What's new

THE VEG…what a letdown

I finally bit the bullet and ordered a travel size bottle of the the dreaded veg.

I was expecting a stink bomb of epic proportion, but all I got was a tiny hint of lilac from the bottle, and mostly baby powder once on the skin. Quite old-lady and boring actually.

Will be transferring to glass and set it aside for a few months to see what happens.

I finally bit the bullet and ordered a travel size bottle of the the dreaded veg.

I was expecting a stink bomb of epic proportion, but all I got was a tiny hint of lilac from the bottle, and mostly baby powder once on the skin. Quite old-lady and boring actually.

Will be transferring to glass and set it aside for a few months to see what happens.

Yeah, it's pretty terrible.

You like to live on the edge I see!😂
Sorry you were disappointed, yea, maybe some aging would help with the “aroma”.

It won't, unless it magically morphs into Old Spice. Mine did not.

I haven't used the Veg as an aftershave before work, but on the weekends when I shower, then do a lot of work around the house and then "need" to head out to get something to eat, I'll wash up a bit and then give myself a liberal splash to "freshen up," I figure if it was originally formulated for the cavalry soldiers to overcome the smell of their horses, any stink I can muster is no match. The Veg works great for a freshen up, I'm just not quite there yet to wear it to work.

Lillac Vegetal is horrible out of a plastic bottle, but improves significantly as soon as you decant it into a glass bottle.

This was the very first fragrance produced by Edouard Pinaud. Pinaud became the perfumer to the court of Napoleon III. He developed the fragrance as an aftershave lotion and body splash to be used by the men of the Hungarian Calvary. The Hungarian Calvary were also called Hussars. They were special operations units who rode horseback. They were some of the most highly trained and fearsome warriors of their time. They were highly recruited by all the European courts. They are similar to the Navy Seals, Army Rangers, and Royal Marine Commandos of our time.

I suspect that the Hussars might have taken great exception to being told they smell like an old woman. Thus, when wearing the fragrance, pretend that you are a mighty warrior headed into combat on your steed.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Old lady and cat pee.
3-simpsons-crazy-cat-lady-01-chung-in-lam.jpg

It is my understanding that the Hussars are still a part of the British army in a regiment known as the King's Royal Hussars. Rather than riding horses with light armor, they now command Challenger II main battle tanks which are some of the most heavily armored vehicles in the world. Apparently, they sill use some of the same tactics used by earlier Calvary regiments making them a formidable force. In this century, they were employed to both Iraq and Afghanistan.

I have no idea whether "The Veg" is still their fragrance of choice.

Mr. Shavington

Knows Hot Turkish Toilets
It is my understanding that the Hussars are still a part of the British army in a regiment known as the King's Royal Hussars. Rather than riding horses with light armor, they now command Challenger II main battle tanks which are some of the most heavily armored vehicles in the world. Apparently, they sill use some of the same tactics used by earlier Calvary regiments making them a formidable force. In this century, they were employed to both Iraq and Afghanistan.

I have no idea whether "The Veg" is still their fragrance of choice.
You couldn’t wear The Veg in a small, enclosed space like a tank. You’d probably go blind from the fumes.

I really doubt that old lady and cat pee is a requirement for the modern Hussar. If anything they’d be forbidden from wearing perfume since it’d make them very easy pickings for any enemy situated downwind. And probably the enemy could track where all the stray cats are heading.

I wanted to be clobbered by stink.

I wanted it to live up to its reputation.

Unfortunately, it didn’t happen.

Its just a dull, inoffensive granny smell.

Maybe I got a good(or bad?) bottle of the stuff.

Just transferred it to an empty Proraso bottle and will set it aside for a few months to see what happens.

Maybe I’ll be one of ”THE CHOSEN”, who knows!

If it doesn’t work out, I’ll transfer it back to the plastic bottle and pass it on.

There’s a lobsterman’s co-op in Maine that has a vat of rotting fish heads in a building at the end of the dock. We used to wager whether someone could go out there, stay there for 1 minute and walk back. No one ever succeeded. A splash of Lilac Vegetal would likely negate that stench but you’d end up smelling worse.

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
:cuppa: Good luck. Put mine in glass like six years ago, and it STILL smells like Veg.

Found my notes!:

The best part is that the Veg can be blended with other aftershaves to create new and interesting blends that also smell horrible.

Notes from 2020:

"I am NOT chosen - no how, no way - yet I've used most of a big bottle of The Veg, and will replace it when gone; such is my respect for the Hungarian Cavalry - those brave fellows!

The Veg - with it's brassy top note of Urinal Puck; funky middle notes of Formaldehyde, Satin Pillow and Relative's Tears; and of course famous (whew!) base notes of Play-Doh, Fake Flowers and Actual Urea/Cat Urea, is a classic my shave den will never be without!

The fuzzy green haze that embraces a user, as you go about the day, pondering the last funeral you attended, really helps put things in perspective - things like Bay Rum, fougeres, Clubman, better aftershaves etc."

AA

Last edited:
:cuppa: Good luck. Put mine in glass like six years ago, and it STILL smells like Veg.

Found my notes!:

The best part is that the Veg can be blended with other aftershaves to create new and interesting blends that also smell horrible.

Notes from 2020:

"I am NOT chosen - no how, no way - yet I've used most of a big bottle of The Veg, and will replace it when gone; such is my respect for the Hungarian Cavalry - those brave fellows!

The Veg - with it's brassy top note of Urinal Puck; funky middle notes of Formaldehyde, Satin Pillow and Relative's Tears; and of course famous (whew!) base notes of Play-Doh, Fake Flowers and Actual Urea/Cat Urea, is a classic my shave den will never be without!

The fuzzy green haze that embraces a user, as you go about the day, pondering the last funeral you attended, really helps put things in perspective - things like Bay Rum, fougeres, Clubman, better aftershaves etc."

AA
Those Hungarian Hussars must have been tough mofos to wear the Veg

Found my notes!:

Notes from 2020:

AA
You forgot the Windex finish.

Top Bottom