What's new

The Gillette "Fatboy"... what's it like as a shaver?

I've got one from 1959. If I had to choose a favorite out of my collection, that would be it. Throw in an Astra SP and crank it up to 5.

My 5 o'clock shadow is running a few hours late and sends its apologies.

I too would give a slight decimal point edge to the Gillette slim. However, when you pick up a fatboy, you know that you're picking up a solid piece of post-WWII American consumer engineering.

It's made of real medal, not the POTS of modern Merkurs, the no-nonsense knurled handle assures that there's no slippage and there's plenty of heft that assures that the well designed head works for a perfect shave. The fact that my 61 celebrated it's 50th birthday last September gives us pause to wonder what other products that we own that will last half as long.

Be sure to open the silo doors before you adjust the blade gap dial.

+ 1 on everything here. Well said.

I have two mint fourth quarter 1958's, which coincides with my birth date and it's always something I think of when I use one of them. Other than my razors and camera, I don't believe anything I own has lasted half that long, and my fatboys will continue for at least another 53 years without difficulty.

I've got three Fat Boys, two Slims, one Aristocrat Adjustable and two Black Beauties. I find the Fat Boy is king, the best razor I own (for me).

In my opinion the Fatboy, together with the Slim Adjustable, are the two best vintage razors which outperform many of the DE razors of todays production.

In my opinion the Fatboy, together with the Slim Adjustable, are the two best vintage razors which outperform many of the DE razors of todays production.

I've never had a newer DE than a 1980, and I just got that one. My original razors were Gillettes, and when I did finally start using DEs, I bought Gillette Adjustable razors during the mid to late 1960s. My pair of Slims are still with me, very little worse for all those years, and my Super Adjustable, also. I was using Injectors in the early 1960s when I could have owned a 195 Adjustable model as a new razor.

Relatively recently (April - May, maybe?), I did get one of them of my own. It shaves very well, about the same as the other two models, with a slight different feel. Probably because my first successful DE shaves were with the Slim, I prefer it, but the difference is a very small one. My last few DE shaves have been with the 43 year year old SA razor, though.

This razor is fool proof, is very forgiving, one of the smoothest shaves you will get, and when adjusted to 5 or above will give you a very close shave.

It may be one of the most reassuring De's ever made, from design to performance.

Last edited:
What's Rickey Henderson like as a ballplayer?

Fatboys are good. I prefer older razors, and open combs obviously, but the Fatboy's reputation is well earned.

I got one after reading the reviews and praise on here :)

I've had it around a year now. For me the #3 setting is fine, if doing multiple passes (with the grain, across or against the grain etc). I love it to bits.

Blade choice certainly does make a difference. I have some Israeli blades that are super-sharp and work great. Other blades such as "Shark" or "Denby" will work but you may need to adjust the setting to suit you. I got a 6 brand sample pack off ebay

The adjustable nature of the thing is the main reason I got one. Everyone is different, with different skin, different hair growth, different techniques, different soaps or creams - so many variations! Throw in different blades as well and the possibilities are endless...

For me, setting #3, Feather or Israeli extra-sharp blades, Col. Conk Amber, with some Bay Rum afterwards - perfection. One pass with the grain, one pass against it. One blade will last me around 2 weeks but I work from home, so often skip a day here and there. Note that I also shave my head once or twice a week, which is pretty hard on the blade.

Tricky part is around my ears, and to be honest I'll sometimes grab my old Mach3 for that area, as the Fatboy is indeed a bit fat for getting behind the ear. I don't use the Mach3 for the rest however, as I can guarantee within a week I'll have pimples and ingrowing hairs. The classic Gillette gives no such issues.

I cannot compare to other DE razors as the only other one I've had in recent memory was some cheapy thing, also pretty heavy and metal but modern and really poor quality. It sliced chunks out of me every time, regardless of what blade I used. The Fatboy was purchased almost in desperation, as I really wanted to enjoy old-fashioned wet shaving - and I do! :)

If you're only going to buy one DE razor, get an adjustable and experiment. If you're going to get an adjustable then get the grand daddy of adjustable razors, the Gillette 195 Fatboy.

Oh, and the butterfly doors make other methods look silly :)

Looks great, fantastic build quality but for me not as good a shave as any of the razors in my sig.
I find the head way oversized. To me it's just too cumbersome.
Everyone should try one though.

Beautiful razor. I've owned a few and as of last week, have sold them all. I don't think they're terrible by a long shot, They're just not quite for me. I prefer pretty much any of my other vintage Gillettes. Plus, I bought a Senator with the money from the sale of my last Fatboy. I can't wait for it to get here! Hopefully Monday!!!

Truth be told, my Fatboy is my favorite razor to look at, but least favorite to shave with. My other razors are the Slim, Progress, Kronos and Atlas.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Pretty average shaver...I have owned about a dozen of them in early 2007 before I switched to straights later that year. Iconic modern design however!

Top Bottom