What's new

Sock obsession - lifetime socks

I've posted here before about an affliction in acquiring colorful socks. And I still believe that all men owe it to themselves to buy one set of socks with color scheme that it outside of their comfort zone and wear them regularly to work.

But my love of wool socks has started to turn to "Lifetime Socks"

Smartwool has nothing on these socks. Smartwool has no warranty and no guarantee behind it. If I wear a hole in a $20-odd pair of Smartwook: I have a holey sock.

The first two that likely comes to everyone's mind are: Red Head (from Bass Pro) and Darn Tough.
Redhead: hasn't had my full opportunity to test out as they're clearly a cool/cold weather sock (even though I picked the "midweight" lifetime sock) and it's still warm here. They're really a nice warm sock and I look forward to them when October rolls around.
Darn Tough: I've already had to replace two pairs for wearing through within 6 months. The size seems to be a little small. The Large (going to sz11.5 or 45) with my 11.5 foot is just large enough. But by the end of the day they wear themselves down a little. Where i've worn them out isn't on the heel or ball of my foot but on the sides of my foot. It's an odd spot that I've never worn out any other sock.

The other two are lesser known.
Teko: I've a couple pairs of short running socks (that I use for bicycling) that are brilliant. They're just the right thickness for year-round use (as much as my bicycle cold tolerance takes me) and breathe well.
Icebreaker: this is a recent acquisition of mine. They feel similar as the Darn Tough but the sizing feels much better. They're stretchier and stick where they should better. i've also a short pair for comparison with the Teko and they do admirably.

All of my lifetime socks have a serious barrier to entry that a $20 10-pack from walmart doesn't have. But I'm particular on my socks and love wool socks. I'm already armed to pay a premium to get wool and, in many cases, it's only a small premium to get a lifetime brand (or, in the case of Smartwool, there's no premium... Just stop buying that brand!)

Replacement of socks, with these brands, is limited. Teko and Darn Tough require you to mail them your socks. Mailing costs for socks coming up to a couple bucks make it more than an inconvenience.
RedHead and Icebreaker both have retail stores that'll handle your replacements for you. This is, by far, more convenient.

Long and the short of (my sock world) it: the Darn Tough replacement was painless (I cheated and used the MEC 'guarantee' instead) but the odd wear patterns disturb me.
The Icebreaker (for 3-seasons) combined with the RedHead (winter) will get my future vote (cash) for socks as I slowly replace my non-lifetime socks.

I just wish that there were more fun patterns available on these socks.
Any other lifetime brands that you're aware of?

I love fun socks. I cannot help with lifetime wool socks but I enjoy Happy Socks from Sweden. They have a sale buy 2 get 1 free.

I don't have anything to offer, but I'll be following along, as I love wool socks, primarily for hiking and hunting. I've never tried any that claimed "lifetime", but have tried a few different brands - many of which were blends with only 40-50% wool. I do have some REI hikers that have done well for me, but they're wool/poly blend as well. When I hike with wool socks I always wear an inner silk sock to help prevent blisters.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Aren't wool socks hot? Living in TX, I figured I'd ask.

Depends on the material ... "wool", that is, but how it's woven. Thick wool socks can be nice and toasty warm for winter. But thinner ones can do very well in heat. Depending on who you talk to (sorry ... "on to whom you talk" just seemed to sound wrong) they do better in heat than cotton socks of similar thinness.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Depends on the material ... "wool", that is, but how it's woven. Thick wool socks can be nice and toasty warm for winter. But thinner ones can do very well in heat. Depending on who you talk to (sorry ... "on to whom you talk" just seemed to sound wrong) they do better in heat than cotton socks of similar thinness.
Hmm, I might check it out.

Hmm, I might check it out.

Do some searching about how cotton/wool retain water. I have been switching almost exclusively to wool socks and I can't get over how they don't stink after a long day in dress shoes or a good workout.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Do some searching about how cotton/wool retain water. I have been switching almost exclusively to wool socks and I can't get over how they don't stink after a long day in dress shoes or a good workout.
Will do

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
SpikedLemon:
I don't think have a sock obsession, but I like to always wear argyle socks with all my attire (except of course in tennies or jeans or when wearing solid color socks will do just nicely), :laugh:

proxy.php
"Department of Missing Socks: No sock left behind". Popular saying

I'm a big fan of Darn Tough. I actually buy them from J Crew as they often get thrown into the sale section and you can get pairs in the teens.

Aren't wool socks hot? Living in TX, I figured I'd ask.
As stated above, depends on the sock. I live in Houston and wear Merino wool dress socks for work. They keep my feet cool and dry.

I also just purchased a couple of Icebreaker Merino wool/Tencel blend shirts and they have been great as well.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
As stated above, depends on the sock. I live in Houston and wear Merino wool dress socks for work. They keep my feet cool and dry.

I also just purchased a couple of Icebreaker Merino wool/Tencel blend shirts and they have been great as well.
Thanks

I prefer Smartwool/REI to Darn Tough. it's about the ratio of wool to stretchy stuff for me. the Darn Toughs I bought were 50% merino/50% stretchy stuff. not good enough for me. socks are a perishable item to me and I'm ok with eventually wearing them out. haven't tried Icebreaker socks yet.

Smartwool also does Costco's branded merino hikers. so there's three pair of mid-weights for about $20.

wool socks are the only material I wear, with one pair of wool/silk blend summer weights I'd love to find more of. from 130F/-35F, working out/slob mode to black tie. you just have to find the appropriate weight for the activity and environment. cotton and synthetic don't work as well for me. I spent a lot of years on my feet, or walking long distances with weight. foot care was supremely important, and still is.

I also have Ice Breaker undergarments/shirts in very light weight that wears more comfortably than cotton, even at >100F.

SpikedLemon:
I don't think have a sock obsession, but I like to always wear argyle socks with all my attire (except of course in tennies or jeans or when wearing solid color socks will do just nicely), :laugh:

My biggest peeve with argyle is that I'll find a nicely patterned argyle sock in a multi-pack but the remainder of the pack are just plain socks.

I prefer Smartwool/REI to Darn Tough. it's about the ratio of wool to stretchy stuff for me. the Darn Toughs I bought were 50% merino/50% stretchy stuff. not good enough for me. socks are a perishable item to me and I'm ok with eventually wearing them out. haven't tried Icebreaker socks yet.

Smartwool also does Costco's branded merino hikers. so there's three pair of mid-weights for about $20.

Agree on the stretch of the Darn Tough vs. Smartwool - though I feel like, with my feet, that the Smartwool is a little too far the other way and I find myself pulling them up too often throughout the day. The Smartwool & Darn Tough both wore out around the same time for me (<1yr) so I wasn't terribly thrilled by the longevity without warranty.
I'll have to check out Costco's merino socks though - at that price...

I have a little over a dozen pairs of Smartwool socks for work and play. They have been in rotation for a couple of years and the only place that I can even find wear is where my big toe nail rubs a little on my biking/running socks. I have had those for the better part of three years. I only buy them on sale (~$7-8) so far I find them to be a great investment.

My biggest peeve with argyle is that I'll find a nicely patterned argyle sock in a multi-pack but the remainder of the pack are just plain socks.

Agree on the stretch of the Darn Tough vs. Smartwool - though I feel like, with my feet, that the Smartwool is a little too far the other way and I find myself pulling them up too often throughout the day. The Smartwool & Darn Tough both wore out around the same time for me (<1yr) so I wasn't terribly thrilled by the longevity without warranty.
I'll have to check out Costco's merino socks though - at that price...

Friday they were $12/4 pack. if only they had had big socks, I'd have stocked up.

the stretch factor tends to matter very little for me. I either wear ankle socks, or tend to bunch/roll them down to the top of a lace up boot. if I'm wearing a really heavy weight sock for cold weather, I'm likely to have a base layer that the socks go over the top of and they don't bug me. dress socks... I don't tend to notice or be bothered as they sag to whatever small degree that happens.

Bicycling socks give great spice to life. I wear zombies, skeletons, pizza, Sasquatch, alien, tequila worm, zia symbol, chili pepper, shark, etc.....everyday. I wear scrubs for work so I can get away with it.

I'm a Darn Tough guy myself. I actually just placed an order for a bunch of new Darn Tough socks for casual and exercise. I find them to be comfortable and wear great. Their lifetime guarantee gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

I've worked in the 'outdoor industry' a while and have had access to 'pro deals' and have access to both Smartwool and Darn Tough socks at extremely steep discounts. I've always leaned towards Darn Tough.

The fact that Darn Tough socks are made in the USA is just an added bonus!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I'm not sure if this is the thread that got me interested in Darn Tough socks. I will say though that I was frustrated with the socks I had been purchasing. I threw caution to the wind and ordered 7 pairs. I've been wearing them every day for the last three months. They still feel like new.

Thank you again Badger and Blade people.

Top Bottom