What's new

Strop Advise.

I am in the market for a new strop, I have owned a few and lets say I am bit septical with spending more money and getting something I have work on to make work. I am Looking at the Dovo's, Razor Emporium, Kanoyama mid level. I am leaning on getting another modular strop for obvious reason, yet I have had the worst luck with getting a true ready to use strop. The one I got in the past was purchased from a retailer who will go nameless, but it was folded in the box and was all wrinkled and were unwilling to do anything. I did buy a replacement english bridal segment that was hard as a brick. Sorry when you spend premium money I expect a quality product, not something that takes weeks to make it functional. I currently have a lower quality strop which does fine but I would like to get something a bit nicer. It is truly sad when I can go to a department store and see belts that would make a fanatic strop yet I can seem to find the similar quality in a commercially sold stop. I have seen the Dovo's AOS has but they are comically small, yet the leather feels amazing, any info or shared experience would be great!

You can't go wrong with a Kanayama. I have three of them along with a 1/2 dozen others that I don't use anymore except for kitchen knives. You will not regret a Kanayama.

I love my Kanoyama too, but I love it more on certain blades. I think it is unbeatable on full hollow blades (especially Japanese razors), but I prefer to strop heavier grinds on other strops.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I've tried quite a few different strops and settled in on a Kanayama 60k paired with a piece of TM genuine linen. I like the kanayama canvas a lot but I prefer the feel of the linen.

I have lots of strops ( Kanayama, Tony Miller, Scruppleworks ) and like all of them, it honestly depends what your budget is and what you are looking for in a strop like barber ends, handles, components that are replacable, width etc...

I finally am down to my last Kanayama 70000 as I have sold off several and will never be without one, the process that they use on cordovan is very different, Tony Miller is superb and the attention to detail that he gives to his work is top notch, Torolf at Scruppleworks strops are beautiful but components are all sewn so you can't replace part of the strop if say you cut the leather, I am in the process of doing some end of year cleaning so more than likely will list one or more for sale soon but if you are wanting one now you cannot go wrong with any of the ones I and others have mentiond, Tony Miller has some "Budget" strops listed now and even though I have never seen one I can guarantee thay will be beautiful, Aframes also has Kanayama in stock and several models to choose from, Torolf with Scruppleworks will have to be ordered as they are made as ordered I believe.

Top Bottom