What's new

Thinking about a travel razor- what is your setup?

I think you are thinking this through just right and have a lot of good ideas already. I've been guilty of taking a nice razor on a trip, and left part of it in a hotel bathroom. Dumb me, both for leaving it and for taking it in the first place.

I wouldn't necessarily get rid of your cartridge razor just yet. I use mine every time I fly someplace and only take a carry on (not to be confused with taking carrion, which makes an airplane overhead compartment smelly). I don't have a specialized razor for car trips, camping, or checked-luggage plane trips. I have a bunch of cheap razors, and I just grab one I can afford to lose.

But if you want a separate razor for trips (camping etc) when the TSA isn't an issue, I think a Gillette Tech makes a lot of sense. I wouldn't feel bad about losing one. They were produced in the millions, and are more plentiful than modern razors. The world won't miss one if you lost it. Might as well just pick up a couple while you're at it. They're that inexpensive. It would be cheaper than a new Merkur, although I think any of those would be a good alternative too. I like my 23C a lot.

Yes to an inexpensive synthetic brush for traveling. You can get a plastic tube to contain it (Muhle makes a nice one) or just use a length of PVC, a toilet paper tube, or a baggie.

Although they are cool, I'm not a fan of fold-up or collapsible travel razors. A razor just doesn't take up much space, especially a three-piece you can break down. For the same reason, I agree that a short travel handle is unnecessary on a travel razor.

Actually, some of the larger pill bottles might be able to hold a razor. I remember getting a couple that were the straight side, but with a HUGE lid.

I travel a lot and just end up taking one of my 3 piece razors with me. They fold up pretty small but I don't think even a large razor would get in the way. A travel brush is my next thing to think about. Currently I just use Old Spice cream and a wet hand to apply and its not bad but definitely not efficient.

I wish someone would make aftermarket or reproduction razor cases. I would dedicate a tech (my all time favourite razor) to my travel bag. Anyone do this other than Razor Emporium?

I'm trying to track down where to get the unmarked Bali cases, like I just received. separate hinges, rather than flexible plastic, a nice locking clip at the front, good fake plastic 'velvet' inside, and looks to be enough space under the razor for a full pack of blades.

If I'm flying, I go with a Gillette Guide (from India), a VDH boar brush (cheap), and a puck of soap in a convenient container. US TSA let me get by with Cella in the red screw-top container, but the German security agents in Frankfurt pulled out the Cella for inspection. Looks too much like plastic explosive, I guess.

If I'm not flying, I go with a 40s SuperSpeed with an aluminum handle or a Tech.

My travel setup is a Razorock clone of the EJ DE 89 head on a EJ Chrome handle. I stick that in an altoids type tin that I lined with felt and bring a dopp kit and liquids bag containing alum, shave cream, pre shave oil, aftershave, witch hazel, an empty TOBS tub for bowl lathering, a Razorock Plissoft brush in a Simpsons travel tube, a styptic pencil, along with the other stuff one typically brings when traveling. I only bring the double edge if I am traveling by road. If I go by air, I typically carry on so I leave the double edge at home and bring a Mach 3. Essentially I bring a smaller version of everything I use when shaving at home. It's a nice little luxury and keeps me grounded while out and about.

View attachment 720806View attachment 720807View attachment 720808View attachment 720809

That is terrific. How'd you make the compartments? Paper, cardboard, just several layers of felt?

I love the idea. Most of the aftermarket cases I've seen are good looking leather (or cheap looking leather) that may not protect the razor much that run from about $15 (for the cheap looking ones) to at least $25 for the good looking ones. This seems like a great idea.

A few people mentioned going with a 3-piece since they can be broken down further than other razors. Sounds like a good idea, though a 2-piece or a butterfly/TTO in a case wouldn't be all that large so it won't be an absolute requirement.

Many have mentioned flying. I've been avoiding flying when I can help it since 9/11/01. I always loved to fly, but the hassle of TSA security checks just isn't worth it to me. I am a teacher so for planned vacations I can take several days for travel since I'm off many summers (if I don't teach summer school that year). So, most of my trips are either by car or by train. I only fly if I'm going overseas, but that will be a long enough trip that I'm checking bags, or for short trips that are too far to drive considering the time, and for a short enough trip I may not need to shave anyway. Worst case, I can bring the razor and hit a drug store or an Art of Shaving store (yeah, I know, but in a pinch) to pick up a 5-pack of blades and consider those I don't use part of the cost of the trip.

Komboloi said:
I don't have a specialized razor for car trips, camping, or checked-luggage plane trips. I have a bunch of cheap razors, and I just grab one I can afford to lose.

But if you want a separate razor for trips (camping etc) when the TSA isn't an issue, I think a Gillette Tech makes a lot of sense.
I'm thinking about that (the multiple cheap razors). On this search, I'm seeing several that seem popular and well rated (especially the Baili, Weishi, and several from RazoRock) and while I tend to like nice things, I like to have a few versions of good but cheap items (beaters, for travel in case they are lost, and just for the heck of it since they don't cost much). As for the Tech, I've thought about it (especially after seeing some decent examples on Ebay for about the price of some of the budget razors), but I'd hate to lose or damage an out of production classic. If they are still very plentiful I might consider it, but what is cheap plentiful now may not always be so (I am thinking about the mil-surp rifle market).

I'm trying to track down where to get the unmarked Bali cases, like I just received. separate hinges, rather than flexible plastic, a nice locking clip at the front, good fake plastic 'velvet' inside, and looks to be enough space under the razor for a full pack of blades.

If you find out, let me know. One of the reasons I'm still strongly considering the Baili is that case. The whole package (with razor) costs about what some of the cheaper leather cases cost, and the hard plastic is probably more durable.

Last edited:
I use a Merkur 34C, a Semogue 830 brush, and a D.R. Harris stick. The razor, blades, and a styptic pencil fit nicely in this razor case that I got from Amazon. I keep them in my travel kit ready to go. Some thoughts:
  • I used the 34C for a year before I bought a Timeless. They're the only razors I own. The Timeless is the daily driver, and the 34C went to the travel bag.
  • The Semogue 830 is a bit smaller than my SOC, my daily driver. Its also a heckuva brush.
  • I got a stick because, IMHO, its cleaner for travel. I got DR Harris because the design works and I like DR Harris soaps.
  • The little razor case keeps the razor and blades safe from getting banged around other things.

Too much thought. Just pick one and go! It's only shaving. YMMV.
There's some truth to that. Just pick gear that you like that is also relatively compact and go with it.

Last edited:
I just bought some of the blank cases, I think they may have razors in them, however. Although, for a travel razor, the Baili is well made. Here's aliexpress -

Baili Gold

right this minute, that's 4.74 each, free shipping. Must be a gimmick, but if you don't mind the Baili name on the case, it's still cheaper than what I paid ($5 each for 10 of them, plus $7 shipping, but I don't have the Baili name on the boxes)

I can say good things about the ebay reseller nutnutretail - like others here, I've gotten good stuff from him. The cases, however, weren't through ebay, they were through his other store. He doesn't sell them on ebay. When they show up in a couple of weeks, I'll take photos of the unpacking. If there are razors inside, I can say that there'll be some PIFing going on.

That is terrific. How'd you make the compartments? Paper, cardboard, just several layers of felt?

I love the idea. Most of the aftermarket cases I've seen are good looking leather (or cheap looking leather) that may not protect the razor much that run from about $15 (for the cheap looking ones) to at least $25 for the good looking ones. This seems like a great idea.

I used a small piece of wood to divide the compartment. Bought the wood, felt and glue at Hobby Lobby. Bought the tin on Amazon. It is slightly bigger than an actual Altoids tin. Actually, I followed what others have done right here on B&B. Nothing really original in the design or execution. But it works.

I travel with a pre-war Tech in a Pelican 1010 micro case, a synthetic brush that'll dry fast, and a stick of La Toja. Travel is the only time that I face lather. The Tech will give a reasonably close shave with little chance of a nick, so I don't need to worry about that while traveling.

So many choices! Here are my top ones:

You can pick up a Gillette Tech Travel in good shape for under $15. It gives a solid mild shave.

The Turkish Yuma I bought for $3 from Turkey, shipping included, it delivers a very good shave.

The Mekur Bakelite is a wonderful, forgiving, lightweight, well engineered razor under $20 on Amazon.

The PAA Bakelite Slant,is under $20, lightweight, and efficient, and somewhat aggressive.

These all give a good shave and are lightweight.

Here's my cheapskate package. Yuma Razor, Arko shave stick, Omega synthetic brush, Rapira Platinum Lux. You can probably assemble it all for under $12, and you're good to go. It's lightweight and if you lose it all, no big deal. Plus you'll get very good shaves.

By the way, I shaved with this exact kit only about six months ago, and my shave was admired! Happy travels!

My travel setup:

Razor: A user grade Red Tip
Brush: Muhle synthetic
Soap: Currently a DRHarris Arlington shavestick.

I wrap a disassembled Gillette NEW in kitchen roll and put it in a shoe, at the bottom of my rucksack (I can use the kitchen roll for cuts). I fill an old hot sauce bottle with Thayer's witch hazel and drop that in alongside. I put an elastic band over the bristles of a brush and chuck that it, and lob a container of soap in, too.

However, I do think a re-purposed Altoids tin would bring this to a whole new level of sophistication.

I'm seeing a few suggestions of using a shave stick on this thread. Originally, I figured I'd bring a soap (like Sir Hare) or a cream (most) that are well suited to face lathering, but the shave stick idea is interesting, and would be more compact for traveling. Not to mention, a good excuse to try another product type that I hadn't thought much about before. I'll have to give a couple shave sticks a try (probably Arko, Palmolive, and something else though I don't know which).

As for the razor, I'm still thinking but I doubt I'll get one specifically to use for travel. I tend to be a collector and before I bought my first razor I knew I'd end up with several. I am seeing some well rated inexpensive razors, and I'll probably buy two or three (though probably only one for now and wait until I'm further along in my DE shaving and technique before I complicate things with too many different razor styles), but I'm only going to buy cheap razors that appear to be decent designs that I'll probably pick periodically for my daily shave. At the same time, I will also buy what I want (38C, and maybe one of the "regular" razors, like the 33c, that didn't really hit my radar until I was looking for a less expensive razor for travel) and I will probably sometimes take one of my nicer razors with me depending upon the mood. Nothing that I'm likely to buy anytime soon is or will be too hard to find or too expensive should it be damaged or lost in travel. So, I guess my thinking during this thread has evolved to more a "which razor should I buy next" and I'm thinking about some that weren't really on my radar (as well as some that were my 2nd or 3rd choices) when I bought my first two. I'm also thinking I may have to keep an eye out for a Tech or other mild to medium aggressive vintage, though I probably won't use that for travel (one thing I've learned from the revolver and mil-surp rifle markets over the past 15 years or so is what is cheap and plentiful today won't necessarily always remain so), so if I go vintage this time, I'll probably go Tech (cheaper than some other options) and buy a cheaper razor (like the RazoRock) for travel for now.

Last edited:
i usually use a 4 piece no-name German razor, and a "better brushes" collapsible brush. i have a Tobac shave stick and a little spray bottle of Tobac aftershave. all of this is very compact and work great.
$travel 2.jpg$better3.jpg
sometimes if i have more space i take a Gillette Tuckaway, which holds extra blades.

OK, I made my initial purchase (like I said in my most recent post, I'll probably end up with several options to choose from). I just placed an order on Italian Barber for two razors, the RR DE1 and the RR Old Type Open Comb (their open comb sounds like it is pretty mild for an OC razor), and I bought a RR Plisson Big Bruce synthetic brush. I'll probably use an old toilet paper tube to protect the brush when traveling. I do still have my eye on both the RR Mission and the RR Barber Pole, and at just over $20, the short handled EJ is looking very tempting. I'm sure I'll end up with the Merkur 38C pretty soon (and probably either a 33C or 34C as well). So, I'm sure I'm not done here.

I also need to start checking out some shave sticks to see which I'd prefer. They are definitely more compact than a soap in a tin or a cream for travel.

Last edited:
In my reply I mentioned the Yuma razor from Turkey. However, it seems to be unavailable. So I recommend for price the low price razors mentioned in the this thread already, offer by Razorock.

However, I would like to point out that the Merkur Bakelite comes with a travel case.

Another consideration is how often you need to shave. When I travel for business I have to shave daily, so it's important to me to have a razor that produces a very good shave and with little chance of irritation if used daily. For me this disqualifies my PAA Bakelite Slant, because I find it a little too rough for daily use, though it's efficient.

When I'm travelling, I could be jetlagged, hungover, or both. So I only take top-quality stuff.

$eyZFZ9G.jpg
Razor: Schick Type M adjustable injector razor
Blade: Ted Pella injector blades
Brush: Plisson pour l'Occitane synthetic
Lather: la Savonnière du Moulin savon à barbe au lait bio d'ânesse
After: l'Occitane l'Occitan eau de toilette

Top Bottom