What's new

The Sprout-2016

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Nice lookin' winter tomatoes Aaron. Yours too Chris...oh, wait...it's not winter there.

I think it may be time...well, past time...to plant some garlic. I haven't had much luck with it here though. Brother-in-law gave me some bulbs from his city garden about four years ago and they grew a bit but didn't produce. There was a wild garlic that got the fuzzy stuff on the top stalk, just across the pasture fence, about three years ago and I got the bulbs for use and left a few in the ground but nothing else happened. With the floods to drought to floods this hasn't been a good couple of years.

I may try some garlic in the fabric buckets that SWMBO has for her tomatoes in a few days with store bought dirt stuff. Somehow...store bought dirt just doesn't sound right to me, but the garlic has not done well in this soil. Or maybe it's just me.

My BIL said garlic will take over the ground real quick but that doesn't seem to happen out here.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I have only grown garlic once. Planted on the shortest day and harvested on the longest day.
Fresh local new season garlic is in our supermarkets now. I need to plant some more if I can remember to do it.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Here's my garlic. Set and forget. Half of these garlic heads are from the supermarket...grown in California. The other half is a variety I picked up at the farmers market. The farmer said it was an old variety that came from Mexico.

My first time growing garlic. The leaves are very tasty. I'm thinking it will be ready in May.

$IMG_2628.jpg$IMG_2629.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I have only grown garlic once. Planted on the shortest day and harvested on the longest day.
Fresh local new season garlic is in our supermarkets now. I need to plant some more if I can remember to do it.

Chris,

How are the poblano's coming? Any fruit yet? Are you staking them, attaching them to your string and clips or nothing at all?

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Chris,

How are the poblano's coming? Any fruit yet? Are you staking them, attaching them to your string and clips or nothing at all?

The poblano's are getting tall and look like a few buds forming. At the moment I don't have any support for them. I may drop a string or two down this weekend.
The tomatillo is getting larger and encroaching on its space. I also need to drop extra strings for it and pull it back in line. There are a few husks forming and I hope Mr bumble bee has pollinated them.

Things should start taking off soon. I will take some photos this weekend.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The poblano's are getting tall and look like a few buds forming. At the moment I don't have any support for them. I may drop a string or two down this weekend.
The tomatillo is getting larger and encroaching on its space. I also need to drop extra strings for it and pull it back in line. There are a few husks forming and I hope Mr bumble bee has pollinated them.

Things should start taking off soon. I will take some photos this weekend.

I just transplanted 2 poblano's and 2 tomatillo's into larger pots where they will stay for the rest of their lives. One of the poblano's has a nice pea sized fruit:001_smile. I started some micro-dwarf cherry tomato seeds last week and they are all germinated. They will go in small pots.

I feel proud, the LOML took a Brandywine tomato to work today. She reported back it was a big hit around the office. Her boss especially...:a53:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I'm easy either way.

tommy toe tomatoes have started to ripen.

$DSC_0002.jpg

Just those and the golden cherry ones are the only ripe ones at the moment.

$DSC_0001.jpg

Hmmm ants on the tomatillo.

$DSC_0004.jpg

$DSC_0013.jpg

Top Bottom