What's new

Sun protection, but at what cost?

I use Baxter's Super Shape 15 on my face as a daily moisturizer to keep the sun from damaging my face. The thing is that I have to be really careful with how I use it. My skin can get pretty oily pretty fast and that stuff isn't exactly oil-free. If I'm not careful, it can clog my skin up and cause a breakout.

Something I've noticed is that, when it comes to moisturizers, "SPF" basically means "comedogenic". The stuff that can block the sun from harming you can also screw up your complexion. Is there a men's moisturizer that has SPF but won't cause breakouts? Furthermore...is SPF even really needed?

Hi Shane, ever try Cetaphil Daily Facial Moisturizer? SPF 15 and very light non-greasy. I have some of the Baxter's my wife gave me and I much prefer the Cetaphil. My face tends to get oily as the day progresses and Baxter stuff seems to make it worse.

Cetaphil is supposed to be unfragranced (which is fine by me) but to me it actually smells a little like Elmer's Glue. :w00t:

Link

I tried a neutregena (sp?) moisturizer with SPF 15 and it smells like something my girlfriend would use. Not bad, I guess, but just not...right either.

Something I've noticed is that, when it comes to moisturizers, "SPF" basically means "comedogenic". The stuff that can block the sun from harming you can also screw up your complexion. Is there a men's moisturizer that has SPF but won't cause breakouts? Furthermore...is SPF even really needed?

There may be some confusion here. SPF is not an ingredient. It's a rating of the effectiveness of the sunscreen.

There may be some confusion here. SPF is not an ingredient. It's a rating of the effectiveness of the sunscreen.
I'm speaking in terms of all moisturizers that seem to have any kind of sun protection at all. The ones that have it have tendencies to give my skin some grief. But I'm also concerned that if I use a lotion/cream that doesn't have sun protection, I run the risk of sun damage.

I see your point. Perhaps you need to look closely at the label and determine if there is a common sunscreen ingredient that is causing you grief, and then find a lotion with an alternate.

Naturally it's not necessary for your moisturizer to have a SPF rating. But that still leaves the question of the necessity of a sunscreen. Maybe you need to separate the two things, moisturizing and sun protection.

I have tried Aveeno and Neutrogena and found them to be too thick (did not absorb well) and did not like the floral scent I wound up with Eucerin Extra Protective Moisture Lotion (SPF 30!) which is formulated for the face. It's thin, not oily and scent is light.

I posted earlier about this, and the best moisturizer with sunscreen is Zirh Defend. I have combination skin, and have tried many different brand of lotion with spf, and this is the only one I've come across that does leave me feeling greasy later in the day. It has a nice citric sent, and contains hyalauronic acid. It's not the cheapest product around, but it is effective for me. As always YMMV.

I posted earlier about this, and the best moisturizer with sunscreen is Zirh Defend. I have combination skin, and have tried many different brand of lotion with spf, and this is the only one I've come across that does leave me feeling greasy later in the day. It has a nice citric sent, and contains hyalauronic acid. It's not the cheapest product around, but it is effective for me. As always YMMV.

I have the Zirh, wife found a few tubes at Marshall's for about $5 each. I keep one in my Dopp. I find this too be a little too heavy for most days; however, on days I need more moisturizing over what the Cetaphil provides, I reach for the Zirh. I like the scent. Pricey though, like you mentioned.

This sunscreen was recommended to me by my dermatologist when I went to him for acne.
http://www.durascreen-usa.com/ I break out with a lot of stuff and this doesn't break me out. I rarely use sunscreen, but when I do, I have no fear of my pores getting blocked. It is SPF 30 and advertised as lasts all day. It soaks in really fast and doesn't leave me feeling greasy like all other sunscreens I have tried. I think you can get this at CVS or Walgreens.

PS. I only use a sunscreen when I am going to be out in the sun for a very long time because I feel these chemicals have a better chance of giving cancer than the sun.

Kiss My Face- Face Factor SPF 30 This stuff is fantastic! Absorbs right away, matte finish, moisturizes, and has anti-aging stuff too.

I've had good results with LAB Series Daily Moisture Defense Lotion with SPF15.

It is lightweight, moisturizes without feeling oily and has a very mild scent.

You should pick up a sample at Nordstrom, Macy's or Sephora and give it a try.

The Olay Complete Sensitive Skin works well and has SPF. It does not make me feel greasy, but if your skin gets oily (and presumably you are not wearing makeup powder) you could always blot with a napkin halfway through the day.

Try it, works wonders.

Regards.

J

The Olay Complete Sensitive Skin works well and has SPF. It does not make me feel greasy, but if your skin gets oily (and presumably you are not wearing makeup powder) you could always blot with a napkin halfway through the day.

Try it, works wonders.

Regards.

J

Thanks J.
I wonder why so many of these products have so many chemicals in them like this one. At least this one doesn't have parabens, but it has paraffin.

Don't know if this is true or not, but I was told that polyacrylamide like in this formula can degrade under normal environmental conditions, releasing acrylamide, a known nerve toxin.

Water , Glycerin , Isohexadecane , Polyacrylamide , C13-14 Isoparaffin , Laureth-7 , Cyclopentasiloxane , PEG/PPG-20/20 Dimethicone , Steareth-21 , Stearyl Alcohol , Sucrose Polycottonseedate , Behenyl Alcohol , Tocopheryl Acetate , Cetyl Alcohol , DMDM Hydantoin , Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate , Steareth-2 , Disodiium EDTA , Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice , Oleth-3-Phosphate.

Top Bottom