What's new

Strop has a glazed/iced surface

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
That would be my Kanayama strop...

2 days ago I realized that I had a problem when the leather didn't drag at all... I didn't change anything in my routine.

I've been using my Kanayama 30000 for ~3 months now on a daily basis. I usually strop 1 razor per day, sometimes, 2 or 3 if I refresh the edge on 2 or 3 of them...

The usual routine consists of warming the leather with the palm of my hand for 15-20 seconds. I then strop and the leather has a lot of drag, comparable to latigo.

For the past 2 days, I do the same and it feels like sliding the edge on ice. I have zero drag on the leather which I find strange, it happened overnight. So, I remembered that I'm supposed to take a clean shirt, I need to wet it, twist it until it's damp and do a one pass/motion over the leather to clean it. Repeat as necessary. I tried that a dozen time. It's a tiny bit better but I still don't have any drag. I'm a bit afraid that I might slip and cut the strop while stropping. I was thinking that someone else who have the same strop probably had this type of issue... Any suggestions?

I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble. Did you try contacting Jim? He may know something that might help..

Luc

Staff member
Yes, he will check if we can do something else, I have nothing to complain about on that side. I did a few damp passes and it's a bit better but not back to what it was... Yet...

In the suggestions I've found on the net so far, there was, using a super high grit (>2000) to do a quick sand on the strop or use a hone. This will leave scratches. I don't mind but if I can avoid them, I will, that's my last resort.

There's applying a leather conditioner. That would be my next step if I don't get anything back from the damp clothe.

I'll do this slowly and wait for some more input before I do anything.

I have the same strop and no problems . I would try a tallow based soap before resorting to sand paper.

I would NOT recommend sanding a Kanayama strop.
You should never be in need for that with your super luxurios strop!

Kanayama Cordovan tends to be very smooth and even a little slick.
It may be called waxy with very little draw. That´s the way cordovan feels.

If you want to improve the draw of your strop, try rubbing your unwashed but clean hands over the strops vigorously before stropping.
This usually does the trick.

If you´re still not satisfied use some Oil.
Be very, very carefull and use only a few drops.
Put them on your hand and rub it in your palms.
Then rub your palms over the strop evenly.

You can use Ballistol, Neatsfoot Oil or similar leather oils

A glazy/icy surface on leather strops is nothing I am concerned about.
Au contraire, in Germany we have saying that goes "Leder muss speckig sein".
That means the leather is smoothest and works best for our purpose if it looks greasy (LOOKS, not is!)

My Kanayama, like all of my non velvety strops looks glazed

Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
I didn't sand the strop. I always rub the palm of my hand before stropping... I lost the "draw" effect in the last few days... I'll wait for Jim to get back to me before I do anything... I was wondering if someone had the same type of issues.

When I got my Kanayamara the instructions said to do nothing to the strop. No conditioners of any kind. Just use it. I've had mine for a couple of years now and it's been fine. Over time any strop will develope a polish to it from use. I think the more you mess with it the more issues you'll have.

Luc

Staff member
Any update, Luc?

Yes, I could post one.

I did not sand the strop (many will go, yay!). I repeated the method of using a damp clean rag without much success. I finally ended up buffing some leather conditioner in the strop (a pea size worth) for half an hour. I let it dry and now, the drag is not 100% like before but It's not an ice rink anymore!

Top Bottom