What's new

The Simpson 46 Berkeley Thread

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Zombeh Thread! 😜 Yet I used mine today, too.

A "Best," though mine is a bit scritchy. Good choice, therefore, for hard soaps such as triple milled PdP63.

AA

I haven’t used mine in a while. Need to use it this week!

Great smaller Simpson brush. The Classic 2 is better but more money. The Berkeley is better than the special IMO and not much more $$$. Maybe this is why they discontinued the Special?

The 46 is a great little brush. I picked mine up several years ago in Best Badger. It stays in my rotation and is on deck today.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
There was a time I thought a small badger like this was ideal for travel, but really a small synth is probably better since they dry so much faster than any badger.

AA

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
There was a time I thought a small badger like this was ideal for travel, but really a small synth is probably better since they dry so much faster than any badger.

AA

... and Simpson's do a Berkeley in sovereign now ;)

I have a pure and a best Berkeley queued up for breaking in. So far I have only used the pure once, and I can see why it has appeal. I still don't know yet if they will "beat" the Case or Special for me (which I also have in both best and pure), but both feel like they are going to be excellent face lathering brushes.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
... and Simpson's do a Berkeley in sovereign now ;)

I have a pure and a best Berkeley queued up for breaking in. So far I have only used the pure once, and I can see why it has appeal. I still don't know yet if they will "beat" the Case or Special for me (which I also have in both best and pure), but both feel like they are going to be excellent face lathering brushes.

Another travel plus is that my 22mm Maggard's synth travel brush was only $10 during a Black Friday ... I also leave the titanium razors home when traveling, too. If I lose a Bic Metal or Gillette Tech, no biggie.

The Berk is a great little brush (size). Mine is semi-scritchy, but there are times when that feels great! No gossamer touch. Lets you know it's working!

AA

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Another travel plus is that my 22mm Maggard's synth travel brush was only $10 during a Black Friday ... I also leave the titanium razors home when traveling, too. If I lose a Bic Metal or Gillette Tech, no biggie.

The Berk is a great little brush (size). Mine is semi-scritchy, but there are times when that feels great! No gossamer touch. Lets you know it's working!

AA

I have one of those 22mm Maggards synthetic brushes too. It used to be a favourite of mine, particularly with creams. However, I've been using small Simpson and Vulfix brushes for the last 18 months (Case, Special, Mayfair and Piccadilly), and now that Maggards brush feels enormous. Not so much due to the diameter, but the loft casts a wide footprint when splayed, or even just painting.

I have a Special in Sovereign now, and that's a wonderful brush for using with shave sticks, as is my Trafalgar T2. My best synthetic brush for shave sticks though, is my Omega Hi-brush. Horrible for splaying and scrubbing with, as it flicks lather everywhere, but used with painting strokes only, it makes superb lather.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Omega Hi Brush: from that description, I have one. Beautiful barber pole brush? Mine is, but they likely have many styles.

Spectacular, but no splayer. If it happens, do whole face whole splayed! :punk:

AA

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Omega Hi Brush: from that description, I have one. Beautiful barber pole brush? Mine is, but they likely have many styles.

Spectacular, but no splayer. If it happens, do whole face whole splayed! :punk:

AA

Mine is the ridged type handle. On the far right in this pic (this is all my synthetics)

20230921_113927.jpg

Top Bottom