What's new

suits redux

Does anyone have any experience with Lands End suits? I haven't been impressed with the ones I've seen; the fabric seemed very coarse. I'm wondering about those compared to the Jos A Bank trios that have been recommended in another thread. FWIW, I'm a manager of financial planning and analysis for a Dow 30 company. I need suits that travel well since I'm usually in Europe one week per month. Thanks for any insights you may have.

I don't own any Bank or Lands End suits. However, fo the money, it might be worth a trip up the road to Boston to get a suit at Filene's basement (original, not chain). You can get great name suits for similar prices.

As for travelling, I can offer some bits of advice:

1. Don't get a superfine material or a summer-weight. A heaver weight or winter-weight suit will wrinkle less. A poly blend is your best bet to prevent wrinkles, but the potential that someone might notice you and judge you on it is too great of a risk.

2. Don't sweat the wrinkles or travelling. The best choice is to get there a day early, go to the hotel concierge, and say "Can you have my suit steamed, please." Problem solved. A lot of hotels in Europe will also have trouser presses in the room, so take advantage.

Does anyone have any experience with Lands End suits? I haven't been impressed with the ones I've seen; the fabric seemed very coarse. I'm wondering about those compared to the Jos A Bank trios that have been recommended in another thread. FWIW, I'm a manager of financial planning and analysis for a Dow 30 company. I need suits that travel well since I'm usually in Europe one week per month. Thanks for any insights you may have.

About two years ago, I bought one of their $200 suits. This is kind of strange: I really like the suit and I get a lot of compliments on it, but I don't think I'd buy another one. I have no idea why. :confused:

Tim

Bob,

I hate to sound snobbish, but cheaper suits are not the way to go. IMHO, those Jos. A Bank trios are not of good quality. Now I am not advocating that you go buy multi-thousand dollar custom made suits either. From what I understand in your post, you sound like you are wearing a suit frequently. Further you also work for a prestigous company, and are travelling frequently to Europe where some of the best suits in the world are made. I think it is a sound investment to get a higher end suit. First of all, it will last longer. Secondly, believe it or not, they will actually fit better. Nicer suits are cut better and have nice lines to then, whereas many times cheaper suits are not very flattering. Also, I think a lot of business people know when you have a good suit on versus a cheap(er) one. There are many good suits to be found, and previous advice in going to Filene's basement is good because they get nice suits from good clothiers and offer them at good prices. Plus if you get the standard issue charcoal gray, black or blue, you can wear them a few times a week if need be and no one will be the wiser when you change up your shirt and tie combo.

Good luck!

I would recommend going to any major department store and getting a Hart Schaffner and Marx suit. The are excellent quality suits at reasonable prices when on sale.

I'm wondering about those compared to the Jos A Bank trios that have been recommended in another thread. FWIW, I'm a manager of financial planning and analysis for a Dow 30 company. I need suits that travel well since I'm usually in Europe one week per month. Thanks for any insights you may have.

I like to own a range of suits. I have one or two really nice ones for special occassions or really important meetings plus 3-4 "working" suits.

My working suits are for travel or anytime I think they might get lost in transit. I wear them when I need to be presentable for internal meetings, but don't want to overdress.

In the past, my working suits have been Bank Executive or Trios. They aren't as nice, but I can get a year or two out of them. Next time around, I'm going to try one of their Traveler suit separates.

By the way... if you haven't tried their Traveler dress shirts... those are WONDERFUL for being on the road. They aren't really wrinkle free, but usually a light ironing touch up and they are good to go.

I own three Land's End suits and have been very pleased with them. I generally can wear off-the-rack suits and the Land's End ones fit me quite well. Before my office went business casual, I wore them daily and they have held up well (I did order two pairs of pants with each suit coat).

Now I have never owned or even worn a higher end suit, so I can't speak to how they might compare. Clothes are just one of those things I have never been willing to spend much money on. But for the money (and the fact that I can order them online and be confident in the fit and quality), I really like them.

Aaron

Top Bottom