What's new

Speaking of speakeasies...

Has anyone here ever been to the 21 club in NYC? I had the pleasure of going there years ago for a friend's 21st. That has got to be one of the coolest places on earth. We got to have dinner in the 'hidden' wine cellar dug out of the basement during the prohibition days. Neat place!

Joe

Has anyone here ever been to the 21 club in NYC? I had the pleasure of going there years ago for a friend's 21st. That has got to be one of the coolest places on earth. We got to have dinner in the 'hidden' wine cellar dug out of the basement during the prohibition days. Neat place!

Joe

That does sound really cool. I would love to see some of the old real speakeasies. Such interesting places with fascinating histories. :thumbup1:

Joe

There is a place similar to that on the south side of Chicago: Tommy Guns Garage. It is one of those dinner/theatre places sort of similar to Medival Times. I've never been there (wanted to though), but supposedly, you call and make a reservation and they give you a password. The place isn't exactly in one of the best neighborhoods in chicago and you have to go to the back door, down this dark alley. A woman I knew took her mother there via cab, when they got to the place the cabbie asked if they were sure they wanted to get off there, being concerned for two women alone in that neighborhood. Supposedly it is alot of fun, they even occassionally have "police raids" on the speakeasy. I wish I could have gone while I lived in the Chicago area.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
For a long time, the 21 Club had a $21 hamburger. Now, of course, the burger is much more.

A famous 21 Club story is when Cary Grant asked for, and received, a peanut butter sandwich for dinner.

TEMPLE BAR NYC... to see is to luv it,,, no name outside and the green lamps indicate whether its open or not... Also Ive been the doorman for the last 10 years ,,, come see me guys and refer to B&B Ill treat yall kindly...
Ohh and my avitar is the only indication of the place.. Its a prehistoric cameleon and its on the wall outside almost 4 feet high

With the statewide smoking ban in place in Ohio, I'm hoping that the "speakeasy" culture reignites. I don't smoke, but I'd prefer the culture of a bar who'd allow it, the law be damned.

Top Bottom