What's new

Something to replace Dove Body Wash

With winter coming, and the heat going on, my skin dries out like I was in the arid Arizona desert. I currently use Dove Body Wash this time of year, and the regular bars over the summer. The Body Wash seems a little more moisturizing to me.

Anyway, I want CHANGE! YES I DO! I'm looking for something that won't dry out my skin, is at least as moisturizing as the Dove is if not more so. As long as it's moisturizing, it doesn't necessarily have to be a body wash/liquid - a bar would be fine.

Some scents that I've tried and liked: Sandalwood (C&E shave soap and TOBS cream), Tabac (shave soap), Rosemary Mint (Aveda shampoo/conditioner). Wow, listing it out like that makes me realize I haven't tried very many products at all. I'm really curious about the Bay Rum scent. I have no idea what it smells like, I don't think I've ever smelled it before. But for some reason it really intrigues me, maybe from the following it gets here.

Also, along with the suggestion, if you could recommend where to pick it up, too (Walmart, CVS, online, etc....).

TIA, and I look forward to your recommendations....

I have a similar problem with dry skin in the winter, and I also use dove liquid bodywash. I picked up some Provence Sante Bath bars that were on sale at a local heath food market, similar to whole foods. It was pretty eye opening. Skin felt amazingly clean, squeaky clean, and no dryness, or itching that usually happens a couple hours after a shower for me. Changed my whole perception of bar soap. These are the scents I got Vetiver and Vervain, they are both pretty good. The Almond smelled great but wasn't on sale. Some people swear by MWF bath bars, I haven't used them but they are on the way directly from the UK, but Lee's razor has them as well as a shower gel. Shavingessential had some bath bars on sale, check this thread http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=62115

I am fortunate not to have dry skin but my wife suffers terribly. So bad that her hands and feet will crack if she doesn't stay on top of a skin conditioner program in the winter. She also uses the Dove cream oil body wash, and like you, would like a change. It seems to be the best readily available product out there even though its a little pricey at $7 to $10 a bottle.

I am somewhat surprised that with as many mad scientist as we have around here someone hasn't come up with a home made do-it-yourself recipe using some inexpensive ingredients for body wash. I am always doctoring aftershaves, or hair tonic, or melting soaps, and would appreciate any feed back on body wash receipts for my darling wife. Something that would help stave off the dry skin problems.

Not inexpensive, but you can have her try to use some neutrogena body oil after shower/bathing, and pat dry, this helps seal in moisture.
For dry cracking hands I use Glysomed hand cream in the winter, and a pumice stone does wonders even for hands, just be gentle.

I am fortunate not to have dry skin but my wife suffers terribly. So bad that her hands and feet will crack if she doesn't stay on top of a skin conditioner program in the winter. She also uses the Dove cream oil body wash, and like you, would like a change. It seems to be the best readily available product out there even though its a little pricey at $7 to $10 a bottle.

I am somewhat surprised that with as many mad scientist as we have around here someone hasn't come up with a home made do-it-yourself recipe using some inexpensive ingredients for body wash. I am always doctoring aftershaves, or hair tonic, or melting soaps, and would appreciate any feed back on body wash receipts for my darling wife. Something that would help stave off the dry skin problems.

proxy.php

Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like this winter is going to be a trial and error season.

Like that's a bad thing!!! :001_rolle:001_rolle

I am fortunate not to have dry skin but my wife suffers terribly. So bad that her hands and feet will crack if she doesn't stay on top of a skin conditioner program in the winter.

Ugh... My hands started doing that last winter... the skin on the knuckles dried up so bad it would crack and my knuckles were constantly red from dried blood.

It has been snowing the last day or so... perhaps I should jump into a moisturizing routine before it gets that bad!

The Nivea Sensitive shown above is good but IMO not nearly as moisturising as Dove. It definitely won't dry you out though. It's my summer choice.

I don't know if you Dove range in the US is the same as we get here in Europe, but for winter I'm using Dove "Triple Moisture".. It's so slippy you've to be careful not to break your neck in the shower. Very good stuff.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Try a bar of Kiss My Face olive oil soap. Its scent is not the greatest, but works quite well and is cheap for a big bar.

the nivea (mentioned above) available everywhere

and every man jack (available at target).

but if you want something fancier; nancy boy bar soap or shower gel.

If they are getting that bad, just use petroleum jelly, That's what one of my old co-workers told me to use, and she is a Dermatologist.

Ugh... My hands started doing that last winter... the skin on the knuckles dried up so bad it would crack and my knuckles were constantly red from dried blood.

It has been snowing the last day or so... perhaps I should jump into a moisturizing routine before it gets that bad!

Walmart has a cheap moisturizing body wash that is pretty good. Equate is it I think if I remember correctly. Think on the bottle it says compare to Dove or either Olay dont remember just know that it is cheap and worked good for me.Here you go great stuff.

When we lived in Wisconsin my wife's Dermatologist recommended she apply petroleum jelly on her hands and feet before bed during the cold dry months. Its a routine that has help her a lot and which she still uses during the worse of the winter here in Oklahoma.

get yourself some Vitamin A & D from Walgreen's and apply it on your problem areas at night... I do this ritual with my feet, elbows, knuckles and finger tips before you go to bed put on some nice soft socks on feet...

Top Bottom