What's new

Talk me out of buying an XL Big Green Egg (to go with my L)

My Costco carries the egg, comes with the wooden stand making it a bit cheaper. Maybe if you can find the right price it will be easier to go for the second grill!

I use the original woohoo from ceramic grill store. Combined with a monster pizza stone it's a nice piece of kit. I also like it for doing whole chickens away from the charcoal. I use a double decker setup. I can get 4, 8lb butts on that way. I could do 3, medium size flats with that rig too. The only way it's not sufficient enough space is for more than 4 racks of ribs. If you need more than that than you probably need a larger smoker, or just get a WSM if it's ribs you can't fit. Heck, even a second large egg could be justified.

I once knew a guy from the States whose motto was "If one is good, two must be better." I think you could apply that here.

Thanks for the links to the different gaskets. I've replaced my gaskets twice now, the first time with felt and the second time with nomex. The felt gasket was basically a joke, I had issues with air leaks, trouble maintaining a low temperature in my egg, etc. Eventually the felt separated from the adhesives and part of it burned up. I installed the nomex gasket nearly a month ago and so far I'm really liking it. I can maintain low temperatures in my Egg with out any problems. When the nomex wears out I'm going with either oven seals, or the silicone gasket.

I would just get a second Large. From what i've seen, the height from the grate to the top of the Large is the same as it is in the XL. So you aren't gaining as much area as you think, as the XL is much flatter.

And if you get a 2nd large, you can build a really nice table that will hold both and it will look symmetrical!

No. I will not talk you out of it. Not even reading what anyone else wrote. You can afford it? You want it? Do it.

:001_smile

- Jay "the enabler"

Now the wife has decided if we're going to have two BGE's, she wants to buy a bigger house with more space for entertaining...this is getting a little out of hand.

I would just get a second Large. From what i've seen, the height from the grate to the top of the Large is the same as it is in the XL. So you aren't gaining as much area as you think, as the XL is much flatter.

And if you get a 2nd large, you can build a really nice table that will hold both and it will look symmetrical!

A matched set is enviable as well as symmetrical.

I've not regretted getting the large. We pondered the same question for a while. The decision wasn't price just didn't think we needed the XL. Also have a Treager for the older kids if I'm not around and generic hamburger/hot dog weeknight grilling.

I have the large and love it. Would love the XL but can't spend the money right now. You will get no discouragement from me. Light it up dude!!

Now the wife has decided if we're going to have two BGE's, she wants to buy a bigger house with more space for entertaining...this is getting a little out of hand.

That is a great idea. While you are at it, you need a man cave outside. That is, if it doesn't already exist. A nice gazeebo(?) with your 2 grills, a fish cleaning station and fryer, small fridge, 2-4 eye gas powered stove top for the baked beans and such. Just a modest little place for you and the guys.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Just my humble 2 cents worth - but if you need extra egg space, I'd get a second large, the eggcessories you already have will fit where they won't an XL .. if you just need some basic extra grill space, a Weber 18" kettle also fits the Large BGE accouterments (sp), and is alot cheaper.

Well, now we wait. Made an offer last night, hopefully will find something out by the weekend. And not on an Egg, mind you. :001_rolle

If She gets a house, I'm definitely getting a new Egg, though Jim, et al, are correct: it will be a Large, not an XL. A nice built-in with 2 L's separated by a prep area looks too good in my mind to pass up.

Good for you, just don't ask us to talk you out of the new house. After all we are enablers by profession, or we wouldn't be here. Good luck.

Yeah, going from a BGE XL to a new house in the space of 4 days would indicate the forums are working properly. :lol:

Top Bottom