What's new

TM vs SRD Red Latigo

For those of you who have used both, are there any differance between them? They are both Red Latigo and i think Tony's strops look better but can anyone tell me that one is better than the other? The reason i ask is that i have an SRD 3" Red Latigo and i'm just wondering if there is any need to keep up my search for the ever illusive TM 3" Red Latigo?

This is a tricky one... It's like asking whether horsehide or latigo is better... Some will say latigo as they prefer the draw, some will say horsehide for the lack of it.

There are differences between the two, but not enough to make you hunt for both. It also depends on the break in process... My TM Latigo was broken in with just razors, and it felt, for lack of a better word, greasy on the surface. It was like it had a hard, grippy glaze over the surface, and I did not like it. However, my SRD one was broken in with palm rubbing and razors, and I loved the feel of it, a little less draw, a little more velvet...

About a month and a half ago, I sanded my TM Latigo from 220 grit to 1500 grit, and then gave it an hour with my palm, and now it feels almost identical to the SRD one.

Sorry for the boring anecdote. the short version is that there are differences, but not enough to search for the twin to your latigo

i've gone of my litigo tm it is greasy and glazes. to much draw. i prefer the horshide nower days and kanayama as just enough draw. If i was you i would try the premium 1 hanging strop. just enough draw and nice and smooth

Not boring at all. It was exactly what i was looking for. Thank you for taking the time to post it

This is a tricky one... It's like asking whether horsehide or latigo is better... Some will say latigo as they prefer the draw, some will say horsehide for the lack of it.

There are differences between the two, but not enough to make you hunt for both. It also depends on the break in process... My TM Latigo was broken in with just razors, and it felt, for lack of a better word, greasy on the surface. It was like it had a hard, grippy glaze over the surface, and I did not like it. However, my SRD one was broken in with palm rubbing and razors, and I loved the feel of it, a little less draw, a little more velvet...

About a month and a half ago, I sanded my TM Latigo from 220 grit to 1500 grit, and then gave it an hour with my palm, and now it feels almost identical to the SRD one.

Sorry for the boring anecdote. the short version is that there are differences, but not enough to search for the twin to your latigo

i've gone of my litigo tm it is greasy and glazes. to much draw. i prefer the horshide nower days and kanayama as just enough draw. If i was you i would try the premium 1 hanging strop. just enough draw and nice and smooth

Now that i have found out there isn't a whole lot of differance between the Latigo leathers i may just do that and switch gears to a different type of TM strop. Thank you

If you go quickly, there's a TM Horsehide and Latigo on the SRP Classifieds, TM's horsehide is fantastic, and it's at a reat price

I got a TM 3" red latiogo and a SRD 3" black latigo, as ShavedZombie said my TM also feels a bit more "greasier" however it has seen much more use for at least a year maybe 2 it was my only strop before SAD kicked in. Bottom line is they are both great strops.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Each Latigo hide varies greatly. The ones I used ranged from a greasier feel (more oil and waxes in tanning) to a really dry finish. Horsehide varies greatly as well, some hides arrive with a mat finish, others quite slick.

What this means is that I could grab one of mine and one of SRPs and get different results each time. I may like the SRP, or I may like mine better, choose again and maybe a different result.

Black latigo for the most part is different than red. It too will vary hide to hide but feels different overall than red. The black I used to use was always stiffer than the red and with a dryer tanning.

Moot point though as it is unlikely I will be running strops in any quantity again.

In all honesty if I owned one latigo I would not need a second one as there is not enough variation. Horsehide, well maybe. If it had a different tanning (like cordovan) it will feel different. If sanded like a Kenrup, it will feel different. If from a mat finished hide instead of a slick, it will feel different. Here there is some overall variation but you probably have to have one in your hand first to know if it will feel different than what you already have.

For the most part I have found less need for variation. I once owned dozens of razors, strops and hones. It was an obsession to have the best tools for every possible situation, every edge, every possibility. Well, Grandpa got by with one razor, one strop and one hone. Over time I have found straight razor shaving was just one of many things I do. I didn't need to have so many tools to do just one thing. Out of my remaining stock I made myself one last strop to use all the time......a 2" horsehide front, and a 0.5 micron pasted cowhide back with handles. I do have a 2" single linen as well. Good enough!

Tony

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thanks for the expert advice Tony, it's always a real joy to read your input on this subject.

(read the full thing before judging me)

Tony, No offense, but I'm kind of glad you stopped making strops...

Otherwise I'd be flat broke! I ordered your horsehide a year+ ago and it's still my favorite, to the point where I kind of wish I had bought two or three so that I'd always have one, even if a catastrophic fumble takes one some day. Fantastic stuff, Mr. Miller, and you've always been a pleasure to do business with!

If anyone has a TM strop to they want to get rid if PM me. I'd like to see what all the fuss is about. I'm sure no one "wants"'to get rid of one but if you want to sell it let me know. I didn't see the one on SRP until it was to late! Thanks guys for all the help. I even got a response from the man himself! How cool is that. Thanks Tony for the info

+1, if Tony doens't have full strops in stock, i'd opt for replacement leather and put together on of my own.

Luckily Tony has a few 2 1/2" Horsehide strops left and i have spoken for one of them. I finally get to own a TM strop. What a wonderful day this is. lol

I'm not glad Mr. Miller stopped producing strops...

I bought one because of the modular design, thinking I would be able to obtain replacement components..

I guess I'll just put the TM away for posterity and get another SRD that I can obtain replacements for.

Top Bottom