What's new

The Nib Acquisitions for 2023.

2019 special edition Mint Glaze Lamy Safari, F nib
20230303_161300.jpg

Last week I said I had bought a Montblanc 146, well it hasn’t arrive from Canada, but I did find another pen I was wanting again for a price I couldn’t pass up! So here is my Visconti Homo Sapiens Dark Age “M” nib!!! The seller also kindly included a Lamy Safari and a Lamy ballpoint!!! I loaded the Dark Age with Akkerman’s #5 Shocking blue and I am loving the way it writes!!! I will post pictures of the Montblanc when it arrives!!!

9BB1D264-C295-4E7A-BF0C-D10D5BEC1C31.jpeg
1AFB0B80-1B47-4A5B-8F00-D53BE3833465.jpeg

Tom

I gave in to the Jinhao X159 in orange 😊 It had teething problems as it was one continuous skip after the other. Flushed it multiple times with inks and water and now seems to be behaving properly. It is a very smooth writer. Comparable in size with my MB 149 which is a good thing

Not understanding what the hype on the Pilot Capless is about I bought a Majohn A1. I now have a Capless at a fraction of the price of the Pilot, to analyse, that writes nicely. Still do not understand the hype around it though!

I bought a Montblanc 146 on St Thomas USVI while on vacation, but it wrote too fat for me so I have sent it out to get the nib replaced. It was a medium and I'm having it changed to a fine. You get a free nib replacement within 6 weeks of purchase. Now I have to wait for it to come back.

Not understanding what the hype on the Pilot Capless is about I bought a Majohn A1. I now have a Capless at a fraction of the price of the Pilot, to analyse, that writes nicely. Still do not understand the hype around it though!
I was thinking of getting a Majohn A1 to have for quick note taking. You still don't think it would be worth while? For me I think it would be valuable to be able to take notes one-handed.

if this is the use you need it for, why not. It is always ready to write, never skips. All my fps are used for journaling and note taking at meetings so having to unscrew the cap has never caused me any issues. I can see the A1 and similar for seldom and quick note taking, like jumping out of a plane and signing your will 😊

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Nine new inks to try out, plus two favourites I only had in cartridges (Sapphire Blue and Oxblood), and wanted in a bottle.

20230411_085951.jpg

I still need a bottle of Midnight, which is another I only have in cartridges. I'm holding off until I get more drawer space though, as I might get the larger glass bottle of that.

Now, I need a plan for trying these new inks out...

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
That sapphire blue looks interesting....you have me curious now!

I'm just revisiting this now, kind of. It's the first fill out of a new bottle, having only ever used it in cartridges before now. There is a very slight purple lean to it, but just enough to take the cold edge off. It gently nudges the hue to add a little interest, and stop it looking like you're written with a cheap biro, without dragging it away from being "blue", if you know what I mean.

For me, it has just the right amount of saturation too, so it doesn't excessively shade or sheen. It's pretty much exactly what I want from a blue fountain pen ink. Not too dark, bright, wet, dry, etc. Obviously, pen and paper will affect the final presentation, but it works very well for me.

Top Bottom