, pipe and cognac, I whip them with a belt instead of an electric cord.
Those modern contraptions just can't be trusted.

Having been on the receiving end on numerous occassions I can tell you the old fabric (nylon?) covered steam iron cords were quite effective. The old man would then look at me stearnly and say "What are you crying about? I used to get my *** beat with a razor strop!"

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I use cast iron pans most of the time and enamels stew pots.

My daily coat is a trench coat that was made in the '50s. I was lucky to find it on ebay, my size and everything. They don't make them like that anymore.

I always have a pen and small notebook on me in case I see something that I want to write down, hand a note, etc. In the office, I always use pencils, I think I'm the only one using them, other use pens.

I try to follow the Gentleman's Essentials http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=57653

Top Bottom