What's new

Tool Nuts Look Here: Knipex Cobra Adjustment Button Repair

Good evening gents. I thought this may be interesting for those of us who use hand tools every day in the trades. I discovered Knipex pliers company about ten years ago and have not looked back. Most of my daily carry tools wear this brand and i have not regretted it. One of the most useful models of pliers ever invented are their Cobra models. The jaw design alone places them in a category somewhat by itself. There are others who mimic but I believe Knipex pioneered the design. Then they gave it one of the most sensible additions they could have. A spring loaded adjustment button that is beyond handy. And they stay put at the point you adjust them to. Recently I managed to knacker the adjustment button on my pair and emailed Knipex to ask what I should do. A few days later a package arrived from their Chicago office with replacement parts to fix the problem. snapped a few photos of the procedure. It is an easy, remove and replace in reverse order. I've included a stock photo from Knipex's web site for reference. i hope you find it useful.

Cheers, Todd

Stock Knipex 87 01 180
proxy.php

Here are a few shots of the pliers before repair
full

full

full

full

full

Disassembled, awaiting new parts. Very easy so far.
full

full

The next few shots show the new pivot pin and tension spring installed and the opposite side awaiting the new button.
full

full

full

New button installed and awaiting use in the field! The button is a wedge/pressure fit. Align it in the hole and tap it home with mallet or other small pounding device. I would also use a sacrificial piece of wood or leather between hammer and button to avoid damage. Remember, you are not assembling lumber for a home. Do NOT use a framing hammer or large ball pein hammer. You could easily damage button or pliers by ham handing it.
full

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the post. For a lot of situations these look more practical than a pair of Vise Grips, or craftsman RoboGrips. I will consider adding them to my DIY toolkit.

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem. These pliers really do work. I hate to admit it but they far exceed standard Channelock brand adjustable pliers. I can't imagine going back. And people won't believe what you tell them about gripping power till they watch that video.

Cheers, Todd

James, the best place I have found in the States is chadstoolbox.com. You may also want to look at the NWS brand of pliers there as well. Another place that has good NWS selection is germanhandtools. I have switched over to the Gerry brands almost exclusively.

Cheers, Todd

Top Bottom