What's new

The Sprout-B&B Gardening 2015

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Oh we have many a pointless expanse of grass but they'll use powered mowers on the bigger ones. We do have the same machines just refer to them differently. When you said push mower i envisioned something like the mower i posted, a Herculean task for your wife or anyone else to tackle.
dave

That is kind of what I thought...a difference in terminology. Around here some mowers are reffed to as batwings. :biggrin1:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Ps. Garden is starting to produce now, radishes and arugula for tonight's salad and a few rhubarb pies to date. Will put in the tomattoes and peppers this week. Weather's i bit crazy, yesterday we hit 31C, today's high was 9-10C, but the first substantial rain this year.

Good to hear it's producing. I think mine may be beyond salvaging.

That second one looks to be wider then my entire city lot!

If you get dried soon, your season should be somewhat salvagable with additional new plantings, yes/no?

We cram alot into a pretty brief season with quickly maturing varieties of plants and succcesssion planting. Garlic is harvested mid to late July and into that spot goes beans, carrots, radishes, salad greens and other fast plants. As soon as a spot is harvested and cleared something new is planted or transplanted, always something new coming along.
dave

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
That second one looks to be wider then my entire city lot!

If you get dried soon, your season should be somewhat salvagable with additional new plantings, yes/no?

We cram alot into a pretty brief season with quickly maturing varieties of plants and succcesssion planting. Garlic is harvested mid to late July and into that spot goes beans, carrots, radishes, salad greens and other fast plants. As soon as a spot is harvested and cleared something new is planted or transplanted, always something new coming along.
dave

Naww.. The first batwing is not bigger...the second one just has the side "wings" down...and there are mower blades in the middle section.

I'm hoping I can replant some things. I walked out in the yard awhile ago and in the low spots my feet sank above the soles on my thick soled shoes. No way that little reel mower that you pictured would do anything right now...and bigger power mowers would get stuck big time.

Red River bridge is closed for a few days, and since SWMBO works in Oklahoma she is going to have to drive about 20 miles east to get to the closest bridge that is open, then north a bit, then about 30 miles west to get to work.

At least there was not the fatalities and property damage that happened south of here. Although we did lose a kitten to a skunk that got under the porch and was after the litter, and it killed several of another litter, that I beat the crap out of its head with my hands and got it to let go of one it had in its mouth. Yes, it did try to spray but i sidestepped and it missed, then it turned around with the kitten still in its mouth until I beat the Sh##t out of its head.

And we had a kitten that we bottle fed before it even had its eyes open and raised in the house after momma abandoned it, that was a little over 2 years old now, that went missing Friday morning along with another wild arsed "barn cat"...I think coyotes moving due to the flood waters. He was the sweetest and most gentle thing...that lived in the house and just went out to potty and play.

It's war. And I have a good 4 wheel dive thing to patrol on that can get through the muck...a horse.

I'm donating to the Red Cross.The people that have been hard hit in Texas and Oklahoma need the help.

All the best going forward Simon, mother nature sure does some serious messing around in your part of the continent!
dave

Year 3 of trying to yield some good produce from the back yard gardens. I did a massive pile of super hots last year and was giving them away as fast as I could but still ended up tossing a lot of pods simply because i didn't have any good use for them. This years goal was a lot more variety and flavors that could be used in the kitchen and as gifts for non-chilihead family and friends. So heres what I've got going on this year :

New guys for the 12x5 compost filled bed:

Jalapeno
Piment D'Espelette
White Bullet Habanero
Chocolate Habanero
Aji Lemon Drop
Venezuelan Tiger
Corno Di Toro Giallo
Aleppo
Maras Biber
Pepperoncini

These two are do-overs but should be filling in the last 2 spots in the main bed:
Wiri-Wiri
Friggitello

[Side garden
Red Bhut Jolokia *(3yr old)
Yellow Devil's Tongue (3yr old)
2x Pepperoncini's

Seedlings January 14th 2015:
proxy.php

Some plants that were started in September that I tried to overwinter... they actually turned leathery and didn't make it.
proxy.php

I added this meat eater to the winter grow shelf to help with any flies... it did a great job actually:
proxy.php

I had an over watering problem that caused the first round of Wiri-Wiri to simply stop growing past this stage for like 2 months.
proxy.php

The rest of the guys got dried out and transplanted into some fresh potting mix that was 11lbs of coconut coir, about 1/2 a bag of Perlite, 5lbs of sand, and a bin full of compost:
proxy.php

They responded well. And after about 4 weeks of growth they moved outside for some hardening off on the back porch before it got too hot:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The walkway/side garden with the two 3yr old overwintered plants and 2 perpperoncini's... the other bin had garlic and eventually there will be carrots and squash sprouts. Both definitely need some new walls.
proxy.php

Off in the distance in full sun is the 12'x5ish' raised bed that was home to way too many plants last year... this year i think this will be much more productive:
proxy.php

Some pepperoncinis already developing after only a week in the dirt:
proxy.php

Some tiger lilies about to explode in another week or so, theres a couple hibiscus in here and a rose as well. I will likely put a couple more peppers in here to add some color:
proxy.php

Some other fun stuff around the back yard:
foxglove year 3:
proxy.php

proxy.php

Some overflowing thyme:
proxy.php

Great looking garden, hard to beat eating garden fresh produce!

Last year we processed the scorpions & ghost peppers into jelly, blow the top of your head off, scary hot!

proxy.php

proxy.php

dave

Sorry for the low-quality picture, but here's pesto made from our Thai basil plants. It's destined for a pizza this evening.
$uploadfromtaptalk1436633234951.jpg

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Well, here's a couple of quick pics. of my dead garden from this morning. Due to the flood waters the ground was too wet to get anything in there to keep it tended/mowed until grass and weeds grew up and strangled everything.

It's dry enough now to get the mower in, but since it's kaput I just let the "automatic mower" work in there for awhile.

Attachments

• $027.jpg
    $027.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 51
  • $008.jpg
    $008.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 51
  • $006.jpg
    $006.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 52

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Mike, rent-a-goat.

That's an excellent idea...CABRITO!!!

Dad had a couple of sheep out back for awhile when I was a kid to help keep the grass down...they crop it close.

That's a shame Mike. Will you plant something again for this year?

SWMBO is not interested in doing a fall garden, but when I get it mowed down I might till up a bit to see if some peppers or something will work this late in the year.

Good thing I didn't plant 'taters...they would have rotted in the ground before the grass took over. SWMBO said some people at work had theirs do that this year.

Harvested the years supply of garlic this afternoon, planted last November. Been growing this garlic on for twenty or so years. When i started bulbs usually contained four not so big cloves. Have always set aside the biggest bulbs for cloves to plant for the next years crop.

The bulbs now average 6,7 cloves and the cloves can be monsters.

Eighteen square feet for our years supply, sixty bulbs, enough for the dills canned yesterday, next years crop, giveaways and all we can eat. Still eating last years, crisp and juicy with lots of flavour. After curing just hang them in mesh bags down in our cooler basement.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Toonie's 1.1"/28mm in diameter.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Ten varieties of tomatoes, the earliest are showing the first blush of red and sweet corn hit the market this weekend, summer is officially here!

All the best!
dave

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Dave, wow, just wow. Thank you for taking the time to show us your garden. Explain the Canadian coin sitting on the the garlic bulbs.

Thank you!!

The coin... When the Canadian dollar bill was ditched for a $1 coin it had/has the image of a loon on it, loon's a water bird, think duck with a plaintiff call. The coin came to be refered to as a loonie. Next up the two dollar bill was eventually replaced by the pictured coin, absolutely common tender, everyone refers to it as a toonie, two loonie equivalent. Nothing special other then it's two piece construction.
dave

Bravo, Dave!

Our beans are starting to grow, and it seems like we'll have a lot. Sweet potatoes are doing well as well. The Thai basil has gone nuts, there is so much of it. Making more pesto tomorrow as well as drying some more out. Has bit more "kick" that regular basil. Eggplant seems to well on it's way. Oddly, my Datil pepper plant isn't doing so well. Lots of flowers, no peppers. About time to think about the winter garden. We are seriously considering turning the whole front yard into a garden.

Thanks Stephen!

My understanding of peppers is that iif t stays too hot through the night they won't set fruit and will drop the flowers, once the nights start cooling off it's a signal to the plant to set fruit and produce seed for continuation. Found a couple peppers today with the first tinge of red. Our Thai Basil this year is just limping along but the genovese is going great.

A winter garden, now there's a dream, what can you grow to make up your ideal winter garden, are peppers perennial for you?

dave

I've heard that about peppers. It makes sense, as it is barely getting to 78F overnight.

We can grow almost anything in the "winter". Tomatoes even, once it cools off, and probably peppers. We'd like to try onions. We'll do kale, acorn squash, carrots. This is our first attempt at gardening, so I'm basing it off what others have told me and what I've read.

Top Bottom