What's new

Squirrel Be Gone

My Wife purchased the owl on the left about three weeks ago. I move him around occasionally. No effect on our squirrels. They are still running around like crazy.

I bought the Squirrel Buster mini from Lowes. They also carry the larger version.

It seems that link is being hijacked.

Try this from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Brome-1055-Sq...36&sr=8-7&keywords=brome+squirrel+buster+plus

....a new bird early evening, it was a titmouse. He is really cool.

Brome makes some really good feeders. I have the Classic, the Mini, and the Peanut holder.

All are spring loaded, and a few are adjustable for weight. They can be easily disassembled for cleaning; this is important. You have to clean your feeders regularly. Seed dust, combined with rain or even dew forms a paste that can quickly start to mold. If the birds suddenly stop coming to your feeders, clean them.

Wash your hands thoroughly after handling any feeder. While birds are generally clean creatures, they do get sick and some carry parasites. Keep yourself safe.

Don

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Brome makes some really good feeders. I have the Classic, the Mini, and the Peanut holder.

All are spring loaded, and a few are adjustable for weight. They can be easily disassembled for cleaning; this is important. You have to clean your feeders regularly. Seed dust, combined with rain or even dew forms a pasted that can quickly start to mold. If the birds suddenly stop coming to your feeders, clean them.

Wash your hands thoroughly after handling any feeder. While birds are generally clean creatures, they do get sick and some carry parasites. Keep yourself safe.

Don

Don,

Thanks for the info.

I wrote an email to Brome Bird Care who makes the Squirrel Buster Mini. I mentioned that the feeder was well made but it my opinion needed a simple modification so the seed tray would not "stick" on a weld as it was moving up or down. I told them my modification worked perfectly and that I really liked the feeder. The customer care manager wrote me back and wanted me to call her so we may discuss the problem. I called her and she told me that they had made an upgrade to the mini called the "standard." I was told the "Standard" model incorporated my mods.

She is mailing me a free Squirrel Buster Standard model for my review.:thumbup:

Since installing the new feeder I've see these birds:
Oh, and the squirrels gave up.

Black-capped Chickadee
$Black-capped_Chickadee_in_the_Rain.jpg

Black-creasted Tufted Titmouse
$Black-crestedTitmouse.jpg

Red Finch
$hofi_gl_l.jpg
Lessor Goldenfinch
$legophoto.jpg

Cardinal
$Northern_Cardinal_page_image.jpg

Last edited:
The "red" finch is the house finch. It is an introduced species released in New York around 1940, and its range has been expanding explosively ever since.

That was really nice of Brome to contact you, Aaron. I've been pretty happy with all of their feeders.

Don

P.S.- Squirrels are still jerks.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Well my free Squirrel Buster Feeder came in the mail today. I started this thread off with a different idea but it's led me to this:

$IMG_1012[1].jpg

So far the original mini version works great, with of course, my simple modification. The newer "standard" model has an adjustment feature that allow you to adjust the tension on the main spring. I've got it set for pretty light. Well see how it works.

The newer "standard" model has an adjustment feature that allow you to adjust the tension on the main spring. I've got it set for pretty light. Well see how it works.

Don't ask me how it happens, because I don't have an answer yet, but you can set the spring tension very heavy when you fill the feeder, and all that spring tension will be gone when it comes time to refill it. It's probably a combination of wind and bird movement off the perches that results in a cumulative, un-screwing effect. I always have to reset the spring tension on my Bromes after filling them.

I've pretty much bested all the squirrels in my yard. They are now relegated to clean-up duties from seeds dropped by the birds, and forlornly climbing a pole only to run into a squirrel baffle.

The crows are now proving to be a more crafty and innovative opponent.

Don

Don't ask me how it happens, because I don't have an answer yet, but you can set the spring tension very heavy when you fill the feeder, and all that spring tension will be gone when it comes time to refill it. It's probably a combination of wind and bird movement off the perches that results in a cumulative, un-screwing effect. I always have to reset the spring tension on my Bromes after filling them.

I've pretty much bested all the squirrels in my yard. They are now relegated to clean-up duties from seeds dropped by the birds, and forlornly climbing a pole only to run into a squirrel baffle.

The crows are now proving to be a more crafty and innovative opponent.

Don
Crows are birds, too, and very interesting. I don't consider them opponents. My rule of thumb: Rodents, no; Birds, yes

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

Don

This is what I'm seeing too. As soon as I put the feeder out a squirrel attacked it. It closed shut as designed. He kept crawling around and around and around. He gave up to the ground fodder.

I'm going to give that feeder a try. Thanks for the information. I like to use sunflower seeds for the Cardinals but we get Mockingbirds, Bluejays, Morning doves and others that like those. And Squirrels, and Palm rats Grrrr .

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The dove don't like the small feeder but they are relentless. Some dove are lighter and won't make the shroud completely close. I'm going to reset the spring to lightest tomorrow.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I'm going to give that feeder a try. Thanks for the information. I like to use sunflower seeds for the Cardinals but we get Mockingbirds, Bluejays, Morning doves and others that like those. And Squirrels, and Palm rats Grrrr .

Buy the "standard" version not the mini.

Top Bottom