What's new

Tips & Techniques - All Things Cooking Related

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
We always covered our guac with a layer of food service film directly on top (touching) to prevent browning in the restaurant I used to work in.

+1 Did this same thing tonight. I use cling wrap and make sure it is tight against the avocado flesh.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Also, don't buy Vidalia or other sweet onions unless they are in season. Sweet onions out of season are more expensive and are likely shipped halfway around the world. Unless you NEED them for a recipe where they will be added raw, you aren't gaining too much when you cook with sweet onions since cooking brings out sweetness of anything in the allium family.

And when you get them you need to use them quickly as they spoil more quickly than other onions. (In my experience)

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I have about twelve seconds of free time today, so here's my tip of the day-

Grains of paradise. Put them in your pepper mill.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have about twelve seconds of free time today, so here's my tip of the day-

Grains of paradise. Put them in your pepper mill.
What happened with the month without meat? Did you make it? What did you win?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Poached eggs in a muffin tin makes great poached eggs. The guess work is eliminiated for the most part. You just decide on a firm or looser yolk.

Place muffin tin into oven and turn it on with temperature set to 350. Once the temp. is reached pull tin out and put 1 tablespoon of water into each cup (a little more if it is a big egg). Crack eggs into each cup where there is water and back into oven for 8-10 minutes for loose yolk or 10-13 for firmer yolk. It works like a charm every time. You may adjust the amount of water for each.

Just out of the oven
$IMG_1035.jpg

Poached eggs on top of provolone cheese, smoked deli turkey and whole wheat English muffin. Hot sauce is a must.
$IMG_1036.jpg

Last edited:

ouch

Poached eggs in a muffin tin makes great poached eggs. The guess work is eliminiated for the most part. You just decide on a firm or looser yolk.

Place muffin tin into oven and turn it on with temperature set to 350. Once the temp. is reached pull tin out and put 1 tablespoon of water into each cup (a little more if it is a big egg). Crack eggs into each cup where there is water and back into oven for 8-10 minutes for loose yolk or 10-13 for firmer yolk. It works like a charm every time. You may adjust the amount of water for each.

Just out of the oven
View attachment 578466

Poached eggs on top of provolone cheese, smoked deli turkey and whole wheat English muffin. Hot sauce is a must.
View attachment 578467

I would probably call those coddled eggs, but boy do they look great.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I'm going double or nothing for two months now.

You are a stronger man than I. I had to cook up a pack of bacon yesterday because I got two delicious beefsteak tomatoes from the farmer's market. How can one not eat tomatoes without bacon? :biggrin:

ouch

You are a stronger man than I. I had to cook up a pack of bacon yesterday because I got two delicious beefsteak tomatoes from the farmer's market. How can one not eat tomatoes without bacon? :biggrin:

Well, there's actually one thing that I require on a tomato more than bacon.
salt
Admittedly, bacon covers that.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
If I want to make more than 2 (3 for me, 2 for the wife) how do you pull the poached eggs? soft silicon spoon?

I just used a large metal soup spoon around the edges and it came out pretty easily. They are delicate so I took it real slow.

^ +1 and I'll raise you a technique, don't lift the chef knife off the cutting board, find a nice smooth rithmic rocking so that your wrist takes almost a slanted oval path.

^ +1 and I'll raise you a technique, don't lift the chef knife off the cutting board, find a nice smooth rithmic rocking so that your wrist takes almost a slanted oval path.

Now that we've illustrated the knife hand -- here's the guide hand.

Don't forget that the hand holding the food should have fingers curled slightly under with the knuckles protruding and acting as the guide for the blade. You should be able to maintain a quick rhythmic rocking-slice motion by moving the side of the blade against your knuckle. Obviously never lift the blade higher than your knuckle!

Re-position your hand as necessary -- however with practice, you will find you can move your hand and/or slide the food towards the knife without breaking rhythm.
It can be easier to cut a round food by slicing in half or shaving off a small flat spot onto one side so that the food stays stable and doesn't roll.

Proper position for guide hand
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Keep apple or pear slices from browning by tossing with a little lemon juice. (Any fruit juice will work even apple juice if you have it on hand)

Alternatively 1/8th teaspoon of salt in a cup of water. Soak the slices for a minute or so then rinse in cold water.

Top Bottom