What's new

Todd's 50, no make that 60-54 Weight Loss Plan-1 Year Update

Gentlemen, this was a red letter day for me. One year ago on this date I told my wife I was going to lose weight and get into better physical condition. I have a large thread in this forum titled 50-54 weight loss plan and you can scroll down the page to read through that if you'd like. I won't rehash all that here but give an update.

First the update. I started on 15 July, 2016 at a rather staggering 260 pounds/18.5 stone/118kg. To put it bluntly this was not acceptable. I was as heavy as I had ever been by a large margin. And it was telling. My balance and dexterity were non-existent. My blood work was as bad as it had ever been though in truth it was not 'bad' by doctor accepted averages. Total cholesterol was typically 190-205 depending upon day and the amount of fasting before tests. LDL to HDL ratio was always a complaint with the sawbones but I typically kept the HDL in the low 40s which is not too bad for someone who's diet was as poor as mine. Triglycerides were always well below normal at around 70-80. Genetic luck?

Okay, to it. I weighed in early this week and it was not as good as I had hoped. Holding around 203/204 pounds. I came to realise that while I had made and surpassed my birthday goal, I was not going to sneak that extra fiver off the frame by today. So with that I hied me away to the gym and like all Saturdays, I hit it pretty hard. Resistance for 1-1/2 hours and a hard 30 on the elliptical. I came home and shaved and showered and drug out the scales. With a bit of trepidation I stepped on and read the dial. 200lbs. TWO HUNDRED POUNDS! I couldn't believe it. I had made it. I was so shocked, and a bit sceptical that my eyes were deceiving me I called to the missus and asked her to read the dial. She grinned and confirmed it. 60 pounds lost. Huzzah!

So while this is a great day for me, it is also a bit of an embarrassing one. First, I have shed 25% of my body weight but uh...should have never let it get in such disrepair to begin with. I WILL NOT GO BACK.

So what now? I refuse to say this is a met goal. That would indicate a stopping point. And I have no intention of stopping. Some in the family have said I could become too skinny and I only laughed at them. I am actually getting a lot of definition in my musculature. Much more than I had when younger. Why did I wait so long?

I will continue what I am doing and let the weight fall where it will going forward. I suspect the next year will see only moderate weight loss and that is good because it means I am getting close to having the excess fat gone. I will say that even though I am losing weight, I have also gained it in the form of lean muscle. I bought a new pair of Kuhl shorts while in Utah in May and while they fit fine at the time, they are actually noticeably looser in fit now even though the scale says I have only lost a few pounds. I am leaner if nothing else. And the missus says my build is noticeably better with her commenting on my mid section and arms. Good girl she is and being a bit too nice, likely. So there it is gents. Officially the 60-54 weight loss plan has come to realisation. Thank you for all who gave encouragement and support the last year. You can do it!

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Congratulations, Todd! That is a huge accomplishment! I have to work very hard and watch what I eat in order to maintain a healthy body weight. My hat's off to you, Sir. Keep up the motivation. :thumbup:

I will say that in celebration I allowed myself a large piece of peach pie and a Paulaner hefeweizen yesterday. Back to form today. And thank you all for the support.

Thanks lads. I am holding the 60 pounds off. From here on out it is mostly maintenance with tweaks needed in diet and workout routines. I have it settled in my mind that I will NOT go back. Every day at the gym is still a disciplinary thing. I sometimes take a morning off from the elliptical, like this morning, but still hit it 4-6 days a week. And I don't neglect the weights at all.

I still cannot get my head around the weight loss sometimes. Nearly 4-1/2 stone. Gotta keep going. And my clothes are getting good looser even though my weight is not dropping per se. Getting some leaner muscle. Rock it out guys. You CAN do it.

Alright, nearly a month has passed since my last post. Holding @199-202. Clothes are a shade looser though not really skinnier per se.

Going forward. I really must talk with a nutritionist. It is now apparent that just dodging calories is not a viable plan going forward. I find myself tired and sometimes weak at the gym. A sure sign of poor balance in diet. I simply don't know what to consume vs work done weekly vs dietary percentages.

I have gotten much stronger(maybe not by a young man's measure) but well beyond where I started..I now notice I struggle on the elliptical at times and find it strange and bloody unwelcome. I note that after a heavier meal I am 'better' the next day. So yeah, tweaking time.

Other than that I need new suits. All my togs are like bags on me now.

I thought I would update this thread with a bit of information. I am off to the doctor's office tomorrow for a 'well man' exam. Heretofore known as a physical. It is nearly a year since I visited and I am anxious to see what my blood work yields.

I have purposely stayed away from fast foods and overdoing it with the pastries. The latter was my major downfall in past years. I rarely drink soda, I don't eat candy bars or many hard candies but pastry? Oh my. So the major reduction in sugars and loads of high density fats should help...hopefully. As mentioned in the other thread I refuse to give up bread and barley. I don't drink a lot of the latter(never daily even before all this. Sometimes weeks between so never a problem) but still enjoy the toasted breads daily. Sometimes, heaven forbid, with jam.

Getting stronger too but not strong enough to my notion. I have never had great arm and shoulder strength and it ticks me off. I also realise that as we age, it is harder to build muscle mass and density. Still, I try to mix up the weight workouts doing light weight and high reps one time and progressively heavier weights in sets of ten the next. Typically six to seven sets per exercise. I don't neglect the legs either. I notice a lot of guys do little with lower body. I am also still experiencing a bit of fatigue on the elliptical. That one is a mystery to me.

So wish me luck at the sawbones. I am hoping for great numbers.

Top Bottom