What's new

Smoke Eater

Here is a pic of mine and a few oils.
proxy.php

Sorry about the threadjack, but I gotta ask...Matt, what's your take on the Apple Spice from Leinie's?

M

modern man

Somke more.

That way the good baccy smell sticks around.

Admit it you like the way I think. :sneaky2:

Sorry about the threadjack, but I gotta ask...Matt, what's your take on the Apple Spice from Leinie's?

A more appropriate name for it would be "$h!^& Spice". :wink:

My very humble opinion is that Apple Spice is disgusting crap and should be discontinued by Leinie's ASAFP.:biggrin1:

One of my brother's really likes it, but he also likes Berry Weiss so that tells you want kind of beer drinker he is. Honestly, if you want a cider, Woodchuck would be a far better choice in my book.

A more appropriate name for it would be "$h!^& Spice". :wink:

My very humble opinion is that Apple Spice is disgusting crap and should be discontinued by Leinie's ASAFP.:biggrin1:

One of my brother's really likes it, but he also likes Berry Weiss so that tells you want kind of beer drinker he is. Honestly, if you want a cider, Woodchuck would be a far better choice in my book.

I'm an admitted beer snob, but I have to confess that I secretly look forward to the release of the Apple Spice each year. :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Haha, just noticed the little "F" slipped in there. :biggrin:

I'm an admitted beer snob, but I have to confess that I secretly look forward to the release of the Apple Spice each year. :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Haha, just noticed the little "F" slipped in there. :biggrin:

I'll take which two things don't go together for $500, Alex. :lol:

Really? I've found that the people that are more into beer(I don't really know any "beer snobs" per say, just a lot of people that appreciate good beer), really don't like it, while those who will drink just about anything LOVE it. To each his own, but your beer recommendations just went out the window. :wink:

At the risk of being on topic, I can say that you aren't limited to available Lampe Berger fuels for scents. You can make your own quite nicely from 93% isopropyl alcohol (damned cheap at Walmart), your preferred fragrance oil, and a wee bit of water. That's what's worked for me the last three years. I've got the specific recipe on the h.d. PM me for specifics.

Wayne

Matt,
I saw them today in a big Cigar store in Ramsey NJ and did not know what they were. Is there an on line source? what does it cost to get set up? Thanks,

Jim,

I actually came across an online store that sold cigars and Lampe Bergers as well. Darned if I remember what it was called though. I know there are lots of online Lampe Berger retailers, a google search should throw lots of options your way. However, my searching hasn't been of much good as the price doesn't seem to vary between online and B&M retailers. So if you can get them locally, chances are that is the best price you will find.

As for price, they start around $40(mine was $50)and get pretty unreasonable from there. There was a limited edition I saw in a catalog that was $3400. Coincidentally enough, I also heard Donald Trump as this model in his bathroom(what does that tell ya?). Most fall into the $85-$150 range and are very nice looking pieces. The lamps come with everything you need to get started(catalyst and all), most even include a sample of oil. Special note: Do not completely fill the lamp with oil, most seem to reccommed filling to about 2/3 full.

The oil(and I was incorrect in my previous post)goes for about $18 for a half liter. There fragrance list is huge, so you are bound to find something you like. And as I said, mixing them is a great way to make your own custom scent. And Wayne's homemade oil sounds interesting as well and I'm sure would work just fine.

EDIT: And because pronunciation is something I always have trouble with, Lampe Berger is properly pronounced: LAM-BUR SHAY

Jim,

I actually came across an online store that sold cigars and Lampe Bergers as well. Darned if I remember what it was called though. I know there are lots of online Lampe Berger retailers, a google search should throw lots of options your way. However, my searching hasn't been of much good as the price doesn't seem to vary between online and B&M retailers. So if you can get them locally, chances are that is the best price you will find.

As for price, they start around $40(mine was $50)and get pretty unreasonable from there. There was a limited edition I saw in a catalog that was $3400. Coincidentally enough, I also heard Donald Trump as this model in his bathroom(what does that tell ya?). Most fall into the $85-$150 range and are very nice looking pieces. The lamps come with everything you need to get started(catalyst and all), most even include a sample of oil. Special note: Do not completely fill the lamp with oil, most seem to reccommed filling to about 2/3 full.

The oil(and I was incorrect in my previous post)goes for about $18 for a half liter. There fragrance list is huge, so you are bound to find something you like. And as I said, mixing them is a great way to make your own custom scent. And Wayne's homemade oil sounds interesting as well and I'm sure would work just fine.

Thanks Matt,
Do they use Eo's?

Dangit I'm drooling. I've got a new kitchen coming my way at the end of next month and something like this would be wonderful it it!

(and yeah, I'd like to be able to have the rare pipe inside instead of huddled outside in the cold.) :wink:

+1

When the smoke goes into the air of a room it dissipates and starts collecting on all of the exposed surfaces, including the walls and ceiling. So even when the air clears, the smell comes back off of everything in the room. I witnessed that in restaurants after local smoking bans went into effect. Long after smoking inside stopped it still smelled like stale cigarettes.
We just toured the Biltmore Mansion, built in the 1880's. Of course, they had several "Man Rooms", one of which was the cigar and pipe room. The curator said that even after decades of non-smoking, people would still comment on being able to detect the smell when passing by on the tour.

I use a Holmes air filter that I got at Wallyworld. It works well enough that my wife will join me for a movie in "my place" (its where I can watch the good guys romp the bad guys loudly). I will sometimes add a smokers candle and is all very economical.

Lampe Berger update-

Ok I picked up a Lampe Berger,the same model as Matt BTW, and from the link Austin recommended(nice folks, I would recommend) a couple of comments and a request for ideas.

The lamp is the very simple and seems well made,I was somewhat disappointed in the quality of the metal fittings they are very light stamped white metal, I do not think it will affect the performance at all, I noticed that they sell heavier upgraded ones as well so I imagine I am not alone in that respect.

The real and actual disappointment I have is with the two fragrances that I chose- Rosebay and Winterwood.

The Rosebay is a horror beyond my scope of expression, it makes Fab Landry detergent smell like Blenheim.

The winterwood is not as bad- just not nice. These are definitely fragrance oils, very synthetic and one dimensional. (Please note-If my opine is different then someone who is reading this- my apology )

The question I am looking to answer can I make my own with eo's, does anyone have a recommendation for another "flavor'?

Thanks all.

Lampe Berger update-

Ok I picked up a Lampe Berger,the same model as Matt BTW, and from the link Austin recommended(nice folks, I would recommend) a couple of comments and a request for ideas.

The lamp is the very simple and seems well made,I was somewhat disappointed in the quality of the metal fittings they are very light stamped white metal, I do not think it will affect the performance at all, I noticed that they sell heavier upgraded ones as well so I imagine I am not alone in that respect.

The real and actual disappointment I have is with the two fragrances that I chose- Rosebay and Winterwood.

The Rosebay is a horror beyond my scope of expression, it makes Fab Landry detergent smell like Blenheim.

The winterwood is not as bad- just not nice. These are definitely fragrance oils, very synthetic and one dimensional. (Please note-If my opine is different then someone who is reading this- my apology )

The question I am looking to answer can I make my own with eo's, does anyone have a recommendation for another "flavor'?

Thanks all.

Unfortunately, I too have found that the oils are hit or miss. In my findings the ones to stay away from are:

Strawberry Kiwi - Almost no scent at all, which is kind of the point.
Jasmine - I love Jasmine, but the scent was so overwhelming I couldn't leave the lamp to burn long enough to permanently remove the odors.

Top Bottom