What's new

SOTD - April 5, 2010 through April 11, 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wellll.... I got my razors today in the mail
I excitedly ran upstairs to the bathroom and went all out, I got my grandfathers brush (he rarely lets me use it), its softer than my VDW boar. I got my shaving bowl off the shelf and set it in the sink of steaming hot water, along with my razor
once everything warmed I used some local soap (makes a very good lather actually, its "Au natural" and I love the stuff) and I proceeded to make the best lather I have ever made, warm and perfectly moist.
I started with my upper lip (as always) and moved to my right side (dominant hand) I continued along to my neck and then up my left side.
I stopped to look at my handiwork... I was astonished... there were a million little red spots on my face, not razor burn... CUTS!
I think *Understatement alert* I was a little too aggressive with my blade.... As I sit here... smooth as a baby's bottom and as tore up more than EVER... I am seriously trying to decide why I left this world of shaving... I NEVER had this problem when I shaved before... but today... I was torn to hell...
I was using a Treet Classic blade and a Gillette (what i think is a) fatboy....setting of about 4. (I clicked up one for the few days growth and the fact that when I did my lip... it didn't "feel" like I was shaving)
that was another thing I noticed.. I never noticed the blade against my face.... it never drug (that's for sure) and I never felt it "cut"... I am rather confused...
Help would be most appreciated... I shaved like I used to shave with me DEs... I just haven't used them in about a year....

One thing I would suggest is to dial the razor down to a two setting. Next time you shave make sure that you're using no pressure. I hope this helps.

Dialing down the aggressiveness is a good idea. I suggest you also consider blade angle. The few times that I've unknowingly nicked myself I was either attempting to shave against the grain or was holding the razor at too steep of an angle (well... actually... I suspect the whole "against the grain" deal was due to too steep of a blade angle, too!).

Do stay with it. The traditional wetshave is a wonderful experience once you get the hang of it.

that was the razor I normally used, and back when I was first shaving with a DE (that year+ ago) i used that brush, but stopped as per my grandfathers request LOL

Are you sure the blade was in there tightly? Closing the doors on TTO isn't enough, you have to give it an extra quarter-turn or so to make sure the mechanism clamps down fully on the blade.

A loose blade will cause you massive problems. I made this mistake once (using a SlantHammer razor) and I was so cut up I couldn't shave again for a week.

4 on a fatboy is a high setting equivalent to a superspeed , whatever adjustable gillette i use i never go past 3 and it's a mild shave ,there's more 30 years that i shave exlusively against the grain & this was never a problem although i have a relatively fragile skin .

Thanks for all the posts guys! I am very excitedly waiting for the water heater to catch up with the washing machine, dish washer, and shower, so that I can try again this morning (I have waited for days so the little spots could heal *completely*.

Monday

Edwin Jagger DE87
NOS V3 1975 Gillette Bleue Extra (1)
Omega 80056
Proraso Pre/Post (used as a pre-shave)
Palmolive/Boots Sticks (mixed into a bowl, with a menthol kick :w00t: )
Alum
One Planet AB
Denim Black AS

I grated some sticks of Palmolive and Boots into a bowl melted some menthol crystals into the mix and WOW, this has got to have been the coldest shave I've ever had, my eyes where running and I think I was shivering (well at least I'm awake now :wink2: ), the NOS Bleues are excellent blades and can be bought quite cheaply, this particular old timer gave my mug a BBS :thumbup1: .

Have a nice and pleasant day Gents.

Tony

Mercur 34C w/RPIP (3) • Semouge Excelsior LE • Proraso Pre/Post • Santa Maria Novella • SCS Lavender ASM
Serge Lutens Gris Clair....

proxy.php

Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort Pre-shave Oil
Taylor of Old Bond Street Luxury Lavender Shaving Soap

Proshave-scuttle
Taylor of Old Bond Street Super/Silvertip Badger brush
Edwin Jagger Georgian DE-razor
Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum - black (3)

Thayer's Unscentet Witch Hazel
Penhaligon's Opus 1870 After Shave Balm...

Have a nice day, gentlemen:thumbup1:

Dr. Dittmar Silvertip | Vulfix Persian Musk Shaving Cream
Otto Busch Weltmeister, 6/8
Alt Innsbruck | Annemarie Börlind After Shave Gel
L'Erborario Vetiver de la Reunion

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Monday

"Silver Fisher" 6/8 Made in Germany #76
Somerset Lampblacked 2 Band Simpson Tulip 4
Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap
Alum Block from local Indian Grocery
Alt Innsbruck

Penworks Silvertip
MB Clear Skies/CO Bigelow SC Superlather
LORD Tech w/ Red IP (2)
Proraso AS
Antiheros

Some lovely shaves already today Gents! Please keep up the good work and have a great week.

Monday (a holiday here) so I took the opportunity to try my new straight again. My second straight shave was a little smoother than the first, a little less nerve-wracking and ears and nose are still intact :001_smile:

T+H Rooney 1/2 in Super
T+H Lime SC
Dovo 5/8
Thayer's
C+E WI Limes Cologne

proxy.php

Rooney 2/1 | KMF Lime SC | Merkur 23C | Feather | TOBS No. 74 Victorian Lime AS | SCS Bay Rum With a Twist EdT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom