What's new

tool to convert .avi to .mpg ??

Greetings -
Can anyone recommend a freeware tool (Windoze or Linux -- at least, I think I have that Ubuntu boot disk around here somewhere) that'll let me convert an .avi file to an .mpg?
Thanks kindly.
- Richard

Greetings -
Can anyone recommend a freeware tool (Windoze or Linux -- at least, I think I have that Ubuntu boot disk around here somewhere) that'll let me convert an .avi file to an .mpg?
Thanks kindly.
- Richard

ffmpeg under linux should work (I have never used it myself). It might even be preinstalled. otherwise sudo apt-get install ffmpeg to get it.

edit: see here

So, did the Handbrake and MediaCoder applications successfully and without any errors converted this particular .avi file to the .mpg ? Please describe. Thank you.

Last edited:
So, did the Handbrake and MediaCoder applications successfully and without any errors converted this particular .avi file to the .mpg ? Please describe. Thank you.
Thus far, I've not had success with any of the freeware suggestions. The video transfers fine, but not the sound -- everything from nasty pulsing sonic bursts (different from my singing, I mean) to silence.

WinAVI works out of the box, but it ain't free.

It may be a question of whether I can tweak the settings of one or more of the free packages.

Last edited:
Top Bottom