What's new

Strop question for vintage experts.

I had my first vintage strop this weekend, via my box of razors i was lucky enough to get, its a roma, and has a seprate linen strop on the back, well during cleaning it up the strop came apart at both the hanging end, and the holding end, thats no problem as i can sort that out as the strop/linen is undamaged, just the leather wrap around just sort of perished, so i got the linen side cleaned up, and also finished cleaning the leather side up and it looks good, but what i did notice was, that the back of the leather strop is exactly the same as the side that has been used, but for the reason its been unused, in perfect condition, the used side of the strop is also very usable, but seeing that the back has been unused i was wondering if its possible to use this side when i put it back together, or shall i stick to the proven used side?

I am not an expert on strops but it might be possible that one side of the strop is the pasted side and the inside part that looks so good is the finish side... then of course you would finish it up on the linen strop. But as I said I am not an expert so this is only speculation on my part.

Yeah you can use it just fine.I even use the untreated side of shell hided strops.It hasen't hurt any of my blades.

then of course you would finish it up on the linen strop.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that the linen side is not for finishing.
Conversely, you must use the linen side before the leather side, and the linen is
used only to correct the edge when it needs touch ups. Of course honing is the
best remedy for a slightly dulled edge, but anyway.

best of luck.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that the linen side is not for finishing.
Conversely, you must use the linen side before the leather side, and the linen is
used only to correct the edge when it needs touch ups. Of course honing is the
best remedy for a slightly dulled edge, but anyway.

best of luck.

Oh my, I did goof :tongue_sm I meant to say "finish up with the linen if needed then leather strop. Thank you for catching that and bringing it to my attention. :thumbup1:

Oh my, I did goof :tongue_sm I meant to say "finish up with the linen if needed then leather strop. Thank you for catching that and bringing it to my attention. :thumbup1:

No problemo Blue58, I actually had a feeling that it was just a typo.:lol:

Take care.

Top Bottom