What's new

St. Michael The Arch Angel, "The Miracle on 34th Street"

For 153 years, providing a place of worship in New York City, on busy West 34th Street, near Macy's and Penn Station, is this jewel of Church Architecture.

The last photos show the Church after Mass, and the stained glass over on of the doors on the main entrance. It reads, in Latin, "Te Deum Laudamus" and can be rendered as "We praise thee, O God" into English.

Very cool.

Reminds me of St. Louis in New Orleans for some reason. The space itself around the altar.

Pax tecum

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Very beautiful Church!!! :thumbup:

Kind of reminds me of a Catholic Church (the Madonna of the Black Mountains), in Lketniva, Kosovo (Beati Pacifici).

And for the Catholic faith in me.."Dominus Vobiscum...Omnia vincit Amor...In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Santi".

Christopher :badger:

Last edited:

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
That is nice. I really like the one in Washington, DC too (of course, I forgot the name).
Matthew:
I beleive the Catholic Church you are referring to is the The Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception and is the largest Roman Catholic church in the United States and North America. :biggrin1:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
I'm not Catholic, but I adore Catholic churches from an architectural standpoint more than any other. These are some breathtaking photos. Thanks for sharing, everyone.

Matthew:
I beleive the Catholic Church you are referring to is the The Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception and is the largest Roman Catholic church in the United States and North America. :biggrin1:

Yup, that is the one. Thank you. I have been there once and was amazed. I really like the Jesus they have painted on the ceiling.

The pictures do not do it justice. There are several side rooms with statues and candles. It is just breathtaking.

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Yup, that is the one. Thank you. I have been there once and was amazed. I really like the Jesus they have painted on the ceiling. The pictures do not do it justice. There are several side rooms with statues and candles. It is just breathtaking.
You are right Matthew..it is truly a beautiful and amazing Church to see, visit and/or attend Mass...simply breath taking.

The only Catholic Church to 'top-it' (and one to pilgrimage to, a must see and a wonder to behold),...is Saint Peter's Basilica in Rome, Italy (Vatican City State). :biggrin1:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Yup, that is the one. Thank you. I have been there once and was amazed. I really like the Jesus they have painted on the ceiling.

The pictures do not do it justice. There are several side rooms with statues and candles. It is just breathtaking.

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

I have old photos taken with film of the Basilica in DC. If I can find them, I will scan and post.

Matt, the image of Christ that I think you're referring to is the image on the back of the Altar. It is known as Christos Pantokrator, and for those that have been in the Church, His eyes are always on you.

proxy.php

proxy.php

The only Catholic Church to 'top-it' (and one to pilgrimage to, a must see and a wonder to behold),...is Saint Peter's Basilica in Rome, Italy (Vatican City State). :biggrin1:

I had a trip planned there to attend Mass on the Epiphany. I even have the tickets and everything, but alas, the trip fell through for various reasons :glare:

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

I have old photos taken with film of the Basilica in DC. If I can find them, I will scan and post.

Matt, the image of Christ that I think you're referring to is the image on the back of the Altar. It is known as Christos Pantokrator, and for those that have been in the Church, His eyes are always on you.

That image of Jesus is more Eastern style than Western style, which I think accounts for me remembering it so well. Rarely do we ever see pictures of Jesus like that here.

Top Bottom