What's new

Snake ID

Man, I wish we had hots running wild in our area. The wife and I used to breed boas, pythons, geckos, and a few others back in the day. Handled hots in controlled settings, but always just missed the chance to see one wild. And that Tiger tic is a stunner!

Same with me, except it was geckos, ball pythons, corn snakes, tarantulas and scorpions.

We get "rattlesnake Summers" sometimes. When the farm near my house plants corn that year, you can expect it to bring rats, which brings in the rattlesnakes. One year I didn't go a single day without removing atleast one Canebrake from my yard. The bad thing about them is that they're a very timid rattlesnake, but are a very potent species at the same time. A lot of times, they don't even rattle even if you're very close to them. I've almost stepped on a couple smaller ones. I believe they're right behind the Eastern Diamondback in terms of potency, then out West you have the Mojave being the most potent, IIRC.

Last edited:
That sounds awesome! My experience with hots has pretty much been don't be an idiot and ya probably won't get bit. There's a reason that most venomous snake bites in the US involve alcohol..."HEY GUYS, watch this!!"

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I only recall small, dark, round eyes. I can't say I saw lids.
Probably be hard to tell unless you were holding it. Glass lizard seems pretty sure.
Eye lids, external ear openings, slim head with no neck, slender body.

Ya know, a few months ago I was running at a different park and saw something similar. I didn't post it here, and now I realize that it was also a glass lizard. Here's the shot I took of it (This one had expired.)

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Yup and missing the tail it looks like. Good thing they grow back! Well...not in this case.

Pretty one.

Snakes and insects, insects and snakes, just a part of life in Florida.

Man, I don't know how you people handle it. I wouldn't even leave my bedroom without carrying at least my this:

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 96
Cottonmouth, maybe. Can't tell too much detail from your pic. Definitely looks too heavy bodied for a garter.
Wish I could have gotten a better look at the head. There is definitely some banding visible on the original photo that makes it look like a water moc to me. Just a bit skinny toward the tail.

Top Bottom