What's new

The Philadelphia Experiment

So SWMBO wants to go to a YouTube conference/meetup in Philly next weekend. I'll have several free hours to hang around by myself, soi was just wondering if anyone would want to get together for a cheesesteak and several drinks. I'll bring shave goodies!

I've spent a total of about 7 hours in that city, so I know next to nothing about what there is to do except museums and cheesesteak :scared: I'm open to anything.

So SWMBO wants to go to a YouTube conference/meetup in Philly next weekend. I'll have several free hours to hang around by myself, soi was just wondering if anyone would want to get together for a cheesesteak and several drinks. I'll bring shave goodies!

I've spent a total of about 7 hours in that city, so I know next to nothing about what there is to do except museums and cheesesteak :scared: I'm open to anything.

Greetings from Mendel!

Although I'm not a native Philadelphian, I have lived in the Philly suburbs since 1993. I'm game. Let's invite Kooze... He's just over the river in Southern New Jersey.

Let me know.

meetup in Philly next weekend. I'll have several free hours to hang around by myself, soi was just wondering if anyone would want to get together for a cheesesteak and several drinks. I'll bring shave goodies!

Greetings from Mendel!

Let's invite Kooze... He's just over the river in Southern New Jersey.

Invite accepted :). PM's incoming

I'd be in, but I'm working Saturday & Sunday 11-11. I'll be there in spirit(s).

My 2 cents: I can't advise on bars but a museum to do here is the Atwater-Kent museum about the history of Philly. My vote as a native for cheesesteaks is Geno's, at 1219 South 9th Street (9th & Passyunk, between Federal and Wharton sts.). Also, check out the new Barnes Foundation art museum on the Ben Franklin Parkway at 2025 Benjamin Franklin Parkway Philadelphia, PA 19130.

Alas, Philly doesn't have any great shave-friendly drugstores like NYC but there is an Art of Shaving on Walnut st near 15th.

Stop by Nazareth Hospital's ER on Sunday to say hi; ask for Ted!

Geno's? Ugh, their steaks are like dry SteakUmms in a roll. Even Pat's across the street is preferable, at least theirs are actual chopped steak. I personally would recommend Tony Luke's down on Oregon @ Front with the recommendation to try their roast pork, their greens are also pretty good if you want some Rabe on your sandwich. I'd also recommend The Original Old Nick's Roast Beef @ 20th & Jackson right off Passyunk. Go for the roast beef combo & give their roast pork a try. Go for the combo here too and get it with gravy. Speaking of, don't forget to try the gravy fries, they'll put anything you'd get up in Canada to shame and I personally go for a pitcher of Birch Beer. Be sure to bring cash, they don't take checks or cards (they have an ATM but why pay the surcharge?).

Geno's? Ugh, their steaks are like dry SteakUmms in a roll. Even Pat's across the street is preferable, at least theirs are actual chopped steak. I personally would recommend Tony Luke's down on Oregon @ Front with the recommendation to try their roast pork, their greens are also pretty good if you want some Rabe on your sandwich. I'd also recommend The Original Old Nick's Roast Beef @ 20th & Jackson right off Passyunk. Go for the roast beef combo & give their roast pork a try. Go for the combo here too and get it with gravy. Speaking of, don't forget to try the gravy fries, they'll put anything you'd get up in Canada to shame and I personally go for a pitcher of Birch Beer. Be sure to bring cash, they don't take checks or cards (they have an ATM but why pay the surcharge?).

Havent been to Nick's in a long time- just made me hungry. Have you ever tried Cosmi's deli? Good stuff.

And then there is Sarcone's. Or just hang closer to the city and hit Tommy Dinic's in the reading terminal.

If you're looking for a museum then try the Mutter Museum. Although, you may not want to eat after seeing some of the good stuff.

http://www.collegeofphysicians.org/mutter-museum/

Never been there! And used to walk by it twice a day :(

Oh, and most bars in the city carry Victory (or maybe I just stumble into the good ones). That is, if you folks enjoy local craft beer.

Havent been to Nick's in a long time- just made me hungry. Have you ever tried Cosmi's deli? Good stuff.

And then there is Sarcone's. Or just hang closer to the city and hit Tommy Dinic's in the reading terminal.

Yeah Cosmi's is good, I stop in the Deli on 4th & Bainbridge pretty much every time I hit South for their health salad, it's one of the few I like. Dinic's I've heard about but I never think of it because every time I think of it my mind always goes "I dunno, Reading is a ways away" *LOL* I gotta stop in there one of these days, I just hate going into center city.

wish I could make it, have clients laying a nearby venue in Scranton PA - and I can't be a 'no show' - but have fun!

and for you Philly folks - we'll put together another gathering early fallish!

Just a quick question, has anyone tried to do a Philly/ south eastern PA meetup at one of our local breweries?

Victory- Downingtown, PA
Sly Fox- Phoenixville, PA
Triumph- Phila, PA
Yards- Phila, PA
Philly brewco- Phila, PA
Flying Fish- Cherry Hill, NJ

and there are other ones around the area too.

If you guys ever want to head a little further west, there's plenty of fine craft breweries/pubs in South-Central PA:

Lancaster: Lancaster Brewing Co., Iron Hill Brewery
Adamstown: Stoudt's Brewing
Mt. Joy: Bube's Brewery
Hershey: Troegs Brewing Co.
Harrisburg: Appalachian Brewing Co.
And probably a few others squirreled away in the hinterlands.

I'm in Harrisburg, but I'm willing to travel a bit, so let me know if there's any interest.

Agreed on the above but Di'Nics in the RTM has better sandwiches.

wish I could make it, have clients laying a nearby venue in Scranton PA - and I can't be a 'no show' - but have fun!

and for you Philly folks - we'll put together another gathering early fallish!

I'll certainly be there. I am not a drinker but I'm always up for a good meal.

Top Bottom