What's new

SOTD "HALLOWEEN WEEK" October 24th - October 30th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Monday SOTD

Took yesterdays Flea Market find out for a spin. Cleaned up nice and the brassing on it is beautyful... what I wasn't ready for is the amount of blade feel that this has. I might have to train on this again... couldn't find the right angle. Still got a good shave... just a little rougher that I would have liked, but thats on me...

Click here to view quoted image.

Razor: Everready OC
Blade: Ted Pella PTFE (6)
Brush: Stirling 26mm Finest Badger
Soap: Stirling Gentleman
AS: Witchhazel / SkinBracer / Balea ASB

If anybody knows more about the razor... Input would be great. Its says on the bottom: Pat. March 24/14 Made in USA and inside American Safety Razor Co. Inc. New York.

Thanks Gentlemen and hope everybody has a good evening!!

It's an Ever-Ready 1914. I have one but haven't used it yet. The 1914 has a rep for being somewhat aggressive. I do have an Ever-Ready 1924 Shovelhead, which, I've read, is about the same in aggression as the 1914. I have used the 1924. A shallow angle, with the cap almost touching the cheek is best for these SEs. Just take it easy. In my week of SE shaves a while back I didn't have any real problems with them AND I was using them for the first time. It just takes a bit of practice. Many people swear by them.

Well, the week has certainly started off with some exceptional photos and text posts. Thank you, gentlemen.

I'm sure, as the week progresses, we will be dazzled each day by a flood of beautiful pictures and informative posts.

@ram57 - A chilly little shave. Like the vignetting. Looks like snow!
@melyus - That's a great lineup!
@skypsyd - Now that's a fun picture!. You've got the spirit, Dave!
@Dagwoodz - Excellent shave portrait, Josh.
@Jfoley - Welcome to SOTD. Solid razor, sharp blade, fine cream, great lather ... neat photo!
@JBO667 - Like the tilted mug. I'm sure you can work your skull prominently into a shot or two.
@ClaudioBP - Love the color. Nice framing.
@Cash_Stronomer - Great near silhouette. Such a splendid setting! Fine play of sunlight.
@Tenergy - Smart looking photo, Valeri. Excellent use of dark tones.
@blexa - A very refreshing shave. Love your background.
@UngerWoo - Accomplished soft focus.
@shm - Beautiful shot, Søren. Really love that brush.
@Clint64 - Nice close-in picture. Lovely play of colors.
@cmh737 - Handsome design, Chris. The scales are quite attractive.
@eezee - Quality shot; quality shave.
@Rusty Blade - First-rate overhead shot.
@mcdig - Exquisite photo, Mark. Superb lighting.
@imcndn - Classic capture. Does the Wilkinson shave stick yield a good lather?
@lindyhop66 - Smartly done pic. Interesting razor.
@Bobcat - How was the Coate's cream, Bob?
@blzrfn - Nice skull and pumpkin accents, Dave. How does that Aristocrat #16 shave?
@LoungeLizard - Dandy low level shot, Larry. Good looking mask.
@CT23 - Wonderful picture, Chris. That's a great wood base for brush, razor and soap. Very interesting landscape.
@witeq - Fine arrangement. Effective lighting. Like that frame.
@Jnatcat - Effective POV, Will.
@Loei - Like the placement of the Wilkinson soap.
@doc47 - Sterling presentation, Dan. The open SV bowl is eye catching.
@samlark - Neat guardians of your shave, Sammy. Lovely bottle.
@noahpictures - Fetching shot again.
@ram57 - A superlative shave you've set for yourself. Neat background and the halo effect.
@Hanover - Marvelous, Mark! Love that structure and the inlay. Once again, beautiful!
@Sdm84 - Striking picture, Owem. Your GEM Junior is a beaut! Neat pumpkins.
@nikonNUT - I agree; you don't want to be without Beaudelaire and ... all the rest of B&M.
@Smooth Steve - That lather is spooky! Like your sepia pic.
@sandstone - Another fine low-angle shot, Phil. Like the reflected color on the base plate.
@CT23 - An elegant shot for numer two (sorry, Number 6)! Love the angles in this shot. I covet that brush so much ... one of these days....
@Noire - Great photo! That fearsome razor has beautiful scales. Excellent looking array.
@Quink - Good high-angle shot, JC. That Ever-Ready 1914 really cleaned up nicely.
@Rxdude - Choice view of a real envy shave.
@PomfretSteve - Fine closeup shot.

I sincerely hope Monday has been an enriching day for each of you and that your evening is going well.

See you tomorrow, gents.

Last edited:

Well, the week has certainly started off with some exceptional photos and text posts. Thank you, gentlemen.

I'm sure, as the week progresses, we will be dazzled each day by a flood of beautiful pictures and informative posts.

I sincerely hope Monday has been an enriching day for each of you and that your evening is going well.

See you tomorrow, gents.

Thanks Ron, I want to get some favorites in with being next for the soap sample pass around box. And also get some more use of my straight razors!

October 24 - was a strange day.
shave cream: Nivea Originals - which I disliked for it's scummy feel and relative lack of scent the first time. It just needed more water to make a creamy kind of lather.
brush: a boar brush of unknown origin, with red and white cracked & flaking paint job. I didn't want to use any of my good brushes with the Nivea.
mug: a Coldplay merch mug, commemorating "The Singles 1999-2006" album. More of a soup mug, the perfect size for bowl lathering, white with black interior and a handle big enough for a thumb.
razor: New Style head on a fat Tech handle.
blade: 2nd use of an Astra SP
post: Omega Alum Stick, cold water rinse, Mennen Skin Bracer.

Result: BBS, and somewhat less sting than usual from the post-shave products.

Ah. Here's a mug just like mine:

$coldplay mug.jpg

I have no idea what they sound like. Probably over-produced commercial pseudo-Indie junk.
But the mug was only $1.

Proraso Green Pre/Post
Mozingo Brushes 24mm Synthetic by Cousin-Eddie
Barrister & Mann Hallows
AlumiGoose Black / Feather Pro Guard (Shave 5)
Thayers Superhazel with Proraso Green Pre/post followed with Proraso/Osage Rub splash

$IMG_i5_102416 (2).jpg

@ram57 - A chilly little shave. Like the vignetting. Looks like snow!
@melyus - That's a great lineup!
@skypsyd - Now that's a fun picture!. You've got the spirit, Dave!
@Dagwoodz - Excellent shave portrait, Josh.
@Jfoley - Welcome to SOTD. Solid razor, sharp blade, fine cream, great lather ... neat photo!
@JBO667 - Like the tilted mug. I'm sure you can work your skull prominently into a shot or two.
@ClaudioBP - Love the color. Nice framing.
@Cash_Stronomer - Great near silhouette. Such a splendid setting! Fine play of sunlight.
@Tenergy - Smart looking photo, Valeri. Excellent use of dark tones.
@blexa - A very refreshing shave. Love your background.
@UngerWoo - Accomplished soft focus.
@shm - Beautiful shot, Søren. Really love that brush.
@Clint64 - Nice close-in picture. Lovely play of colors.
@cmh737 - Handsome design, Chris. The scales are quite attractive.
@eezee - Quality shot; quality shave.
@Rusty Blade - First-rate overhead shot.
@mcdig - Exquisite photo, Mark. Superb lighting.
@imcndn - Classic capture. Does the Wilkinson shave stick yield a good lather?
@lindyhop66 - Smartly done pic. Interesting razor.
@Bobcat - How was the Coate's cream, Bob?
@blzrfn - Nice skull and pumpkin accents, Dave. How does that Aristocrat #16 shave?
@LoungeLizard - Dandy low level shot, Larry. Good looking mask.
@CT23 - Wonderful picture, Chris. That's a great wood base for brush, razor and soap. Very interesting landscape.
@witeq - Fine arrangement. Effective lighting. Like that frame.
@Jnatcat - Effective POV, Will.
@Loei - Like the placement of the Wilkinson soap.
@doc47 - Sterling presentation, Dan. The open SV bowl is eye catching.
@samlark - Neat guardians of your shave, Sammy. Lovely bottle.
@noahpictures - Fetching shot again.
@ram57 - A superlative shave you've set for yourself. Neat background and the halo effect.
@Hanover - Marvelous, Mark! Love that structure and the inlay. Once again, beautiful!
@Sdm84 - Striking picture, Owem. Your GEM Junior is a beaut! Neat pumpkins.
@nikonNUT - I agree; you don't want to be without Beaudelaire and ... all the rest of B&M.
@Smooth Steve - That lather is spooky! Like your sepia pic.
@sandstone - Another fine low-angle shot, Phil. Like the reflected color on the base plate.
@CT23 - An elegant shot for numer two (sorry, Number 6)! Love the angles in this shot. I covet that brush so much ... one of these days....
@Noire - Great photo! That fearsome razor has beautiful scales. Excellent looking array.
@Quink - Good high-angle shot, JC. That Ever-Ready 1914 really cleaned up nicely.
@PomfretSteve - Fine closeup shot.

See you tomorrow, gents.

Thanks very much, Ron!

Tuesday's Shave 10.25.2016
Shower + Musgo Glyce face lather & rinse

Thiers-Issard la legende 6/8
B&B Essential Boar 10th Anniversary
Truefitt & Hill 1805 shave soap
Truefitt & Hill 1805 aftershave

proxy.php

Have a Great Tuesday Gentlemen

proxy.php

Pre-Shave: Cypriotian Olive/Argan Oil soap, cold water
Razor: ATT R-1 Colossus
Blade: Voskhod (2)
Brush: Doug Korn Epsilon 2-band
Lather: Stirling Lavender & Bergamot
Post-shave: Alum, Barrister & Man Kyovu Original, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Thank you for your beautiful pictures gentlemen - I hope you all have a great Tuesday :thumbup:

SOTD - Tuesday, 25 October, 2016 - Stirling Piacenza

Prep:
hot shower, Stirling Gentleman
Pre-shave: Baume.be Pre-shave Gel, hot towel
Strop: 3” Premium Red Latigo strop, CrOx sprayed hard felt strop from SRD
Razor: Eiko 6/8”
ATG neck Razor: Merkur Futur (setting 6)
ATG neck Blade: Personna Blue Lab (4)
Soap: Stirling Piacenza
Brush: Semogue 830
Bowl: The Shaving Place Mountain Blue Glazed lather bowl
Post-shave: alum, cold towel, Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Stirling Piacenza
Fragrance: Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa
Album of the Day: The Who - The Ultimate Collection
Song of the Day: I Can See for Miles
$SOTD20161025.jpg
Great start to the week everyone!

October 25, 2016
iKon B1 OC with Hempel Ti
Feather (2)
Rudy Vey Rover with TGN Finest
Reef Point Dragon’s Blood
Witch Hazel

Many Thanks Ron :thumbup: Have a wonderful day .

Monday SOTD

Took yesterdays Flea Market find out for a spin. Cleaned up nice and the brassing on it is beautyful... what I wasn't ready for is the amount of blade feel that this has. I might have to train on this again... couldn't find the right angle. Still got a good shave... just a little rougher that I would have liked, but thats on me...

Click here to view quoted image.

Razor: Everready OC
Blade: Ted Pella PTFE (6)
Brush: Stirling 26mm Finest Badger
Soap: Stirling Gentleman
AS: Witchhazel / SkinBracer / Balea ASB

If anybody knows more about the razor... Input would be great. Its says on the bottom: Pat. March 24/14 Made in USA and inside American Safety Razor Co. Inc. New York.

Thanks Gentlemen and hope everybody has a good evening!!

Ahhh...the finicky 1914! I have one and it is scary! Try taping the spine of the blade to reduce chatter shimming does the same thing. I did this and tamed it somewhat ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom