What's new

The Codger Cabin

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

We start the week with a lovely "town and country" combo by Old Forester and Seven-Up.

52-9-15.4.jpg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

We start the week with a lovely "town and country" combo by Old Forester and Seven-Up.

View attachment 1795035
The vernacular has likely changed, but we used to refer to bottles as "the good stuff" and "the guest booze".

View attachment 1794075
The first time I flew commercially with my company, as a newly promoted supervisor, it was a Liberal, KS to Denver flight on a Frontier Airlines DC-6. What a comfortable flight that was. Big seats, lots of leg room, and smooth. Later, when that flight morphed into a true commuter flight in Swearingen Metroliners, I truly appreciated how great it was flying on the DC-6!

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

52-9-22.2.jpg

Robert Hall. Another one now gone that many past a certain age remember fondly. Families getting those school clothes on a budget every August, with that song. And those old TV commercials with the talking birds …

Bought an RV recently. Tires will be due replacement and replacement white walls are out of the question price wise. That tire paint should fit the bill nicely. Glad I saw that, thanks for posting!
View attachment 1794782
They also sell a whitewall bead ring that’s installed with the tire if you wanted to go that route.

Port-a-wall whitewall

Might be cheaper going that route and easier since the white will be permanent rather then the paint method

Larry

And their Amazon store lists various sizes up to 18" (which I'd need) and 19"! Might be a little wide in proportion to the sidewall, but that looks good.

Happy to help, FYI they also have vulcanized rubber tire decals that actually apply to the rubber tire that gives you the original raised white lettering that’s exact to vintage tires and also the red lines as well, and it’s glued PERMANENTLY. It’s crazy to pay Coker tire prices for cars you just want to drive and enjoy. If you were parking it to show it off at a concours show I’d understand paying that. Funny how vintage items that had disappeared require modern techniques to get them back. :blink: I’m 46, been hot ridding since 14, been apart of the cruising culture since 18, ya learn a few tricks of the trade. Just wish I had more time to fix what I have sitting on my driveway and in my garage but the wife and kids come first. :thumbup1:

Larry

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

We coast into the weekend with some more whitewall tires, and a movie camera to capture their memory ...

View attachment 1797122

View attachment 1797123
I miss when cars had body panels and glass that were curved and shaped, and not the blocky straight panels we see today.

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks

We coast into the weekend with some more whitewall tires, and a movie camera to capture their memory ...

View attachment 1797122

View attachment 1797123
I’m just thankful that for the most part, the Willys Jeep (MB), CJs, and Wranglers (YJ, JK & JL) all look similar. Just an iconic look throughout the decades.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

52-10-6.jpg

The family encyclopedia. A staple in middle America homes throughout most of the Twentieth Century. Long before the Internet, it was the average household’s main repository of general knowledge and basic research material. Just how many were sold door to door, the world may never know. Or through grocery store promotions, one volume at a time. Just about every respectable family had one. Often right alongside a big fat dictionary, in the family bookshelves.

And they were snapshots in time, too. In many retirees’ now quiet homes, one knows when the children were growing up, and the house was more alive, by the year of the encyclopedia, now sitting idle. Perhaps it was the world of 1954, when Eisenhower was President and the Cold War a daily fixture. Or of 1962, of Kennedy and the soaring space age. Or of 1978, of Jimmy Carter, tuning thermostats down, and disco. But there it sits, whether factually still right or wrong today, a snapshot of the generally believed pool of knowledge from another era. A pool from which Mom and Dad and Judy and Johnny drew often back in the day.

Once Dad stockpiled these little bound helpers, like so many sandbags against a rising sea of youthful questions, the usual answer when Johnny had some obscure question about Neanderthals, Neptune or nuclear fission was “go look it up”.

And when the World Book couldn’t get you off the spot with Johnny, Paul Jones usually could …

Top Bottom