What's new

Souplex Owners Club

Mine just came today. The handle has a lot of plate lose, but the head is in near perfect condition.

336532283_778377483799205_4572334460889042397_n.jpg

Here are my pictures of my Souplex. My handle is hollow and I may have put up too many pictures but I am super impressed in the shape that it is in, like super impressed. I cleaned the case (was not much to clean plus disinfected it with rubbing alcohol like with all the razor), there was some stuff in between the teeth (got those out), some stains on top of the guard (got them off with a polish cloth) and yea here you go. The handle, very little plate lose, there is like a small place here and there but honestly not much at all. A Souplex across the pond, it has found a home.

20230316_220604.jpg
20230316_220330.jpg
20230316_220237.jpg

Razor: Souplex Hollow Handle
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson Sword Indian (2)
Brush: English Badger 'New Forest'
Cream: Palmolive Classic
AS: Boots Freshwood Balm
IMG_20220529_210720832.jpg

I loaded up the Souplex with an Indian Gillette Wilkinson Sword blade on it's second trip. I have a lot, and I am trying to make a dent in the stockpile. I found a single unused Personna X-Series which I forgot I had and pictured it above, but I thought better of it. To me the X blade is a lovely smooth shaver, so I continue to hoard it, rather mindlessly.

The GWS went in instead. It was my first blade and have since found better, but recently revisited it and found to my pleasant surprise that its a very nice stainless steel offering good for about 3-4 shaves max. Still ridiculously good value. Lets see how it performs in the Souplex.

I had about 3 days growth to down, so I got a nice wettish face lather going, the whiskers felt coarse, grungy and unpleasant, so I made sure to work the lather for a couple of minutes on my face.
First pass WTG was a smooth and uneventful affair. I had used the blade in a 195 a few days before on setting 7 and this first pass felt significantly more efficient upon inspection.

Second pass XTG was again, clinical and highly efficient. In fact with a slight modification of strokes and more of a hybrid XTG/ATG pattern, I could have very, very happily finished there and then. The Souplex seems to like the company of this humble blade.
Third pass ATG was a joy, the Souplex is such a quietly wonderful performer! Nippy, with an incredibly thin end cap, able to get into the tighest corners under nose, light and manoeverable and beautifully efficient. A Tech like shave with an OC. Great stuff!

The Souplex performed wonderfully well with the no-frills GWS blade, in fact one of the best shaves I have ever got from the brand. I did my part by creating a very nice lather, if I say so myself.

A shockingly smooth face which should do me for over 24 hrs without having to think of another shave.

I really love this razor!

Because of your glowing endorsement @Alum Ladd , I will be a Big Ben/Souplex owner in a few weeks!
Well, my wise chum @lasta I do not want to "overhype" a little - known razor which I find just efficient and charming, YMMV and all that.

From my shaves I experience the Souplex as a lovely combination of Gillette Old (thin cap) meets Gillette Tech.

I find that fun.

Razor: Souplex

Blade: Polsilver (4)
Preshave: Razor Emporium PreShave
Soap: Areffa, The Unforgiven
Aftershave: King R Emporium After Shave
PAA King R Star Jelly Aftersave: On neck area (neck is more prone to irritation) and 10 minutes after using splash on face

Very happy post shave feel, DFS+/BBS, 3 pass shave, WTG, XTG, ATG. No cuts, no weepers, First time using this razor weighs all of 27 grams, very nimble, very efficient and smooth, I am really impressed, like really with 5 day plus growth. Just a wow. 10/10

I can add more, like I usually shave with heavier razors as I enjoy the weight but yea I am impressed by this, seriously I thought the handle would be too small and light, I have a Timeless Crown on the way to add to my handles so I thought this shave would not be as good, nope, quite good. It was a touch of a pain to get this especially paying 40 quid for shipping but its ok, outstanding razor.

20230327_201347.jpg

From yesterday, 4/20/2023

Razor: Souplex

Blade: Nacet
Preshave: PAA The Cube
Soap: TOBS Sandalwood
Aftershave: Tobs Sandalwood Splash and Tobs Sandalwood Cream (on neck area, more prone to irritation and 10 minutes after using splash on face)

Its vintage month so I used some very not so well known (Souplex) and very well known products (Tobs Sandalwood soap, aftershave and balm), Nacet blade, PAA Cube.

First time using Nacet, its a very good blade to me. Sharp, smooth, it went well with this razor.

Overall, terrific shave on 4 days growth, very happy, no cuts, weepers, nick, irritation. This was a WTG, DTG with touch ups, ATG and I got a DFS+/BBS, very happy with it.

20230420_195038.jpg

I found mine at a Flea Market today. I was shopping for razors and this one seemed nice enough. Is this Chrome?

I never heard of a Souplex until I picked this one up.
I tried it with a Feather that had a few shaves on it. I wasn't impressed. I'll give it another try with a new blade.

Thanks for having me in this rather exclusive club.

IMG_8176.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8179.jpeg
    IMG_8179.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8177.jpeg
    IMG_8177.jpeg
    970.4 KB · Views: 6
I found mine at a Flea Market today. I was shopping for razors and this one seemed nice enough. Is this Chrome?

I never heard of a Souplex until I picked this one up.
I tried it with a Feather that had a few shaves on it. I wasn't impressed. I'll give it another try with a new blade.

Thanks for having me in this rather exclusive club.

View attachment 1712768
Yes it's brass with a very nice chrome finish. It's a handsome razor. A very nice and clean example you bagged there.

It shaves very much like an Old I think but I find it incredibly smooth. It has a Tech-like manoeverabilty. It's probably my most efficient razor and by far my favourite OC. I can get a near BBS with 2 passes on a 3-4 day growth on my ageing and blade dulling whiskers. OCD always forces me to that 3rd ATG pass. I'm usually good for 20 hrs after that.

I would encourage you to run a few blades through it. It likes Nacets GSB's and Platinums, but it's pretty tolerant of all decent blades. It likes steep.

Have fun, it will reward you!

Last edited:
Hello all
Finally got round to registering on Badger and Blade. Have looked on here for a while.
I have 3 Souplex OC’s (two solid and one hollow handle). 1 is absolutely mint in a small Bakelite box with a pack of double six blades.
Excellent little razor. I love the super thin head design and the great shave it delivers. Why is it so good? Looks like nothing special but it’s one of the top three in my modest razor collection.
I’ve used BIC’s, Nacets, Astras and Feathers in mine. Nacets nice and smooth for me with minimal sting from the alum.
Will post some pics soon.

As promised here’s my Souplex selection.
The first one (without case) I found in a really nasty looking and smelling grooming kit. Not sure what sort of grooming it was used for….my nose suggested small dogs that liked Old
IMG_5722.jpeg
Holborn roll ups. The little razor was in quite good condition…..handle was a bit green in the grooves but cleaned up a treat with the tin foil rub down ( an old rocker’s trick for getting the rust off your Gold Star handlebars).
Top little razors in my book.I think that perhaps they clamp the blade really well or is there something more esoteric going on here. Mr Souplex I salute you…..

Hello all
Finally got round to registering on Badger and Blade. Have looked on here for a while.
I have 3 Souplex OC’s (two solid and one hollow handle). 1 is absolutely mint in a small Bakelite box with a pack of double six blades.
Excellent little razor. I love the super thin head design and the great shave it delivers. Why is it so good? Looks like nothing special but it’s one of the top three in my modest razor collection.
I’ve used BIC’s, Nacets, Astras and Feathers in mine. Nacets nice and smooth for me with minimal sting from the alum.
Will post some pics soon.
Hi there @Lee Van Cleft welcome to B&B from a Londoner!

Sorry for the belated welcome.

Great collection you photo'd. I'm actually thinking of picking up a spare.

I think there is actually something more esoteric going on. Also there seems to be quite a bit of blade exposure. I've seen a couple of Brit patent numbers that I will track down when I can be arsed to. I have seen reference to it being advertised as the "combless razor" in some of the bakelite Souplex boxes. Not the bakelite razors. Souplex also made Big Ben brand razors which seem identical. They were based in Morcombe, Lancs.

Last edited:
Hi there @Lee Van Cleft welcome to B&B from a Londoner!

Sorry for the belated welcome.

Great collection you photo'd. I'm actually thinking of picking up a spare.

I think there is actually something more esoteric going on. I've seen a couple of Brit patent numbers that I will track down when I can be arsed to. I have seen reference to it being advertised as the "combless razor" in some of the bakelite Souplex boxes. Not the bakelite razors. Souplex also made Big Ben brand razors which seem identical. They were based in Morcombe, Lancs.
Hi there👋👋
Nice to hear from you.
They are somewhat of an enigma….I get such superb shaves from mine yet they look…not that special.
Thinking of trying it with one of the original Souplex blades I have. Got a couple in tip top nick and as you can guess they’re a fair bit thicker than the modern ones. The edges on the decent old blades look awesome…still mirror shiny. Will look with a decent magnifier before trying though.
In Souplex we trust✊

They are somewhat of an enigma….I get such superb shaves from mine yet they look…not that special.
Yes, they are, and were a little neglected. I was just blown away when I got mine. I just thought a club for owners would be a nice touch. I find them to be delicate, minimalist and very beautiful. The awesome shave is the cherry on the top.
Thinking of trying it with one of the original Souplex blades I have. Got a couple in tip top nick and as you can guess they’re a fair bit thicker than the modern ones. The edges on the decent old blades look awesome…still mirror shiny. Will look with a decent magnifier before trying though.
If the edge looks good and the blades clean go for it! Experimentation is good :letterk1:
In Souplex we trust✊
Bloody right!

Yes, they are, and were a little neglected. I was just blown away when I got mine. I just thought a club for owners would be a nice touch. I find them to be delicate, minimalist and very beautiful. The awesome shave is the cherry on the top.

If the edge looks good and the blades clean go for it! Experimentation is good :letterk1:

Bloody right!
I’m already working on the club T shirt…….. reckon we could shift at least 3 perhaps 4.😉

IMG_5732.png

After a week of Henson+++ and I have to admit some superb , easy fine shaves I decided to get you know who out….
Did a report on daily shaves but OMG….
the Ferrari Dino of razors , King Souplex delivered big time. Just awesome. Took my time but let’s just say it’s an involuntary chin stroker of a shave.
Will probably only need a quick one pass tomorrow OCD permitting.
Souplex!!!✊

Top Bottom