What's new

Sterling silver restoration help

I just received my sterling silver brush and began to remove the silver tip knot and noticed that the inside of the brush was filled with an amber material which I was able to remove. It appears that the entire handle is hollow and filled with this material?? I'm looking for advise on what to do when I receive my badger knot form (TGN) to install into this unit. Should I continue to remove the amber material and refill the area back with this material to a height where the knot will sit perfect or just add epoxy to the amber material to make up the height difference in the cavity prior to installing the knot. By the way does anyone know what amber material is used in this process??

I always do the least I can under the assumption that I'll break something if I do too much, so I'd keep the amber material in place and, if it is stable, back fill with epoxy. The amber material? I've had brushes that were filled with catalin. The phenolic smell was unmistakable.

Hi, I would agree with your assessment considering if I continue i will have an empty handle. Should I try and fill the cavity with epoxy first to the height of the knot let it cure then install the knot with additional epoxy or just do it in one effort??

Hi, I would agree with your assessment considering if I continue i will have an empty handle. Should I try and fill the cavity with epoxy first to the height of the knot let it cure then install the knot with additional epoxy or just do it in one effort??

I would do it as a two-stage process. Fill the void in the handle with epoxy to the loft level you like, let it set (shouldn't need more than a couple of hours if you're using a fast setting epoxy), and then install the knot with a light coating of epoxy.

Great, I'll begin the process as suggested and let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks for all of your help

Top Bottom