What's new

Solo Trip To The Boundary Waters

Well, I am gearing up for the dream trip of mine. I am going on a two to three week solo canoe trip to the Boundary Waters (BWCA).

Background: I have been on a couple of canoe trips in the past. Problem is, All of my gear was designed for multiple people. This is a solo trip.

Also, what may seem as a side note but is important is, I am getting a divorce. So, this trip is a lot to do with that too. It also means I am on a shoestring budget.

So, gear wise, I am taking my kayak. It is not ideal by any means but I cannot afford to rent a solo canoe for that long. I have bought a Trangia alcohol stove, a Katadyn water filter/pump, and am buying two tarps this week. I was recommended to read any book by Cliff Jacobson and have one I am reading.

I am planning on going the first week of June, so bugs will be an issue. I use a hammock so I am thinking I need a bug screen too.

Anyhow, I thought I would post this to read your suggestions, advice, or just stories of trips you've taken up there. :thumbup1:

Not solo by anymeans but last trip in the summer anyway, I took there was about 12 years ago with a group of about 6 kids (troubled youth) and 3 staff, one of whom had been a BWCA guide in a former lifetime. It was quite a bit of fun, though at the end we had to end up placing a physical hold on a kid in a canoe, not realy safe but he was attempting to tip the entire canoe over, with a staff (me) and another kid.

We went around the end of May, so bugs weren't quite bad yet. June starts to get a bit busy there so make sure that you have a few campsites marked out in case your's is taken not sure if they are reserved yet or not but I know that it can be an issue. If you can/have room and a little extra money, fishing up there is pretty nice, we caught some gorgeous walleye up there and ate it for breakfast the next morning, by far the best fish I've ever had. Though to top it off it was our smallest kid who caught it by his lonesome in a canoe at dusk :w00t: He was grinning from ear to ear for days.
We canoed a long long ways, I think close to 40 miles, over a period of 3 days, which with a group of teenagers and a few inexperienced staff, I thought was quite impressive. All I can say is that having the former guide made a huge difference, he knew where we needed to go and how to teach everyone what to do without an issue.

Whatever you end up doing have fun, stay safe, watch out for bears, moose, and mosquitoes, bring lots of bug spray.

Where you launching out of?

I was up at the BWCA many years ago. It was in late July/early August. Remarkably, bugs weren't that big of an issue. I would bring plenty of bug spray, though. I'd also consider bringing a small tent and sleeping bag rather than a hammock--at the very least, you'll have protection from the rain.

I'd also make sure you plan your route well--we had some quarter mile portages. There were 4 of us, and they were still a pain. I can't imagine doing those solo. But if you plan your route well, you should have a great time.

Finally, I'm sorry to hear about the divorce. Your trip should give you plenty of time to reflect, plan for the future, etc.

Where you launching out of?

I have not decided which EP to use yet. I am still looking into that. I just read a book about suggested routes for the Eastern region. Later in the week, I am getting the book on the Western region. I should have a tenative route planned by the end of next week.

I'd also consider bringing a small tent and sleeping bag rather than a hammock--at the very least, you'll have protection from the rain.

With hammock camping, you have a tarp over top your hammock for rain and weather protection. Beats the devil out of lying on the ground!

proxy.php

Blake, good luck on your trip, I am not familiar with that area, but would offer this from my time in the Adirondacks.

Leave a detailed plan with some one-
Make sure your first few days are short hauls-
Build a day or two into your plan for just sittin and thinkin/ fishing/ horrible weather-
Have extra batteries for your primary, secondary and tertiary flashlights-
Tupperware is your friend-
Extra paddle!-
Sunscreen/chapstick
If its not tied to the boat you don't need it.:tongue_sm
A hand ax-

What is your meal plans? pre packaged?

Keep posting as you get organized!

Blake, good luck on your trip, I am not familiar with that area, but would offer this from my time in the Adirondacks.

Leave a detailed plan with some one-
Make sure your first few days are short hauls-
Build a day or two into your plan for just sittin and thinkin/ fishing/ horrible weather-
Have extra batteries for your primary, secondary and tertiary flashlights-
Tupperware is your friend-
Extra paddle!-
Sunscreen/chapstick
If its not tied to the boat you don't need it.:tongue_sm
A hand ax-

What is your meal plans? pre packaged?

Keep posting as you get organized!

Excellent advice.

I am leaving a general itinerary with my my best friend and my room-mate. There is also some emergency contact info and the ranger's station number and my expected return date. If I do not text her on the planned day she is to call the Rangers station.

I also made some dog tags yesterday. It may be a little silly but, since I won't be carrying a wallet out there, they can ID me. One has my name and address, the other has DOB and my best friend's phone number to call.

The short hauls on the first days sounds like a good idea. I hadn't thought about it but seems reasonable.

What I am hoping is to make a series of base camps and do day trips or just laze around camp some days. I thought maybe plan a route that takes about half as long as I plan on being out. That will give me plenty of flexibility for emergencies, fishing, or if I really like a particular area.

Lights, I haven't given much thought to other than glow sticks and a headlamp. :blush:

Definitely bringing an extra paddle, and sunscreen. Didn't think about Chapstick.

I typically carry a Kukri on stuff like this. It works well as a machete and an axe.

Food is not totally planned yet. My last trip, my friend bought a can of dried eggs with bacon bits. Wasn't too bad really. Dinners, I am thinking about just buying instant rice meals (e.g. rice a roni) and ramen noodles. You can buy canned beef, chicken, and tuna but I can't take cans. I am told there are these things in pouches too. But, add that to to the instant stuff and you have lightweight and easy to make meals. But, I have not finalized this yet.

I would like to buy the packaged food for this purpose but they are a little expensive. I may get a few to throw in for variety. Some of them can be very good, I know.

Do you have any experience portaging a kayak? If not, you might want to think about designing your route around minimizing portages.

Since you have a hammock, I presume you've done some backpacking? If so, you probably have most of the equipment already. With a tarp to lounge and cook under, you'll be set.

June in the BWCA? I vowed never to do it again. Dealing with that first hatch of mosquitoes just isn't worth it to me, although this is a decision as personal as what blade to shave with. This year promises to be an especially bad one, too. With all the snow we've had, the breeding areas will be larger than typical. Be prepared.

Have fun and report back.

Do you have any experience portaging a kayak? If not, you might want to think about designing your route around minimizing portages.

Since you have a hammock, I presume you've done some backpacking? If so, you probably have most of the equipment already. With a tarp to lounge and cook under, you'll be set.

June in the BWCA? I vowed never to do it again. Dealing with that first hatch of mosquitoes just isn't worth it to me, although this is a decision as personal as what blade to shave with. This year promises to be an especially bad one, too. With all the snow we've had, the breeding areas will be larger than typical. Be prepared.

Have fun and report back.

I have not actually ever went backpacking. I would like to though. I have a decent pack and if I get these trips dialed in well enough, I plan on trying to hoof it. Boats tend to leave more leeway than carrying it on your back.

As far as June, that is my biggest fear. I plan on treating my clothes, tarps, hammock, etc. with permethrin. Bringing a head net. And, as I said, I want to get s bug net for my hammock.

I have not actually ever went backpacking. I would like to though. I have a decent pack and if I get these trips dialed in well enough, I plan on trying to hoof it. Boats tend to leave more leeway than carrying it on your back.

As far as June, that is my biggest fear. I plan on treating my clothes, tarps, hammock, etc. with permethrin. Bringing a head net. And, as I said, I want to get s bug net for my hammock.

I will loan you a Hennessy Hammock, with integral bug net. Will send you a PM. No jury-rigged bug net is likely to work very well. You will want a place to rest without varmints attacking you.

Is there any cell phone coverage out there? Maybe check around and find a prepaid that works out there, just in case. Unless your current cell phone will work out there.

I second the GPS suggestion. I've seen them for like $40 used on ebay for the Garmin eTrex. Might be a fun and useful gadget.

Also, beef jerky and some basic meds like aspirin, first aid kit.

I've made several trips in the BWCAW. Gone in through Ely and also the Gunflint Trail.

Forget cell phones, you will be miles away from a tower and would also need a way to charge them. Better off with radios if you can find a frequency that the rangers use.

Mosquitos are the state bird there. Be prepared for them when it gets dark. We would hear a hum start in the woods that would increase to a dull roar from the Mosquitos. In the morning there would be a few hundred on the outside of the tent screen. The dog quickly figured out that inside the tent was the lace to be to get away from them.

Have cooking fuel for the whole trip. You could run into fire restrictions there where you won't be allowed to have campfires. Food for a long trip should be freeze dried. What you pack in has to be packed out, including trash.

Portages are going to be your problem with a kayak. The reason for that is because in a typical kayak there isn't room for packs. The gear is stored in compartments. Hopefully you'll be be to include an empty backpack or two. The best way to portage solo is to put one pack on your back, one on your front, and then pick up your canoe and go!

Be sure to hang your food pack from a tree so that bear doesn't get it.

Don't rely on a GPS alone! Be sure to get maps as well, and know how to use a compass.

Last edited:
Is there any cell phone coverage out there? Maybe check around and find a prepaid that works out there, just in case. Unless your current cell phone will work out there.

I second the GPS suggestion. I've seen them for like $40 used on ebay for the Garmin eTrex. Might be a fun and useful gadget.

Also, beef jerky and some basic meds like aspirin, first aid kit.

Yeah, I'm leaving my phone in the car. I'll need it to contact my best friend when I get back. She'll be getting antsy to hear from me by then. Would suck to have a dead phone.

unless things have changed there is very little cell coverage.
how are you first aid skills?
if you haven't already you should take a look here http://www.bwca.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.info

have you already got the required permits?

First aid is something I am slightly skilled in. Partially from my own experiences. I have given myself stitches before and treated numerous other problems of mine. But, I was also a Volunteer Firefighter for a while so I have some actual training too.

I've made several trips in the BWCAW. Gone in through Ely and also the Gunflint Trail.

Forget cell phones, you will be miles away from a tower and would also need a way to charge them. Better off with radios if you can find a frequency that the rangers use.

Mosquitos are the state bird there. Be prepared for them when it gets dark. We would hear a hum start in the woods that would increase to a dull roar from the Mosquitos. In the morning there would be a few hundred on the outside of the tent screen. The dog quickly figured out that inside the tent was the lace to be to get away from them.

Have cooking fuel for the whole trip. You could run into fire restrictions there where you won't be allowed to have campfires. Food for a long trip should be freeze dried. What you pack in has to be packed out, including trash.

Portages are going to be your problem with a kayak. The reason for that is because in a typical kayak there isn't room for packs. The gear is stored in compartments. Hopefully you'll be be to include an empty backpack or two. The best way to portage solo is to put one pack on your back, one on your front, and then pick up your canoe and go!

Be sure to hang your food pack from a tree so that bear doesn't get it.

Don't rely on a GPS alone! Be sure to get maps as well, and know how to use a compass.

I'm definitely not looking forward to the mosquitoes. In fact, I had considered delaying the trip. But, I have read some say they've had little trouble with them and some say they were as bad as you state. So, I figure it is going to depend on weather and location. Hopefully it will be breezy. Being able to use an enclosed pack is going to make a huge difference! Thanks again DavyRay! :thumbup:

I am not planning on being able to have a fire. If I can, great! If not, I'll be ready. Sounds like the the mosquitoes may make enjoying a fire a little difficult anyhow. :blush:

I am definitely dreading portaging that kayak. But, it is better that the 17' Coleman beast I have. I am planning on double portaging. Maybe, towards the end, I will have eaten enough I can single portage. But, I see no sense in killing myself. I am there to enjoy the experience, not race from Point A to Point B. Hpoefully, next year I can afford to have a nice lightweight solo canoe. That will help.

I have a nice backpack and I have a couple of dry bags. I figured I would take at lest one dry bag. This has shoulder straps and a waist belt but will not be as comfortable as my pack. I have put this pack in my kayak before.

I need to buy one extra rope sor hanging purposes. But, I am hoping to be able to make something like Bear Hooks to use. They seem pretty sweet. Does anyone have any experience with these?

I am not planning on bringing a GPS. I have two compasses and will get the maps as soon as I have a general route planned. I have not gotten my permit yet, either. Again, I need to get a genearl idea of where I want to go first. I hope to get this stuff taken care of next week.

I am definitely dreading portaging that kayak.

I assume you will be using a small axle/wheel set for kayak portages? But I guess it's still hard to portage, even with wheels.

Last edited:

I assume you will be using a small axle/wheel set for kayak portages? But I guess it's still hard to portage, even with wheels.

It is my understanding this is not allowed. That would make it so much easier though!

Many portage trails make wheels impossible to use. The 1/2 mile portage out of Fourtown Lake come to mind. The first thing you navigate is a climb up a steep rocky slope. Some trails have blow down trees across them.

Another thing to plan for is camping sites. You are allowed to camp only in the designated spots that are on the maps. All of those are found by looking for the fire ring that is at each campsite. A lake can have only one camp site on it, and if the all of the camping in the lake is full you may have to do a couple more portages before you find a site. The whole point of it and a lot of other regulations there is to minimize human impact on the environment.

Use the dry bag for all of your food and cooking gear. You don't want the smell of food on your other gear because that can attract bear. They have been known to come into tents. We had a bear come through our camp site on one trip. No harm done, but it woke us up. You can get bear reports before you go in.

Earlier in the season usually means lots of water that can keep portages shorter and some waterways navigable. Late summer and early fall is often a lot dryer. We once had to drag our canoes through a marsh, and found one portage increase from a couple hundred yards to about a half mile.

Many portage trails make wheels impossible to use. The 1/2 mile portage out of Fourtown Lake come to mind. The first thing you navigate is a climb up a steep rocky slope. Some trails have blow down trees across them.

Another thing to plan for is camping sites. You are allowed to camp only in the designated spots that are on the maps. All of those are found by looking for the fire ring that is at each campsite. A lake can have only one camp site on it, and if the all of the camping in the lake is full you may have to do a couple more portages before you find a site. The whole point of it and a lot of other regulations there is to minimize human impact on the environment.

Use the dry bag for all of your food and cooking gear. You don't want the smell of food on your other gear because that can attract bear. They have been known to come into tents. We had a bear come through our camp site on one trip. No harm done, but it woke us up. You can get bear reports before you go in.

Earlier in the season usually means lots of water that can keep portages shorter and some waterways navigable. Late summer and early fall is often a lot dryer. We once had to drag our canoes through a marsh, and found one portage increase from a couple hundred yards to about a half mile.

+1 on the food in the dry bag. This was my plan. Hopefully, going in June helps me out then. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom