What's new

The Metric System

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
$signs.jpg

$burmashave.jpg

But our (metric) made up rules are cooler than yours.
like the The Avogadro Project
because a uncertainty of approximately 0.1 ppm is just to much.

Royal Albert Hall measures 86,650 cu. meters in total auditorium volume.

If you want inches you have figure it out yourself because my tape measure is metric and they kicked me out because apparently crawling all over the floor and scribbling on the walls is against some ones rules.
Its not like it was a very good concert either.

I worked in mechanical design back when the government "changed over". The engineer would create his design, in inches. He would then convert his sketches to metric, with tolerances such as plus or minus 0.127. The draftsmen would follow protocol and round them to two places. The blueprint would go to the machinist, who would get out his calculator and red pencil and proceed to convert everything back to the inches that his machinery and available stock used.

Even if there wasn't a calculational error, the parts often wouldn't fit due to the rounding off of the tolerances and dimensions. The end result was more governmental waste of the taxpayer's money.

I did that exact thing at work today. Big ol' drawing in metric. Every single micrometer, caliper, scale, indicator, tape, and left-handed smoke shifter in my tool box is standard. Out comes the calculator and pencil. I spent a solid two hours dividing by 25.4 to make the drawing right.

One of these day's I'll choke up the money to outfit myself with some metric tools. While I don't care for metric, I do care about conversion and rounding errors. Who here remembers how we lost a rather expensive Mars probe??

It has been observed that children who speak languages whose orthography is simple -- viz you spell as it sounds -- learn to read much faster than children having to cope with a complex and irregular orthography. I wonder if there are any similar effects of having metric vs. imperial measurements?

For example, would I have been smarter I had had to struggle with inches, feet and yards as a child rather than simply moving the comma a couple of places?

Top Bottom