What's new

The boy and me need to get to fishin'

I should add that our backyard is kind of small, with trees on each corner, and a cable line draped across the middle. We actually got caught (my cast) on the line, and it was quite humorous for about 10 minutes. When I set the pole down to go inside for the ladder, my son grabbed it, and had the line untangled with just a tug before I got inside. :)

I was really proud of myself for keeping a calm and patient attitude. He got really down at one point and wanted to quit (although he didn't want to put the pole away and go inside). So I explained how learning to fish is like underwear, and he cheered up and went back to casting practice!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
If you have an aversion to hooks, there's always noodlin'. But that's for catfish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Naw... just making a joke at my son's expense. I let him practice on his own in the yard yesterday while I was prepping the grill (so I could watch him, work on dinner, and not get smacked with the pole (again)). He's already improving, and I'm sure by the time we get to the water, Saturday, he'll be a-ok with a hook on the end of his line... provide he remembers the fear of God I've been driving in about how sharp they are.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Be sure and tell him that once the hook is deep in the flesh, the barb prevents it from backing out, and the way it is removed is you cut off the eye and push the hook all the way through and out. That should instill a healthy respect (or terror) for fishhooks.

Be sure and tell him that once the hook is deep in the flesh, the barb prevents it from backing out, and the way it is removed is you cut off the eye and push the hook all the way through and out. That should instill a healthy respect (or terror) for fishhooks.

Yep, I've been telling him that two or three times a day. I think he thinks we'll have to cut of HIS eye to get it out... whatever it takes!

My two sons, now adults, still remember our fishing trips. In fact, they remember things that I forgot. These moments will make you closer and will give your son invaluable lessons.

Here we go! I haven't seen him this excited since Disney World!

$uploadfromtaptalk1436623324130.jpg

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Hint... Fish right around the pilings. Fish often like to be next to or underneath something. If that doesn't get results, try the entrance to the ramp area. Try the edges of the deeper water leading into the harbor. Around sunset or sunrise if it is deserted and quiet, try fishing on top or near the top of the water. At night try fishing near areas where light shines on the water. Don't trample on the dock. Noise and vibration and also moving shadows can spook fish.

If you are kind of stuck fishing right there, try chumming. Basically, thats feeding the fish so they congregate and get in a biting mood. You can sprinkle a little dry oatmeal in the water, or punch holes in a can of creamed corn and lower it to or near the bottom, or a piece of bacon rind or salt pork rind, or a shrimp sack with a few crab shells or crawfish heads in it. Leave it overnight, if you will fish in the morning. You will catch something. Just don't leave any strings or lines where they could be tripped over or get tangled in a prop, which would of course be quite inconsiderate.

Right after or up to a few hours after somebody comes in with a mess of fish and cleans them there is a good time to try catch some catfish.

Great thread - I really enjoyed reading it and just wanted to say good on you for doing this, its good parenting!

My old man took me fishing as a kid and I remember it vividly, cant wait till my wee lad is old enough to take out.

Make sure the young fella keeps his sunglasses on, fishhooks anywhere on the body are unpleasant but a hook in the eye is bad news.

Best of luck with the future catches!

Top Bottom