What's new

Steampunk Straight Razor Scales Part 2: Griffon Carbo - Magnetic Blade

I just finished my 3rd set of scales (2 of which are steampunk-themed). This time I decided not to etch anything into the brass. I used a thicker piece of metal and dimpled the surface with my ballpeen hammer. I countersunk a concoction of gears into one side and put a brass ring around it and then filled the opening with clear epoxy. On the other side I just pinned a few more gears into place. I triple-stacked the pins to give the scales some added depth and also with the desire to protect the "gear" areas if you wanted to travel with the razor.

The spacer is the same as my first steampunk razor: paduak hardwood sanwiched between brass.

I antiqued the copper by exposing it to amonia mixed with table salt.

The finish is a oil-based polyurethane with a final coat of Renaissance wax.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

This is one of the most amazing sets of photos I've seen on B&B. I'm actually not sure how to congratulate you on this, except to say that I'm pretty much speechless. And I'm not even a straight razor guy!

A great big *slap* on the back to you!!!!

That is truly outstanding work!!!!

When will they go into production?? :thumbup1:

- Morten

Wow, thanks guys! I wasn't sure if anyone would like them. I'm pretty stunned.

Craig87c:
The wife got me a Sony Cybershot Hx9v for my 40th this month. Its my first "real" camera. I made a "light box" which is basically a cardboard box with the top and sides cut out. I taped a white sheet over those cutouts and had a desk lamp shining through each one. I took 126 pics to come up with those 5! I'm no photographer.

dfennewald:
Here is a link to a larger file if you want to use that pic as wallpaper.

Last edited:
F-in' beautiful. And like Craig, I'm not a straight razor guy, either. Congrats on some beautiful work!

My brother's wedding next summer is a steampunk themed wedding...so this is sweet...I may have to commission one from you as a gift. How cool would that be? Maybe I'll give him a steampunk shave the morning of his wedding. That would be pretty awesome.

My brother's wedding next summer is a steampunk themed wedding...so this is sweet...I may have to commission one from you as a gift. How cool would that be? Maybe I'll give him a steampunk shave the morning of his wedding. That would be pretty awesome.

I'd be glad to! What a great idea.
I'll send a PM.

Superb, amazing, artistic, creative, innovative, theme based, and aesthetically pleasing. Man you hit a grand slam to say the least. I am totally blown away! :thumbup: I have yet to make a set of scales and you have set the bar very high. Just making a set of plain old scales I'll feel like I'll be attempting a six foot high jump and you are pole vaulting at the 20' foot mark. I am humbled by your creative efforts. The photo's are well done too. Congratulation on a beautiful project. That first photo looks like it belongs in a scene of an H.G. Wells Time Machine movie. Now if I could just go back in time....... The possibility's are endless. Thanks for the eye candy and the creative inspiration. :biggrin1:

Legion

Staff member
Nice! I like this one even more than the first!

What is that pistol in the first picture, just to hijack?

Its an East India Government (under British control) percussion heave dragoon pistol. It was made in England in 1864. Revolvers had been developed by then, but the British didn't like their subjected nations to have the most up to date technology in case they rebelled.

proxy.php

Last edited:
I'm using your first photo as wallpaper and quite enjoying it. I was also wondering if you used 3 washers in the stack on the carbo magnetic? I'm going to try and resurrect the original horn scales on my W&B. I have the two size #0 wide and normal washers from microfasteners. What is the 3rd washer size? Very nice look.

Top Bottom