What's new

Strops and draw

Has anyone objective thoughts on strop draw and final edge? I have three strops, all with linen. The Red Imp is very old and the leather is so polished it has very little draw feel at all. But the linen is heavy and firehose-like in feel. Lot of draw there.The second strop is a newish Ezra Arthur Bridle leather which has a medium light draw feel to the leather, a 3 incher so easy to use. The third is a 3 inch shell cordovan and has virtually no draw at all. All three strops give a good edge and to cover my bases I use them in a progression of Imp to cordovan. Has anyone tied draw feel to edge? Thanks.

Has anyone tied draw feel to edge? Thanks.

At times kinda but I feel like it's in my head. I do prefer a little draw as opposed to a slicker strop but I enjoy the different draws as a change of pace rather than having an advantage in edge.

I have three leather strop that I use regularly. Best I can tell, they all get me to the same place but maybe not with the same number of strokes? Or, it could be that I can feel the feedback better on one over another. I have a piece of veg tanned steerhide that I made into a strop, it is pretty smooth but with a little more draw than you'd expect and that strop seems very effective. You can feel everything and you can feel when the blade is "done." I also have two of Tony Miller's horsehides, one smooth and one roughout. The smooth one feels amazing to strop on but the feedback is harder for me to read.

I definitely don't like bridle or latigo leather. I just don't feel like the strop it's doing much (not scientific by any means, and no evidence--just feel).

I like the heavier draw of horse hide. It feels like it's working the blade more and you feel a real difference when varying pressure

Edited to say my horse hide strop is from razor Emporium

Last edited:
I have a Tony Miller horsehide and a Kanayama shell. The TM has a linen strop and the Kanayama a coarser fabric, almost like a thick weave cotton or hemp.

I like to use both strops together. Off the stones, I strop Kanayama cotton then TM linen (coarser to smoother), then for the leather I go horsehide with more draw to the slick shell. This is completely unscientific, but it feels like a natural progression, and it makes me happy...

Top Bottom